Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Unity3d pro For $99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brendonvdm, Aug 29, 2011.

?

Would you buy unity3d if it coted only $99

1. Definite Yes

54.2%
  2. Definite No

45.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

But, I can say that's why I bought the Pro version when Unity was made available for Windows.
    Hobbyist at work... :)

2. c-Row

c-Row

Ok, I am gonna be honest - all we really want is the pro skin. :( Game development just isn't the same without it.

3. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

Screenshots? :p

4. adaman

adaman

A lot of people here who want Unity Pro to be $99 should really stop wasting their time on this thread and be happy that there is a free version. You should think of it as a game. Create something awesome with Unity Free. Make some money with it and then use that money to level up to Unity Pro. Don't make the $1500 Unity Pro an obstacle. A lot of people want to be successful game developers, but aren't willing to put in the time.

5. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

@Tiles (and all those who can't pay for UNITY PRO)

How about alternative method of repayment? Since the problem seems to be the "majority" who found Unity Pro too expensive because of the initial upfront cost which creates a barrier to entry, how about a subscription based repayment system? You pay $48 every month for 36 months (Unity refresh cycle seems to be every 3 years), with 5% interest (I am being very generious here, most bank wouldn't give you a 5% mortgage interest).

$1500* 5% interest = $75 per year
    $75 * 3 year = $225
    $1500 + $225 = $1725
    $1725 / 36 month = $47.91
    Let's round this up to $48

This is know as Rent-to-own, also known as rental-purchase.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-to-own

And all you pay is $48 a month. That works out to be $12 per week, or $1.60 per day! CHEAP! So for the price of a can of Coke every day you can own Unity in 3 years! I am sure a lot of you probably smoke a pack of cigarette (which cost $12 here now) every day or have a cup of Starbucks coffee or a can of coke everyday. You just need to set aside your addiction, and get a new addiction known as Unity and put that money into that addiction.

Does this seem more acceptable?

How about that?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Is it funny or sad that there are two threads covering the exact same information causing you to post that twice?

EDIT: My reply in another thread:

7. LaneFox

LaneFox

8. Tiles

Tiles

It makes too much fun to lead discussions like these, and watch you guys freakin out. That`s why i am still here ;)

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is engaging mentally, its nice to have a bit of a discussion on the go, providing all is civil :)

10. Redbeer

Redbeer

Actually, asking for lower pricing is not ridiculous. If consumer demand is for the price to go down, and if enough people don't buy at that current price, odds are a lower priced model with similar features will become available, or the price will go down on what is already available.

I get what you're saying, the pleading of the individual doesn't matter, and it doesn't, but the idea that "the price is the price", like it or don't buy it, is counter to the way markets should, and do, work, because it's supposed to be a consumer pool of "many", not just one guy yelling into the abyss.
    Software is obviously a slightly different animal, but the theory is the same.

This is where that weird extreme thinking "well if I don't pay such and such money, the company won't make any money and everyone will be fired". That's bogus thinking. When you demand a lower price, you're saying a) I'm happy for the company to make a profit, just not whatever profit they arbitrarily decide, b) as a company you should be able to adjust to the market to fit the consumers need by becoming more efficient, or demanding lower pricing from your suppliers (in the case of physical products), or companies that outsource.

There's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's what everyone "should" be demanding from any company, but unfortunately there's a whole plethora of people who seem to think that it's their duty to defend corporate products and pricing, for whatever reason.

11. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Companies do not set profit margins our of thin air, they are set based on Market conditions/future plans the whole lot. I wish I could set arbitrary profits for my business.

If the price is too high the Market/competition will push it down.

Of course it is always ok to ask for a better price when buying something. In many cases you may get a better price through negotiation

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

Oh but apparently you can, just drop your prices and everyone will buy your services/product.

Didn't you know?

13. niosop2

niosop2

I think those of us that don't want to see a $99 price point are not so much concerned with Unity making big profits or going out of business as we are about them having enough to continue improving the engine at a rapid rate. If Unity could make more money at a $99 price point, I'm all for it, but I'm assuming they've crunched the numbers and are at the current price point for a reason. I honestly don't care about making Pro features accessible to more people (sorry guys, but they do offer a FREE version, which doesn't give you much room to complain), what I do care about is Unity adding more Pro features (or more features in general). I'm willing to pay the premium if it allows them to continue licencing middleware and hiring smart people.

And for those who think that existing Pro users are only defending the existing price point because that's what we paid for it, keep in mind that if the price was reduced, then upgrade prices would likely drop as well, so any price reduction would also benefit existing Pro licence holders.

tl;dr Unity should charge whatever makes them the most money so they can make Unity even more kick ass.

14. c-Row

c-Row

Well, me managed to get to page 16 without anybody getting personal. :)

15. echologin

echologin

Darth Vader, only you could be so bold, the imperial senate will not stand still for THIS !

16. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

<Me imagining EchoLogin in Princess Leia dress.....>
    OH YES. OH YES YES YES. FAP FAP FAP..

17. galent

galent

If I remember the story line correctly, Echo you can now answer the question "who's your daddy" :)

18. echologin

echologin

Who is your daddy, and what does he a Dew ( said with austrian accent )

19. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Sure they will, they are all posting on the Imperial forums:

"Helpp!! StarDestroyer expodes for no reason when Tie Fighter flies in to radar dome!"

"Guys! Starting a new DeathStar. Who wants to be one my million stomtoopers? also need logo"

"Can't force choke, can't block blasters, wan to be jedi, what easiest route without learning anything? Need answer ASAP! Bump! Bump! WTF nobody make me jedi yet?!?111"

20. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

You are a sick, sick man. I like you.

21. Mike L

Mike L

I'm quite sure there were more than a million troopers

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

You forgot the best one yet..
    "I want my Death Star for $99 dollars! Why can't the Empire just sell me the Death Star for $99 dollars !!!? WTF BBQ!!1111"

23. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Citation needed.

24. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Oh, way to bring it back on topic... you fail at trolling. :)

25. Mike L

Mike L

gah, ok, fine.

The population of 31,622,963 postulated for the Death Star I in The Technical Book of Science Fiction Films

BAM!!

26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Except it didn't. Unity Pro has always been $1500 since the beginning, excluding a few limited-time sales.

Only if they want to make less money.

--Eric

27. c-Row

c-Row

They would all buy their own Deathstar if it was $99 only. Imagine the profit! :D

28. echologin

echologin

Dont try to frighten us with your sorcerers ways, Lord vader. you sad devotion to that ancient religion has not let you conjure up a cheeper price for unity. Gaspp Gassp

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your shaders are weak old man.

30. echologin

echologin

but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful program cross compiling to everything! There's no mystical energy field that controls my ports. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

31. Mike L

Mike L

STOP WITH THE OBSESSIVE STAR WARS REFERENCES :D (rofl) ha ha ha!!

32. saymoo

saymoo

And still i'm sitting here at home... in 2011.. :)

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

What the 'eck: "This is not the price you're looking for."

--Eric

34. echologin

echologin

This bickering is pointless. Now Lord Vader will provide us with a proper price point. We will then crush the Compitition with one swift stroke.

35. Mike L

Mike L

:D HA HA HA HA HA YOU GUYS ARE HILARIOUS!! when does it end?!?!

36. echologin

echologin

That's your uncle talking

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

I vote that the dollar price for Pro should be set at however many replies this post gets before its locked.

38. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Is that a challenge? Be prepared for the $3,497 Unity3D Pro.

39. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Humperdinck: There was a mighty thread duel. It ranged all over. Everyone involved were master trolls.

Count Rugen: Who won? How did it end?

Humperdinck: The losers.... ran off alone, and the clear winner followed these threads into the forums... toward Collaboration.

40. LaneFox

LaneFox

Inconceivable!

41. drewradley

drewradley

Hokey software and ancient programming languages are no match for good unity skills.

42. echologin

echologin

you've beaten my Programers, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the middleware in your own computer, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the computer in front of you. But, you've also bested my Manager, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the middleware as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the mac in front of me.

43. Mike L

Mike L

is that a the prince's bride reference?

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Incontheivable!

45. echologin

echologin

You killed my hard drive, prepare to die

46. Redbeer

Redbeer

Unity Sales: We're not dropping the price just yet.

Unity Solo User: You are for ME, salespeople. Look, I ain’t in this for your revolutionary features, and I’m not in it for you, Unity Developers. I expect a much lower price! I’M in it for the money!

Unity Sales: You needn’t worry about your price drop. If money is all that you love, then that’s what you’ll receive. Your friend is quite the penny pincher. I wonder if he really cares about anything, or any company.

Hippocoder: (calling after Unity Sales) I care.

47. echologin

echologin

thats a good one lol hippo " i care" classic

im still lafing lol

48. Mike L

Mike L

ha ha, more star wars, and more prince's bride from echologin

49. echologin

echologin

that one wasnt mine was redbeer

50. echologin

echologin

And what of the price drop? If the whiners have obtained a complete technical readout of this Unity, it is possible - however unlikely - that they might find a weakness and exploit it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.