Search Unity

Buying PC Unity Projects

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DjanboInteractiveUK, Nov 13, 2018.

1. DjanboInteractiveUK

DjanboInteractiveUK

Hello all,

My games company has just started up registered UK company and we are looking to buy a project for our first game rather to come up with one from scratch. Kinda like bethesda did with Fallout.

What projects do people have to sell? It has to be PC developed. Nothing for mobile. We are only interested in games built for PC/Steam

thank you

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Umm... that's not what happened with Fallout at all...

3. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Is this legal if the Project would include bought assets from the asset store?

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

...That's a good question. I don't know who could answer this. @hippocoder is the only mod I can think of off the top of my head, so maybe they know who to ask?

hippocoder likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you buy also assets, it will be totally legal.
    Basically you need to be licence owner.

Is just like asking freelnacer to work on your project.
    Freelancer would need have access to used assets and have the right to use them.

In most cases you won't be able to resale asset licence I think.
    But transfer did happen in past, as far I remember.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is not legal to buy a project that contains 3rd party licenses of any kind without first securing licenses for those beforehand.

Example project A contains EasyRoads from assset store. In order to buy Example project A you must *first* purchase your own license of EasyRoads because licenses are not transferable in this situation (it counts as selling the asset yourself) Also, some licenses are per seat, so you would need multiple licenses.

It's easy to figure out: you make a list of the assets, then you go to asset store and buy licenses. Then you buy the project.

You would want licenses anyway else you would not be able to update these parts of the project. And finally, the OP has a bad business model that will fail. These things pop up every couple of years and vanish without trace after a while.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am not sure, If I could call this business model at all.
    Or at least not very well thought.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I've been curious about this situation regarding deprecated assets. License cannot be purchased from the Asset Store, but the license terms are still in effect preventing transfer. For example, the project I'm using contains Ceto Ocean System which is deprecated but still works well. If I for some reason chose to sell my game to another developer, the only way I can think of to do that is to sell my entire company so the asset licenses I purchased for my company would then belong to whoever bought my company. Unity should create a way for transferring asset licenses in this specific corner case. (I'm not actually trying to sell my game to another developer, I just work by day in QA and all the time think about ways to break systems)

Antypodish likes this.
  9. Socrates

Socrates

If I were in that situation, I would contact the Unity Asset Store team directly. First, I would ask if there was any way for them to sell additional licenses? If not, I would ask them to provide contact information for the publisher of whatever asset or assets I needed additional licenses for. Then I would contact the publisher and offer to purchase the necessary additional license, with the understanding that there was no additional support and that there would be no additional download capability beyond the copy I already had in my possession.

This is basically the same thing I would do if I had an asset that required one license per seat and I needed more seats.

Note that there would have to be the additional steps of figuring out exactly how the license worked. If you buy it straight from the Unity Asset Store, everything is covered by the standard license and legal language. If you're not using that language, the lawyers are going to want to know what language you're using. They like things nicely written down. (You might be able to just agree in writing with the asset developer that the same license applies, as far as it can since neither of you is Unity. I am not a lawyer, so I can't say for sure on this how solid that would be.)

10. YourPST_Studios

YourPST_Studios

I am curious about this. What is your company? (I'm assuming your name has something to do with it but I have not found a site yet) What is your budget? What type of games? Also, Fallout was sold as a franchise, not a finished game. Sure, the idea was already there but the product itself was not.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    DjanboInteractiveUK likes this.
  11. DjanboInteractiveUK

DjanboInteractiveUK

Hi apologies, Not been active lately, www.djanbo.co.uk is the domain, Ive had a quick read through some comments and i fully understand what people are saying, I didnt explain what i meant clearly, By buying an already started project. It would give me a clearer vision on the style of games Id like djanbo to be building etc. Ive currently gone through several ideas, each one has come to a dead end for various reasons, Such as a american indian based game we were looking into. We had trouble finding voice actors who could voice the accent and sounds of a genuine american indian (apologies if this isnt the correct term im british) so it wouldnt feel right so that idea came to a dead end. Then there was a mafia style game which we sort of looked into and realised the Mafia series already has that covered so Djanbo making one would feel like a cheaper rip off version of the mafia series..

hopefully this is explained abit better.

12. DjanboInteractiveUK

DjanboInteractiveUK

However I do want to focus on RPG based games. Its the style of games I like to play and to my belief I think RPG based games are one of the most sold style of games. Along with action adventure etc.

13. DjanboInteractiveUK

DjanboInteractiveUK

Also, its more so the idea im interested in not the literal project. I should have been more clearer on that too. The game itself I have no problem making. Its the ideas that are my shortfall. Im not much of an "idea man"

14. Teila

Teila

Why not buy a template for an RPG and then make your game with that? You will get everything you want in an rpg and then just have to deal with the story. I realize you are not the idea man, but you can get ideas from all sorts of places, such as myths, the news, etc. I recommend Game Creator for an rpg.

As for the voice acting, you can still make an rpg with text dialogue. Honestly, the idea is the nucleus of the game. I am guessing most folks who want to sell a partially created game are not idea people either. :) They, like many, just started the basic goal of making an rpg...but have never thought out the story and the content in the game. If they had, they would more than likely not want to sell it.

On the other hand, if you have no idea, make a simple game without a story, something casual, easy to make. It will get you started and then you may get some ideas along the way. :)

15. DjanboInteractiveUK

DjanboInteractiveUK

Hi, Thanks for the advice, I think i may be onto something at the moment

thank you

16. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

And using the new Unity FPS example?