Search Unity

Buy Unity3d pro For $99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brendonvdm, Aug 29, 2011.

?

Would you buy unity3d if it coted only $99

1. Definite Yes

54.2%
  2. Definite No

45.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echologin

echologin

I thought this was about being creative, people got creative with price this is the evolution of that

( we are suppose to be game makers )

2. saymoo

saymoo

ehm, this thread has a subject.. by discussing the humor in pictures posted, aint contributing to that subject at all ;)
    You can be creative as much as you want, but try to stay ontopic :)

3. echologin

echologin

This is on topic, its a look into the future of a price drop and its effect on unity as a company ;)

( i gotta get back to work anyways ttl )

4. QFS

QFS

Why is everyone getting heated up? I mean come on, we are just talking about price of a product. Its not your company, so why give such a big S*** over some discussions? Whether Unity makes millions or nothing at all should only be concerning to the owners/shareholders/employees.

As consumers of said product the only thing we should care about is not getting ripped off or being taken advantage of.

Personally I could care less whether Unity Pro was $1500 or $99. It would not change my view of it. Price only affects whether someone, at that point in time, has that amount to spend on it. They weigh the pros and cons of spending that amount and whether its justified to them. The higher the price of something, the less likely someone will justify spending that amount.

Unity will eventually have to reassess their price and product in comparison to the competition. Its unavoidable. Just like when they made Unity Indie into the free version. It pissed off many people, but it had to be done, otherwise UDK would have railroaded them and their efforts. If the competition keeps outdoing them, then Unity has to keep up or out do them, or face serious losses.

Depending on what City/State/Province/Country you live in, $1500 is either a piece of cake or impossible to save up. Here in Ontario Canada, $1400 - $1600 is a full-time, above minimum wage net income for a month of work. So unless you literally have no other expenses, debts, saving up for Unity Pro is a luxury. Average Canadian income $34,000/year. ($30,000 salary = $1890 net/month after federal taxes, provincial taxes, EI, CCP).

5. scarpelius

scarpelius

Why not make the Unity Free $99 instead? I bet there will be much more money coming and a lot less stupid questions on the forum.

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Errrmm..... if you are struggling with even $99 dollars, you have a much MUCH bigger problem than to care about game development. Just saying. Maybe something like food and a place to stay is much higher priority than game development.

Hell I would even go as far to say with less than $1500 as disposable income you should not be developing game. You should focus on surviving in the real world like getting several jobs. I am flabbergasted by how many people here who seems to jump into game development with absolutely no plan or no backup plan. Seriously, if you don't have more than $1500 as disposable income, you are already in trouble. Any types of accident and you have nothing to fall back on and your ass is on the street.

I have never heard of a credit card company that would give you unlimited term of repayment. Have you?

7. Tiles

Tiles

Maybe because then Unity would be back in the situation in which it was before there was a free version of Unity? Relatively unknown and unused? One of many engines?

But i fear the stupid questions and answers would even then remain.

Just to repeat myself. Lucky you when your personal situation allows you to spend 1500 bucks for a hobby with a finger snap. And enjoy it. Real life may also catch you sooner or later ;)

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

The guy in the middle looks a lot like Aras. Is that where UT found him? :D

I AM KIDDIN'! I AM KIDDIN'!

We all love you even if you were a hobo!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am not sure if you understand this.... if you have a secondary school education and wants to make it in game development business....

Oh F*** it I will be brutally honest, if you can't make above minimum wage you probably don't have the intelligence to use Unity anyway! :D

I am kiddin' of course. But seriously, if you can't make above minimum wage, you are not going to have enough free time to do game development. You have a much bigger problem than to care for game development.

10. jackshiels

jackshiels

Don't be bitter. Most Pro users earned the license with hard work and perseverance (myself included, i.e. 9 months of cruddy App Store sales before we finally got a hit).

11. Tiles

Tiles

Nope. I just had a portion of real life already ;)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you realise echologin is a legend of the game industry and has worked at apogee with id software? it makes me scream with laughter that you guys want to knock him down. Half of you don't know who you're talking to on these forums sometimes. A little sense of humour goes a long way in game development.

Echo was making PC games before half of you were even born.

Next we'll have people disagreeing with david h of unity. Oh wait, you do. Just enjoy unity free, its not reduced, its not less, its not a crap product. It's fantastic. Don't ask for more, its insulting.

13. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Correction: If you can't make above minimum wage, thats why you have Unity Free!

I really don't understand the mentality that you need Pro to make a decent game. The free version is incredible! Especially for... being free!

If you really want the Pro features, release your game in free version, make $1500, then upgrade!
    If you don't plan on making money with the free version, why do you need Pro?

14. jackshiels

jackshiels

For realz? I thought his only purpose here was to slam dunk the MMO dudes back into place... it was funny :p

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah but that just shows a sense of humour.

There are a hell of a lot of bigger players on unity forums but unlike me, they don't post much :D

16. Tiles

Tiles

You guys are really funny. I can repeat it again and again. And you simply ignore all arguments. Hobby developers DO NOT EARN MONEY (i hate capslock, but maybe now you notice it? ) from making games. So how do they buy the Pro from making money with their games? There`s a little causal gap, don`t you think? :)

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They don't. Suck it up, life isn't fair.

18. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

They don't.

EDIT: Suck it up, life isn't fair.
    (after seeing hippocoders post) :p

19. jackshiels

jackshiels

So go use another (free) engine if you want to make games. If you make them for yourself, surely you can bypass the lack of Pro features? It's a professional product - the education discount exists for a reason, why don't you buy that?

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

And it's $99.

21. jackshiels

jackshiels

22. echologin

echologin

How do hobbyist musicians get real equipment ? surely not begging for price drops they save
    ( I never saw a free piano line ? ) Some of my musician friends have crappy jobs but they
    save for real equipment. why in software industry do people think they are entitled to use
    what pros use but do not want to earn it.

hobbyist's use the free or iphone basic version, what is wrong with it exactly ? you think a profiler and a few features are the only things standing in your way of fame and fortune.

Hell I was thinking of getting pro before release of my app, now im defiantly gonna prove you can make money with a basic license

I wouldn't go that far, but thanks !

23. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Make him your bitch !!
    Am I right John? It is John right? :D

24. Tiles

Tiles

I would. But this educational discount just counts for educational institutions, unfortunately. A pensioner license would be neat :)

We go in circles, discussionwise. I already bypass the lack of Pro features here and there. But this doesn`t change the fact that i cannot afford the Pro. And that Unity does not earn a single dime at me that way.

25. Mike L

Mike L

Oh, even better, give them a RED Epic (58k or something like that) :D

26. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yep, thats because the software isn't meant for you.

When you do have enough money for Unity, you would (most likely) buy it instead of another engine.

27. Tiles

Tiles

LOL. Another clever businessman. Have you really nothing learned from the Unity success story? :)

28. LaneFox

LaneFox

Things cost money, if you cant afford Pro then use the free version, its quite adequate.

29. Tiles

Tiles

Sure, but sometimes things costs too much money ...

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Then don't buy them.

31. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Why yes I did, they created a Free version of their software. Thats the one you should be using.

32. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Don't we all?

33. Phil W

Phil W

In the interests of sanity, some humour:

Drop into a blank scene...

* Made with Unity Pro

34. Ender13

Ender13

This thread is hilarious. :rolleyes:

35. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

In order to stop the loop we have gotten into, why should Unity tend to your economic needs while others are just fine paying the full price?

36. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I completely agree. you need to change the variable "camera" to "cam" to make it work, though.

37. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

This

38. Phil W

Phil W

It was a mini IQ test. You've passed.

(actually added it manually in situ, but didn't double check :p).

39. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I feel so special right now :cool:

40. Tiles

Tiles

Because it would be a Win Win situation for both sides from my angle of view. Hobbyists could afford the Pro when it would be cheaper, and Unity would earn even more money. To repeat a former calculation. Let`s say you have 100 customers. 10 can pay 1500 bucks. 90 can just pay 500 bucks though. Now the master question: With which price would you earn more?

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tiles, you have frequently admitted you don't have much money. What makes you think given your own experiences in life, that you are qualified to give advice on making more money?

I rest my case.

42. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

QUICK! The Poll is at 50:50! Lock this thread before something else happens!

43. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Because business and economics are not that clear cut in a niche industry like game development engines, and the numbers would never be like they are in your made-up scenario. See Eric's post, earlier:

If any analytical data hinted at the possibility of a price cut proportionally increasing the paying user base, Unity would do it. It doesn't, so they don't.

44. Tiles

Tiles

Good point. It`s not always lack of talent or being stupid though when you are not able to earn money. I`m in a special situation. I`m a pensioner because of health problems. I am simply not able to work anymore. But it doesn`t need to be this dramatic like in my case. Just have children, and a house to pay ...

I have open eyes though. And have a close look at the hobby scene since years from more than one angle. I have followed and analyzed the success story of Unity. And came to the above conclusion. Unity already did the first step to blow the other companies away. It is inconsequent not to do the second step too. And that would be to lower the price of the Pro so that Hobbyists can afford it.

And what makes you think that you are right with your point of view? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
  45. Tiles

Tiles

We don`t know that. We don`t know the reason. We just know that Unity hasn`t lowered the price yet.

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have a disability and I'm fairly old myself, I also have a child and bills. That doesn't change my point which is: What makes you think given your own experiences in life, that you are qualified to give advice on making more money?

I certainly don't pretend to know better than a company that employs over 100 people and has an excellent market leading position. That fact alone tells you they know what they are doing. Have you employed 100+ staff?

47. niosop2

niosop2

When it comes to business there is only one reason - profit. If they haven't done it then it's because they don't see it increasing profits in the long term.

48. Tiles

Tiles

It`s the same reason that qualifies you to argue from the opposite point. Experience. We both could be totally wrong about this issue here. Because what we both don`t know is how big the paying userbase really is, compared to the free users. And we don`t know the costs for all the licensed technology. All i know is how big the hobby market is. As told, it is huge. And all i know is that Unity ignores this market yet. The assets store was a step into the right direction. Hobbyists needs assets too. But the engine itself is still out of reach.

Yeah, maybe i would ruin the company with the decision to lower the price. But maybe it would lead to even more earnings though. And i still think that the second thing would happen.

For long years nobody of the professionals made a free version of a game engine ever. They even held the price astronomically high for the professional game engines. I remember that i have read about 200.000 bucks license fees for just using the game engine. They all had just one reason: profit.

Then Unity released a FREE version, and made MUCH MORE profit. And nowadays it is at the top of the market. Amazing, isn`t it ? ;)

49. LaneFox

LaneFox

there should be a way to remove crappy threads from the new posts feed.

50. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.