Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Unity Android Pro and you might get a Nexus One!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

If you sent your email to our sales team using the same email address as you use with your forum account then I can find that case and close it out as answered. If you emailed sales@unity3d.com using a different address then please send me that email address, or your case number if you know it, but do that using a Private Message here on the forums.

As asked above, did you contact support@unity3d.com using the same email address as you use with your forum account? If yes then I'll go find it, if not then PM it to me ASAP.

I believe the plan is to verify shipping addresses but I'm concerned that might not happen. What's more is that now that I'm pondering this I'll be sending an internal email asking whether we're doing that or not. And then as usual, the reply will be "no, we weren't going to but we really should and boy, it'd be great if you could pick that up and go with it..." :p So it'll likely end up on my lap. Oh well, so it goes! :)

2. MusicalFluency

MusicalFluency

If one pre-orders Unity Android Pro -- is it possible to be moved up in line for the pre-purchase BETA download of Unity 3? Wouldn't hurt to have more Android Pro testers, right? :D

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Unity Android customers aren't in line to begin with so there's nothing in which you can "move up". :p

If you think you make for a compelling Unity Android beta tester then contact me (email, PM, etc.) and we'll see what can be done. Please, I ask that everyone think about this carefully before contacting me with requests to be considered: do you truly make for a compelling beta tester? Ask yourself this honestly and write me if your answer is yes, and if you think you are please explain why. Note that simply wanting to do it really really badly doesn't necessarily make you compelling. ;) :p

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

Looks like I am delayed out until the 9'th of the month on getting Android Pro, I'll just keep an eye on the store until then. Thanks

5. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

A few quick questions: Is Unity Android (non-pro) going to be released around the same time as Unity Android Pro? Also, was any rough date other than "Summer 2010" mentioned yet for the release of it? Finally, what version of the Android platform is Unity Android targeting (1.6 and up, or is it 2.1 and up)?

Thanks!

6. isaacwaller

isaacwaller

I pre-ordered Unity Pro + Android Pro, and am excited to start developing with it soon, but I do have one concern.

You state that the free Nexus One is the T-Mobile 3G band version, not the AT&T band version. I live in British Columbia, Canada, and every single carrier here uses the AT&T bands. The sole carrier that has even announced plans to create a network using the T-Mobile bands does not have intentions to come to my area. Even worse, I am locked into a contract with Telus, and their GSM network is missing the EDGE part, and it only has a 3G part. I found this out by purchasing a Nexus One when they first came out and found out that it would only work with Rogers, another GSM carrier that does have an EDGE network. So the phone is useless to me. I was hoping that I could request the other version, but it appears that you already have the phones so that seems unlikely.

Luckily, Google has sent me 5 (!) Nexus Ones for various development activities, and at the Google I/O conference I got two more useless Nexus Ones and two more useless EVO 4Gs, so I am used to selling these phones.

My question: is there any way I can get the AT&T 3G band model instead of the T-Mobile one? I did buy it before you put up the info about the 3G bands on your webpage...

(I emailed sales@unity3d.com too - you can resolve that case if there's nothing you can do about it.)

7. mutatedwombat

mutatedwombat

The Samsung Galaxy S phones are driven by Samsung's proprietary 1-GHz Hummingbird processor, which includes an onboard graphics processor. Is use of this hardware built into the Android device drivers, so Unity for Android will automatically take advantage of it?
    It would seem to have great potential for 3D games.

8. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

pUt this in my blog.

How much do you guys think the xbox dev kit cost?

9. ghutty

ghutty

I would like to be included on the request like "isaacwaller" of any remote possibility of getting the AT&T Friendly Android Nexus One phone that would run on the AT&T 3G Network instead of EDGE.

Just recently purchased Unity Pro + Unity iPhone Pro + Unity Android Pro

Thanks...
    Patrick Guzman

10. Redbeer

Redbeer

Thanks a lot for the response, but that's not quite what I meant/asked. I am/was aware that Unity itself will be full price. What I meant was, maybe you should consider talking to Google and working out some sort of "discount" deal on the PHONE, for those of us who are NOT going to purchase the PRO license. As in, I'm probably going to want an unlocked phone/something with the basic license for testing purposes, but it would be nice to have some sort of "coupon" for the HARDWARE. It would seem this would benefit both Unity and Google to do this.

The other alternative I'd like considered is support for "non phones" that run Android, although I don't know what exists in that realm (Archos media tablets, but they run Android 1.x OS I believe). In all honesty I have no use for an iPhone or an Android phone, fortunately Apple has the cheaper "iTouch" available, right now the options for Android are limited, so my total cost is significantly higher, just to hardware test, given the $399 for Unity, and the most likely $500+ for a new unlocked phone.

I'd love to just "buy Pro" right now, and I conceivably could, but the problem I have is the licensing scheme makes this FAR more expensive "potentially" than I'm willing to take a risk on until my revenues are much higher. The issue is, once you "go Pro", everyone has to. Everyone you work with on present or future teams, has to have Pro, so a ~$4.5K investment (Unity Pro, Android Pro, iPhone Pro) becomes multiplicatively more expensive if I need to/am working with anyone else.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

only if you are part of their company.
    if you work as freelancer / contract dev, then thats not required.

12. Redbeer

Redbeer

Well, I don't intend to contract/freelance "for" anyone else, I am, hopefully soon done with that and/or I can charge far more for my services as an engineer doing the consulting I already do/have done. What I'm mainly concerned with is, if I partner with friend, then I think "technically" that makes them part of "my" company, in which case they would need a Pro license as well if I own one...although I'm not 100% sure on that.

13. zumwalt

zumwalt

For me, that question is simple, I do not work with / contract out to anyone who is not already a pro owner and have the same level of product that I already own. If someone is not willing to financially participate at the same level of commitment that I am, I see no profitable outcome, no interest in from them, no interest out from them. Simple financial semantics really, as an independent developer, I will not involve myself with individuals or companies of individuals who are not willing to be financially responsible for the project. This android enhancement is huge, although questionably how big against the Apple iPhone, and later on, Unity is going to have a lower priced version that is not “pro” level, so if you have tons of the phone already and do not need all that “pro” will offer, just wait until the non-pro version is released since it will not come with a phone to use for development purposes. It is my experience that all of the non-pro versions are just as capable to use for programming and product sales as is with the pro versions, depending on the final outcome. This is amazing what Unity has done with Google and the android platform. Personally I have about 8 days and counting until my finances are in order for the upgrade for my own license, but I know once I get it, it will pay itself back in less than 3 months, so it is not a question of spending the money since the long term will regain what the short term costs, that is just good business decisions.

I praise Unity for all the time and effort they are putting into all of these new technologies and can't wait to get my hands on it.

14. Redbeer

Redbeer

I'm glad you're in a financial position to make that sort of arbitrary decision. I am not.

15. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

When we ship Unity Android we will have both Unity Android ($399) and Unity Android Pro ($1499) add-on licenses available on the same day.

Our last newsletter email went out and mentioned a possible ship date by the end of July, but that was a bit of an error as we're not yet ready to commit to that. So no, there is nothing more solid to offer than "Summer 2010".

Note: just so it's clear, Unity 3.0 and Unity Android are parallel projects, but they are not on the exact same schedule. If at all possible we'd like to ship them at the same time, but it just might be that Unity Android ships some time after Unity 3.0.

Technically we're going for any device that's running Android 2.0 or higher. For those familiar with the Android SDK itself, that's API Level >= 5.

Unfortunately no, we can't do that. Google has provided us with the phones already and they are as described and we don't have any phones on hand to swap out like that. Hopefully you're good enough at selling them now that it's not much of a hassle. :)

I just sent out a reply to your sales@ inquiry so look for that in you Inbox. For everyone's benefit, we're willing to offer refunds to folks that can't use the phone (as in Isaac's case), or that live in areas where we cannot ship the phone.

I honestly don't know the answer to that question and so I've fired off an email to our Android team to find out!

Please stay on topic, this is a thread about Unity Android Pro and the free Google Nexus One phones we're shipping to the first 500 people that buy them. If you really want to know then contact Microsoft and see what they say. :)

And I've also answered your sales@ inquiry so check your inbox for a reply. The answer is the same as above, no we can't do any swapping as all of the phones we received are the same. If that causes you any grief then we're happy to cancel the license and issue you a refund.

Ahhh, gotcha now, sorry for being dense before. :) I'll pass that suggestion along and we'll see if it sticks.

You mean like the Tegra2 powered tablet we were showing at Google I/O? Check it out (YouTube video):

NVIDIA Tegra 2 Prototype Tablet running Unity 3D Game

The demo running on that Tegra tablet is the same one we created for, and used at GDC earlier this year as our iPhone demo. :) Our plan is to support anything that runs Android 2.0 or greater, whether that's a phone, a tablet or otherwise.

But that's not true at all, you can move projects between standard and Pro installations, you just have to be careful about the use of Pro-only features, that's all. Perhaps you're confused about our End User License Agreement (EULA) and specifically part 2.c which states:

(c) A company, incorporated entity, or individual may not use both Unity and Unity Pro.

So if you're working within a company, what you said is true. But if you're working as a group of individuals that are not part of a single company or incorporated entity, then you're free to work with each other even if you have a mixed bag of licenses.

That really depends on what you mean by "partner with a friend". Are you and this friend going to make a company together, or go a step further and incorporate that business in some way? As in go file paperwork for a legal business entity or corporation? If yes then you have to use matching licenses. If no, you're simply going to contract together then you're free to use mixed licenses. :)

16. Redbeer

Redbeer

Thanks a lot, I think it's a good idea, but of course opinions vary, so we'll see. :D

That's cool, and probably more useful to me than a phone, it's just not that helpful from a price/immediacy standpoint. Hopefully someone will consider an Android 2.0+ device that's more like an MP3/Media player in feature/price point in the near future.

Well that's good to hear. One more clarification, if you don't mind. :D
    What if we are two separate incorporated entities (LLC), each with yearly revenues below 100K and I want to use Pro while my "partner" uses Indie?

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

18. midknight

midknight

same here. I need to update my shipping address.

19. midknight

midknight

got mine already! at the proper shipping address too!

thanks!!

20. fivearchers

fivearchers

Is it possible to use the phone without any cell service? (To build to etc)

21. ozoner

ozoner

Got mine today, have a couple of albums on it from my collection, using google with my wifi connection.

Kind of liking what I see very smooth and simple to get around in.

Still have not gotten word on my iPhone 4 other then an e-mail indicating I am getting higher up on the priority list. :D

22. goodhustle

goodhustle

Got mine! Thanks Unity, this is definitely one of the cooler promotions I've taken advantage of. :) I snooped around the Android Market a bit, and looking at it firsthand, it looks pretty convenient to buy apps. Despite the piracy figures thrown about, I can believe that convenience is more important than price, and there will be people willing to find and buy software from the market as long as it's easy to use. Can't wait!

23. n0mad

n0mad

Ok, got mine too :)
    Thank you for your dedicated support in this shipment.
    (hope Kimberly is doing well)

24. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

:p

I put this in meh blog.

25. jashan

jashan

Any folks from Europe already got theirs? Me wanz dis now, plz ;-)

26. n0mad

n0mad

Yep, just got mine 2 hours ago :)
    (Paris)

And oh my fu**ing Buddha ... Android is so far ahead of iOS4, how could I have been unaware of this for so long ? :D

27. jashan

jashan

Oh ... good news ... so it shouldn't take too long, me hopez ;-)

28. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Dear Unity

Please provide us with a tracking number if the phone starts traveling to his new owner. :eek:

Peter.

29. jonaphin

jonaphin

I received mine last week. Luck has it that it was dead at birth. HTC is shipping me a new one. I should receive it tomorrow.

30. zumwalt

zumwalt

I finally got a chance to purchase the license this weekend! Now to just patiently await the phone :)

31. Discord

Discord

I'm surprised they haven't already sold 500 copies by now. :eek:

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

less surprising if you check out http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294 and realize that the countries to which you can sell apps is already small and that the countries where you must live to be allowed to sell apps is even smaller I fear ...

I'm willing to bet that the android non-pro license will be much more popular until Google gets the non-free android market to a larger part of the world and expands the payed developer country list significantly

33. zumwalt

zumwalt

In reality, most people who visit the forums (most, not all) are indies, there are a few non-indie here but they mostly just read the forums. People are skeptical right now as to where the android market is going to go, what it will cover, etc. So since Unity will have a non-pro andriod version, and if you already have an android phone, there is no need to get pro unless you really want the pro features. I really see this as a win/win situation for anyone right now. If people had to pay for the phone, that is $529 + tax and it would be a locked version, but through this deal you get a fully unlocked version to develope with so I personally consider this a purchase of pro for android at $971, otherwise, when the 500 are sold, you can only get the pro license without the phone, so at that point you are paying $1500 for android pro + $529 for the phone if you want "that" phone which isn't even out in retail stores but only available online. So then you are paying $2029, so it is bonus right now.

34. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Hi everyone, I just bought my first Unity license, Unity Pro and Android.

I don't want to downtalk this sweet deal, but your math doesn't work, first off, all Nexus One phones are unlocked, it doesn't matter where you buy it from.
    If you include the tax on the phone, you should include the 25% VAT for Unity too. Since I cannot just buy a Android only version, I had to shell out 2600€ as a new developer that comes to Unity specifically for Android.

I bought my Nexus one in January for 529$ (around 480€ after import costs etc.) and I doubt I can sell it for more then 400€ at the moment, because it is available for 480€ in store in every Vodafone shop in Germany.

35. milkytreat

milkytreat

Hold one to each ear and have conversations in stereo!

36. zumwalt

zumwalt

I am US based and paid for just the Android Pro since I already own Unity pro, so that is the $1500 USD, buddy of mine purchased the Andriod Nexus through the Google store and had to have it unlocked / activated before he could use it at all and was required to have a service plan or it would simply not work. He is in Florida, so maybe the international version of it is fully unlocked but his wasn't.

37. TMK

TMK

Has any more people in EU received their Google Nexux One yet? I have yet to receive mine, and I purchased it the day it was announced.

38. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I got mine Nexus One 30 minutes ago. I'm not sure but think that I purchased my license also a few hours after it was standing on the Unity page.

Peter.

39. TMK

TMK

Ah cool, I was getting worried, seeing as some in EU got it 10 days ago :)

40. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

You can contact sales and ask when the have send it away. My Nexus One got hold for one week at the customs.

The phone is not locked. I'm using it with KPN (dutch telecom provider).

Peter.

41. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey guys,

If you've purchased Unity Android Pro with the Nexus One offer and still have not yet received your phone, please hang in there-- we haven't forgotten you! Quite sadly, the person who is handling the shipments suffered a tragic family emergency about two weeks ago and was out of commission for the duration. Hence the delay. We aim to have your phones out within a couple of weeks but we ask for your patience and understanding while we catch up.

Cheers

Caitlyn

42. TMK

TMK

Oh, I am sorry to hear about that...

Thanks for the update, Caitlyn :)

43. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

Caitlyn,

I'm also sorry to here about that. :roll:

Peter.

44. jashan

jashan

Hi Caitlyn, thank you for the update - and I'm very sorry to hear about that. Whenever the phone arrives, it arrives - I'm not in a hurry on that and certainly have both patience and understanding.

45. polytropoi

polytropoi

Thanks for the update... The android option appears to be enabled in the beta; does it actually work? Can we build to the Nexus One when it comes, or will it be necessary to wait for the official Unity3 Android release?

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

if you preordered android and have a license for it you can build for it.

if you didn't, you should not even be able to select it if you only have a unity 3 pro or unity 3 iPhone pre release license. I know that it is not enabled in my unity 3 pro + unity iphone 3 pro + asset client 3 license

47. polytropoi

polytropoi

I did preorder it; now I just need a device...

48. GameLvr

GameLvr

Wahoo! finally got mine...now if I could just get the back off to put the battery in...

49. midknight

midknight

btw, is Unity Android going to be released when 3.0 is released?

50. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If it happens to be done at the same time.

--Eric