Search Unity

Bypass iPhone Ring/Silent Switch?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by supdawg, Sep 20, 2015.

1. supdawg

supdawg

Hi, Im not very familiar with using or building for iOS so im seeking advice about the use of the 'Ring/Silent switch', and if possible a way to bypass.

It seems Unity by default mutes audio when this switch is enabled. lm a little confused why it would do this when a) this buttons function is surely just to enable/disable the ringer and b) it also accepts volume and mute instructions from the separate system audio levels.

Many apps bypass the Ring/Silent Switch, why doesnt Unity? Is there a reason why i shouldnt seek to do this? If not how to I do it?

2. BenoitFreslon

BenoitFreslon

Hello Supdawg,

Did you find how to ignore the mute button on iOS?

Thanks.

3. supdawg

supdawg

4. LilGames

LilGames

I just wanted to comment on this in case anyone else comes across it Googling, like I did.
    The purpose of the mute switch is to mute all sound except important ones like the Alarm, etc. Apple Developer Guidelines: https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/interaction/audio/

If your app is a game, you should allow the switch to mute audio. Any games doing this are not "bypassing" the switch, they are failing to implement the recommended guidelines. Apple is not very strict with this requirement though.

Now if your app fits one of the categories that Apple recommends can be permitted to ignore this switch, then you have a valid concern in wanting to bypass what Unity is doing by default.

5. monark

monark

Weirdly their own app Garage Band ignores this advice.... go figure.

6. monark

monark

I wonder if there is at least a way to detect the mute is on so that you tell the user...

7. Johannski

Johannski

8. monark

monark

unityunity