Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

C# 7

Discussion in '2017.1 Beta' started by makeshiftwings, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I noticed the new .NET 4.6 mode only supports C# 6 by default. Is there any way to enable C# 7 support?

Xepherys likes this.
  2. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Bumb that, C# 7 rocks.

Note however that you can already use most of the C# 7 features if you compile your code into a library inside VS 2017. Out variables, pattern matching, local functions all work out of the box. I haven't tested tuples but they should work (as noted here) if you import the System.ValueTuple package.

x0r and Qbit86 like this.
  3. thomak-dev

thomak-dev

I'd like to use C#7 in Unity too. Return by ref is a really nice language feature for optimization. At this rate we are just going to get another outdated C# version as the new default

Xepherys and Qbit86 like this.
  4. stefan_furcht

stefan_furcht

Seconded, C# 7 is better than 4,5 & 6 together.

5. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Mono only recently introduced c# 7 support, so time is needed to let it stabilize then integrate, test and move things forward. Now that we're working more closely with the .Net Foundation, expect things to move faster - however this topic is not pertinent to this beta.

Ryiah, WendelinReich and elbows like this.
  6. elbows

elbows

Sounds cool to me, confirms what I thought that the long period where the mono/.NET side of things was in a sort of limbo (apart from IL2CPP) was due to factors that are now gone and so is now well behind us :)

7. PedroGV

PedroGV

ETA for c# 7 (after Unity 2017 gets released)?

8. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

No ETA other than we'll be working on it and getting it stable from our side.

6Jarv9 and Flurgle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity