Search Unity

Buy Unity Android Pro and you might get a Nexus One!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

its schedule is independent of the regular 3.0 release.
    given its in alpha I would be willing to bet "nope!" :)

2. midknight

midknight

A few questions:

1) What's the ETA of Unity Android's release? 2010 or 2011? And what quarter?

2) Are there any apps in the Android Marketplace that are using Unity Android beta?

3) Currently, a Unity Android build generates an APK file. Is there going to be a way to add Java code to integrate 3rd party Java libraries like advertising, analytics, etc...

3. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Roughly a few months after Uniy 3.0.

There's one or two so far.

4. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

My phone just arrived, but the phone was sent with the receipt from Unity and now the german Zoll wants 405€ from me for the shipping, which I don't have since I spent everything I had and more on Unity.

It'll be a big hassle until they believe me, that I don't need to pay anything extra, since I already paid 520€ tax because of the "I am a person and not a company" Ireland tax. I'll keep you up to date, what happened.

Yes, I know I shouldn't throw these two things together, but it's the second time I feel screwed with unforseen costs after buying Unity.

5. caitlyn

caitlyn

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about the problem, but we at Unity have no control over whatever taxes or tariffs your country's customs laws imposes on you.

What would you ask us to do to prevent customs from taxing you? If you have any suggestions, please let us know so we can prevent this from happening or otherwise assist you in sorting this out, if possible.

Cheers,

6. midknight

midknight

Thanks. Is there any way to add integrate Java code/libraries?

7. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Please do not put a bill over thousands of euros for already paid and declared software on the outside of a box that you send as a free gift. They think the free Nexus mobile phone you send me costs 2080€ and is in fact software, which is why they try to get money.

Mobile phones don't need another import tax, software does. A bill for software shouldn't be in there at all, if you have some documents for me, send them in an extra envelope.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Technically neither should cause additional taxes as you payed all of them already, independent of the good?
    How do they justify the attempt to tax something on which you can proof that you payed the taxes already as you bought it from an EU company?

Sounds like a clear error on the customs end, they didn't research the company from which you bought it correctly.

And you can technically be happy that they marked with $2800. You would have a hell more trouble to explain why a brand new nexus was marked as gift.

9. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Well, customs in Germany only looked at the declaration, the postal guy even showed it to me, where Unity was declared for 2080€. Not a word about the paid tax in Ireland.
    They haven't opened the package and they don't need to, if they see a bill on the outside of the package.
    Of course they try to bill me again and I have to wait until monday, before I know if the package is lost. You don't know how stuck up the german Zoll can be, they have the papers to proof I bought software and a package from America, so I cannot be sure, if they accept my Ireland tax payment, because import tax and sales tax are two different things.

The package was just declared wrong and I hope this won't happen for anyone else.

10. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I'm also pretty sure to that they think there is some physical Unity License Inside that package that cost 1200 euros. Than it's logical that they will charge taxes above it.

Every EU country has is on tax threshold but after that its for all members the same. There is no country in the EU that allows to import packages with that kind of amount! You simply have too pay a customs fee and VAT (mostly around the 20%).

My package was hold for a week at the Dutch customs too. They send a letter and wanted to now how match I payed for my Nexus One. The letter stated that I also could send an Internet bill. I made a print screen from the Unity web page including the Nexus One commercial and wrote that this package is a free gift/development sample with the same amount that Unity filled in on the freight letter ($50.00 in my case). They where happy and billed me 22 euro and I was as intended pleased with my almost free Nexus One. :wink:

Send them A print-screen of the Unity Nexus One website commercial and tell them that this package is a development sample/gift with a value that Unity also filled in on the freight letter. Worked great for me. :D

Peter.

11. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

12. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Interesting link, thanks for sharing it.

Technical your 100% right but if Unity wrote on your freight ticket also $50.00 and you have to pay something like 22 euros than it's still a good deal without to match trouble. At least it was for me. :wink: Paper-fight with the customs is time consuming and can cost lots of energy!

It would be for everyone's best interest to send packages meant for European customers from an European Unity head Office. If a package travels from an European address to an other European address than it will travel tax free no matter how expansive.

Peter.

13. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

All yellow countries on the map are following that rule.

http://europa.eu/abc/european_countries/others/index_en.htm

14. caitlyn

caitlyn

If you encounter any serious customs trouble and find yourself really stuck, we may be able to help. Just email us at sales@unity3d.com and explain the situation to us in detail, and we'll do our best on our side to sort things out for you.

Dan, if you haven't sorted it out yet, contact us too, please.

15. milkytreat

milkytreat

i know this has nothing to do with the conversation, but im loving my N1! its awesome, and deploying from unity 3 to it is ridiculously easy, makes iphone deploys look like rocket science

16. Kawe

Kawe

Woah,

Today I got a letter from the customs as well saying I have to pay 100 dollars to get my package :/

And I guess it's the nexus phone showing up. Heh.. now I have to go and beat up the postal service over in Sweden.

17. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Don't get your hopes up, you'll probably have to pay, that's the situation I'm in right now after 2 days of phoning around the country. It's better if you just contact sales@unity3d.com before you pay anything.

18. jashan

jashan

Actually, the guy at the post office told me that rejecting the package would give me more trouble (and more costs) than paying the EUR 233,29 "Einfuhrumsatzsteuer (EUSt)" that I just paid. Those EUR 233,29 are because of the "generic software invoice" that came from salesforce.com and that was included in the package.

I now have about a month (well, a little less) to fight my EUR 233,29 back (because obviously that's an error of the customs - I'm paying reverse VAT for the EUR 1.200,00).

Customs suck. Big time.

19. jashan

jashan

Actually not because of the "generic software invoice" part of it. They looked into the box and charged for the mobile phone. So, I don't think mobile phones really are tax free.

20. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

There are not tax free, you have to pay the sales tax, but no additional import tax.
    I imported a Nexus One myself in January and paid 380€ + 60 Pound sales tax.
    But since the phone is free, there shouldn't be a sales tax.

I provided a link earlier that clearly states mobile phones do not need an additional import tax, if I remember it right, it's because you already paid a worldwide radio license with the FCC.

If you google it, you'll find hundreds of articles, here's one for example that references the N1.

21. zumwalt

zumwalt

And here I was thinking about moving to Amsterdam just for the red light district, I don't want to have to pay the import tax their! Bummer! Thank God I live in America...

22. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

You where just lucky that they didn't send it from a Europe Office like Copenhagen. :( I'm sure that America can use with the current economic circumstance every bit of import tax too.

Peter. :wink:

23. beeky

beeky

Thanks for putting the whole price on the package Unity.

I had to pay 441.77 € (570$) to the customs today. I could almost just buy the device for 490€ in the store.

Belgium dev

24. siliwangi

siliwangi

Undervalue declaration might not good for a company like unity but yes unity should declare it as gift/present not a purchase....

25. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Gift/present will give lots of problems too. Send it as a Mobile Device Development Sample with a zero value. Include a print screen like this:

Peter.

26. caitlyn

caitlyn

Beeky, can you contact sales@unity3d.com with the tax receipt you paid? We'll sort you out.

Also, FYI, we are writing "FREE NEXUS ONE PHONE" in big letters on the invoices as phones ship, so hopefully the problem will lessen. Ultimately, though, it's up to your country's customs departments.

27. Hilm

Hilm

How long has the turn around been for you guys between ordering, and receiving the phone?

Would like to get my stuff deployed on Android asap...

Cheers,
    Adam

28. Alphageek_legacy

Alphageek_legacy

For me it was 10 days from ordering to receiving the phone. I'm in Sydney.

29. selmo

selmo

A quick public service announcement -- Anyone considering this offer should know that there are no more phones available, despite the linked page still be up and promising a phone with your pre-order. I ordered a few weeks ago, and even today the website is still making a promise sales can't deliver on. Probably an honest mistake, but some people, myself included, may be mislead by it. Is there any legitimate reason for that page, and any other still making that empty promise, to be up? Buyer beware.

No phone for me. :sad:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  30. zumwalt

zumwalt

The page does say "might" not "will" I would contact sales first about it though before buying to see if there are any phones left.

31. RHD

RHD

Is the offer still on for a free phone then?
    Cheers