Search Unity

Buy Unity3d pro For $99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brendonvdm, Aug 29, 2011.

?

Would you buy unity3d if it coted only $99

1. Definite Yes

54.2%
  2. Definite No

45.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

We are doing a survey to find out how many people would buy unity3d pro for $99
    Then we will show unity the statistics we have gatherd and try get them to reduce the cost to $99
    We think that unity could make much more money by selling it for cheaper as much more people would by it.

We also think that developers for games are turning their heads to unitys price because when the next majour version ("unity version 4.0")comes out they will have to pay that heafty amount again.

Unity3d will probably be seen as a better engine because more games from unity are getting all the pro features like lens effects and real time shadowing...

We urge you to get as many people as possible to view this page and post their vote.

Thank you in advanced Brendon van der meijden :grin:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    If the price is cheaper more people wuld buy it ,if more people buy it they could maybe make the same amount of profit in the end of the day as they do for selling it at its current price , it could also get unity3d further on the map so much more new people join the unity3d Engine, we believe they could atleast get 1.1% more profit than they are getting now

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I would not buy it because that is stealing!

Unity Pro is worth much more than $1500, I would say the free version is worth that. Making pro $99 is just wrong.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't think so. You don't do business or change businesses with polls. Thats really naive. Business is done by charging the maximum of what equals the most growth. Polls would ruin any business within months.

So... no.

No. Because anyone who is anyone in the business is making finished games with unity pro already. All the people you are talking about aren't finishing anything. There's thousands of tech demos nobody takes any notice of on the web with shadows. Why would making a $99 engine do anything except announce to the world "unity is only good enough to charge $99. It's commercial suicide.

This is just silly.

4. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

No we are not stealing we are planning to ask unity to reduce the price...
    This is not a definite thing that it will happen but we might get to convince unity that they would make more profit by making it cheaper.

Look at unreals licencing agreement that is actually a better deal but this $99 dollars would be nice too

5. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

The pro price should stay as it is. I assume you weren't here when there was no Unity Free. Back in the day, there was Unity Pro, like there is today, and there was Unity Indie, which was $200. Unity free is at least worth that $200. Why would Pro be worth less than Unity Indie once was?

6. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

7. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Nope.. no way Nada.

A poll like this will probably appear to give you an argument, but it would be the same argument as from a poll that says.. hey wazzzzzaaaappppp lets make all assetts free too.

If you want a cheaper price, look for Student licensing and go that way same as all the other software for doing the job.

Unity Pro is worth at least $1500 and probably more, and theres no reason, if you can't afford it, to not use Unity Free until you can.

To devalue the cost of the software would lead to less funds for keeping the free version updated.

My argument would be to charge $99 for Unity Indie (get rid of free) and keep Pro at the same price.. now you have something where everyone is contributing to new features, not just those that believe in it and giving the rest a free ride.

Regards

Graham

8. windexglow

windexglow

But why stop there.
    Pricing it at $25 would result in 60* people buying it.
    At $1 1,500 more people would buy it. This is huge.
    If we continue downward, at $0.01 there would be 155000* more people. This is not enough.
    If we price it at $0.00, we can expect ERROR NULL* more people! And with that many people using unity, think of how much publicity they'd get, getting them even more downloads.

9. Ntero

Ntero

Just because people would buy it for $99 doesn't mean they should sell it at $99.
    I bet a lot of people would buy it for $1, but selling it for $1 would be stupid.

They need to get revenue somehow and having to sell 15x more copies to even match the old price, not to mention that the overhead costs are going to go up(they have more people to support) so they would likely have to sell more than that to even break back to even.

10. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Not exactly more money. Let's do some math.

Unity Pro = $1500
    Wanted price = $99

Wanted:pro customers = 10:1

1*1500 = $1500
    10*99 = $990

$990 is NOT more than $1500

11. Ntero

Ntero

As an addition reducing the price by 93.4% is a bit extreme. Even if a price reduction would be beneficial, Baby Steps.

12. GiusCo

GiusCo

I think this makes no sense: Unity free is good enough to get a foot in the door and Unity free + iOS basic just allows a decent shot at the AppStore (which is the main market for indies)

My fear is the opposite: UT could charge *much more* than $1500 for their 4.0 Pro version because of the tools they are integrating.

13. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

14. Ntero

Ntero

Are you kidding me?
    Unreal's licensing is only a better deal if you fail to accomplish anything. When you agree to royalties you are only cheating your future self.

Dreamora stated it Eloquently a few days ago so I"ll just link to that: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/101849-New-UDK-features-Video?p=668823&viewfull=1#post668823

Just because you don't pay right away up front doesn't mean you don't pay.

15. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

16. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

17. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

There ARE multiple licensing plans.

1. Unity Free
    2. Unity Free + iOS Basic
    3. Unity Free + iOS Basic + Android Basic
    4. Unity Pro
    5. Unity Pro + iOS Basic
    6. Unity Pro + iOS Basic + Android Basic
    7. Unity Pro + iOS Basic + Android Advanced
    8. Unity Pro + iOS Advanced + Android Basic
    9. Unity Pro + iOS Advanced + Android Advanced
    10. Unity Wiiware
    11. Unity Wii Disk
    etc.

18. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

19. brendonvdm

brendonvdm

20. LaneFox

LaneFox

Unity Free is $0.

If you're worried about not being able to turn around $1,500 in profits then you should be more concerned with changing your game design instead of devaluating the development software that you intend to use.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're mega clueless. Unreal asks for $99 just to start selling. Then they hit you with royalty fees if it does well.

22. Ntero

Ntero

That is starting a business venture and planning to fail at it.

23. LaneFox

LaneFox

But, it does make perfect sense if you know you're going to fail terribly and make $0. Royalties are cheap when you don't have any profits to split!

24. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I wouldn't want to. A high set price is better than a low one with royalties. If it does happen, there will have to be royalties to pay for the upkeep of Unity.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Royalties harm serious developers considerably. They also have to do a lot more work with figuring out taxes (paying accountants is really the only option).

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

And, considering the upkeep of a larger, less committed community of "developers" there will probably be very little increase of sales to pull royalties from.

27. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Unless you have an offshore bank account that can't be linked to you. :D

28. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I of course voted no, as I would never, ever want to see Unity go the royalties route, and a flat rate of $1500 is incredibly fair for what Unity Pro offers.

That said, I wish the Unity Pro trial was free indefinitely, and you didn't have to pay the $1500 until you were ready to start distributing your game (sort of like the $99 cost of UDK). I say this only because as a spare-time developer, I don't feel like the 30 days would be enough time to master all the features of Pro.

29. LaneFox

LaneFox

yeah that would be really awesome if it happened, but would defer a whole lot of profits, since a majority of projects fail before launch they wouldnt have a reason to buy it and probably never would.

30. Meltdown

Meltdown

No, the $1500 is well worth this amazing diverse game development suite.

31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please do not encourage pirating unity for any reason, even as a joke. It just makes you look awful. There are alternatives:

1. Unity will extend your unity pro trial if you contact them. They offered that to me at one point so I know they're happy to.
    2. The educational license of unity pro for $99 is a valid option.

32. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Ok. Post deleted.
    Like both of us said: Unity should NEVER be pirated. Every unit of Unity sold deserves more money than it already is worth. I was making a bad joke.

33. galent

galent

I've never used Unity "free", I bought the indie, I bought the Pro (and iOS), and I bought the upgrades... out of pocket.

I have never had cause to regret the money invested, I think Unity has done a stellar job of releasing fantastic updates (some of which could easily have been new products).

I personally have no interest in any royalty schemes (it was one of the things I liked in Unity). And fact is, Unity has thrived in a tough market under the current model. If you want low cost... use the "free". If you like UDK, as far as I know they are selling in the UDK model you described....

Oh, and just in case you were wondering what other great things come with the Unity approach to business... just go strike up this conversation in the UDK official forums (like UDK should adopt a Unity pricing model, I'm trying to pressure the company). I think you'll find a less "warm" official reception :D

Cheers,

Galen

34. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Good point about the educational thing. Maybe I will solicit my niece to let me steal her identity :)

35. RoyS

RoyS

+1

The more we support Unity, the more people they can have on staff to develop it and make it a better product. The more I use Pro, the more I love it.

36. kerters

kerters

I own Unity pro , it's worth every penny.

You will get a major quality toolset for 1500$ with lifetime license.

Without any royalties.

37. LaneFox

LaneFox

i dont think you even need to be an official student of any kind, you just cant sell what you make in the Edu version, is that right?

38. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

To purchase from Studica you have to have a valid student id and student e-mail account, from the looks of it.

39. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

You do need to be a student.
    EDIT: Damn. Legend was faster :D

40. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

unity pro is fine at $1500 as its oriented at larger more professional projects, anyone who is working on small more casual projects its enough with the free version, dropping the price of pro so much doesnt make much sense, i would prefer discounts on selected periods as they did these last days with the 20% discount, but $99 even for me thats cheap for such wonderful tool, when there was the indie i bought it without second thinking and it was $250 or something like that.

unity right now has the best license scheme of the industry, learn with free, make money with free and if you think of going big, theres always unity pro , which if you already made some money with free,the price isnt much of a problem.

its a work investment, its a tool that you will get bigger profit from it,no one argues about the price of computers.. some people buy $2000 computers for their work without much thinking, but then hesitate to buy the software which they will be using for said work, its like buying the nails and then hesitate to buy the hammer

41. ddesmond

ddesmond

If you think it is too expensive, buy something else or build your own game engine. This isn't a flea market.

42. cyangamer

cyangamer

Unity Pro isn't worth $99. Unity isn't even worth $0, but they gotta bring people in somehow so that's that. As implied, Unity Pro is for professionals, so if you're not a professional, the software isn't targeted towards you anyway.

43. saymoo

saymoo

lol, i smiled quite a bit, reading this thread.
    You all aggressively Fighting the OP, like your soul is about to be sold or something. Wicked! ;)

I think, that pricedrops can make a very good increase in sales, so the damage will not be affected on the long run at all.
    Many small sales make a huge pile of money... a few big sales, makes a medium/big pile.
    But i think the bottom price should be between 200 and 500 USD, community release (no UT support, except forums), and a 1500 USD version that does have UT support standby (like phone, email, access to special files etc).

something along those lines anyway...

I agree, that polls won't do much in the end.. but a poll is just a poll to measure some thought amongst users... UT can use, or ignore those results, for their strategies etc.. It's up to them.

Anyway, i votes YES, stricktly to the basic question.. If you can choose between paying much or paying less.. what would you do? Nobody pays more as needed, and IF you have the choice... well.... I guess everyone (like me) would in the end choose the latter, simple as that.

44. Ntero

Ntero

@saymoo,
    If he had said $1200 or even $1000 or a severely limited Pro I don't think people would be so aggressive(me included), but he asked for a 93.4% price decrease and full features. That's ridiculous.

45. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

@brendonvdm I understand that to many people, $1500 seems like a lot of money to spend, but what you're suggesting Unity do would negatively impact the whole Unity community. If you make money with Unity Free, you'll have no trouble paying for pro. If you don't make money with Unity Free, a pro license wouldn't help much until you reworked and revamped your game. Personally, when I buy games, I don't pay for shadows and lack of a splash screen. I pay for the gameplay. Most people won't care if you're game says "Made with Unity." If it's fun enough to spend money on, they'll buy it, and you'll make enough money to add those shadows in.

46. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

What would be interesting to see if is you could say, ok, give me Unity Pro for free, I will work on a game, if I sell the game Unity gets all the profits up to $1500 and then the rest is mine. If I don't sell hardly any copies then Unity gets paid less. If I don't sell any, Unity doesn't get anything either. At least then the `incentive features` in pro wouldn't be off-limits for a variety of games that could be made with it. If we could have like a `personal contract license` that says we will pay all profits to Unity up to $1500 maximum, that would be fine with me. Then we wouldn't need up-front money to overcome that major obstacle. If we make something that doesn't sell and is a dud, then Unity doesn't really lose out because we weren't going to be able to be a customer of Unity Pro anyway.

47. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

This is the best suggestion for an alternative pricing scheme that I've heard so far.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Those wanting unity pro for incredibly small sums of money should stop scrounging off welfare, get a job and buy it. Or make a game and with the proceeds of that one game, afford several copies of unity. Even a crap game will generally make 1500. One of my games took 7 days from start to ship, made over 10k in pure ad revenue alone.

Your laziness is amusing.

I'm tired of losers opening their mouths. Look, I appreciate you having no money. I've been there. I've had to live days without food. I've seen the maw that is real poverty and grew up in a council estate full of crime where nobody could afford a TV.

But I worked my way out. You will be suprised, a small amount of work actually makes quite a bit of money. Give it a try.

49. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You saying to change the price is silly, but your poll is asking if we would buy it if it was 99$. And I think anyone would! but they should not change the price. if they change the price that will be on there terms of business, whether its going good or bad, not some forum poll.

He's right, I made around 240pound this week ($400) from around about 5-6hours work. easy modelling work actually, that is an all time high for me even thou it may not sound like much but it actually made me realize how profitable doing what I do is, considering I make almost 3x more than my friends doing 4-5x less hours a week! People moaning about not having the money for Pro should just do what they love to do, and save up. If all else fails, how about doing what all the peeps my age are doing, write up a CV and get a job burger flipping, stacking shelves or tidying the a shop floor.

50. galent

galent

Soul? If I've given that impression then I must have the wrong wording. Nothing wicked about change. But... given the target market for Unity (which is not general consumer) the current pricing has (if nothing else) proved to be viable in the face of other similar businesses failing financially. And I personally feel like the spend is justified.

It seems no matter what a product is priced at, there's always someone ready to argue that it should be lower (and eventually free). Games, sold via iTunes store, are often sold at .99 cents, that doesn't stop people from hacking and pirating them (even when there is a free version).

While I don't see me building any shrines to Unity, nor praying to David H. for guidance, I do trust that the Unity leadership team have a handle on their business and market. I like what I've been getting for my money. And, for the projects I work on, where Unity fits, I don't see a need to open the "free isn't good enough, I want everything for the price of a Big Mac" can of worms either.

Cheers,

Galen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.