Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Unity Android Pro and you might get a Nexus One!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We're excited to announce that Unity Android Pro licenses are now on sale, w00t! We're not yet shipping our Android support so this is a pre-purchase opportunity, but with that comes an additional offer in that the first 500 people to buy their Unity Android Pro licenses will receive a free Google Nexus One, w00t (again)!

For more information about this offer you can read my blog post:

Pre-Order Unity Android, Get a Google Nexus One!

Or you can read our full press release that we put out today:

Unity Technologies Opens Pre-Order of Unity Pro for Android With Sweet Deal

Or you can cut straight to the important bits by going to our website for the terms and conditions as well as our online store:

Unity Pro for Android
    Unity Store

It’s Unity for the win!

Edit #1: please keep in mind that Unity and Unity iPhone are both being offered at discount pricing in our online store, on the other hand Unity Android is not due to it being a new platform. Once we ship v3.0 the Unity iPhone prices go back to normal and you'll see that iPhone and Android support is offered at the same price.

Edit #2: for clarity let me note that we will offer both a Unity Android and a Unity Android Pro license once we're ready to ship. It's just that as of today we're only pre-selling Unity Android Pro licenses with the Google Nexus One offer.

Edit #3: how will you know if we've hit that 500 mark? When we do we will update the store page so it will no longer mention that you get a Google Nexus One. See that text? Order and you get the phone. Don't see that text? Then we're out of 'em. :)

Edit #4: the first 500 developers that buy Unity Android Pro will receive an unlocked Google Nexus One with Android 2.1 or later installed. The phones will not come with any service plan, those that receive a phone will need to secure a service plan on their own (the phones will be compatible with any GSM carrier worldwide). Please keep in mind that these devices are 3G compatible with all GSM carriers outside of the USA, but within the USA they are 3G compatible only on the T-Mobile network, users on the AT&T network will have EDGE service instead.

2. n0mad

n0mad

You evil :twisted:

Ok you won, I just preordered the goddamn whole package (Pro+iPhone+Android) 8)

Awesome offer, though !

3. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

omfg

this makes me want to get a job at mcdonalds and flip burgers just to get it.

Too bad I'm still a kid.

4. mehware

mehware

Congrats..

@n0mad, can I be your friend? :D

5. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

:D

I would like to be your friend too!

6. n0mad

n0mad

Haha, too much evil in this thread :twisted:

Forums nerds like me do have an advantage, for sure !

edit : needless to say that my purse is empty for 3 monthes now :roll:

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats a really great offer :)
    Especially given the nexus one was never released here and I dislike the Xperia X10, the only official "nexus one class android" in switzerland. Guess there are many more countries like this.

Too bad that the required ipad (the problems with unity iphone no longer running on the simulator of iOS4 at least on my sys and the raised interest in ipad compatibility and optimization just made it a top priority investment) ate my remaining CC budget :(
    Hope that the 500ths nexus one won't be away before I was able to grab the required funding again :twisted:

8. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I pre-ordered too. I'm really curious about the cross platform build functionality with Unity 3. Let that phone come... :D

Peter.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Google Nexus One page lists two models - one compatible with T-Mobile and one compatible with AT&T. Which one is part of the offer?

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't know but I'll seek that information and get back to you! (here in this thread)

11. ugur

ugur

hm, dunno, dunno guys if this is such a good idea.
    I mean the pricing here for the Android support and that you intend to have the same pricing for the Android licenses as for the iPhone ones.
    I mean i totally understand that supporting another platform costs quite some additional ongoing efforts so i also totally understand it has to be paid for additionally but i also feel like the Android market for sold games is tiny at best right now compared to the iPhone apps market, so i´m sure such a price point makes many think twice about whether they can recollect that money spent soon on the android app store.
    If you´d make it 1000 or below for the pro version with the Nexus added it would be a steal, at 1500, hm...

Let´s see if the the enthusiast in me can resist lengthy, but yeah, the "think reasonable and spend money wisely" side in me moans louder than i´d like :(

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

reasonably, as long as there are nexus, the pro license is $800 which is a steal (thats basing on our prices here for nexus one) ...

I'm realistic though: Games with the intend to sell at a price will never get you back that money.
    Ad supported games are the way to go there at least for an undefined amount of time (undefined because it depends on how long Google takes to make the platform acceptable security wise. Copy pasteable applications do not get you sales, thats saying someone with NDS Slot 2 and Slot 1 cards ...) if you ask me and I think that you can recollect those $800 within a reasonable amount of time.

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There would be big (and legit) complaints about pricing unfairness if they did it any other way. It's quite possible to earn nothing with iPhone apps, and on the flip side, it's also possible that the Android marketplace will improve.

--Eric

14. ugur

ugur

yeah, the problem is not unity being overpriced for its feature set and functionality, i totally love it and am pretty convinced the android support will turn out great, too.

The problem is as you said the sold games market has serious issues and limitations on Android devices right now, way more than already on other platforms.

15. ugur

ugur

who would moan about unfairness? i bought the pro version of unity desktop and unity iphone pro and wouldn´t moan at all if i could ship games on another platform by buying another, cheaper, additional license =)
    Then again i haven´t moaned at all when unity indy turned free and i know many did, so i know if a bunch of people comes together there will be many different views there =)

And sure its possible to earn nothing with iPhone apps (done by many) and earn a lot with iPhone or Android stuff or stuff for any platform, i just stated where i see bigger chances and risks right now.
    I´m sure the Android market will improve on various ends over time.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

there would be complaints because android pro offers all iphone pro features without having its costs.
    I agree with eric there, there would be moaning and complaints.

We already hade a whine-scapade when Unity indie became free, although they do not need to pay for unity free 3.0 upgrades anymore and alike. and that although they got a "get $350 on pro / $400 on iphone upgrade reduction for a limited amount of time" special offer and 60 day before release refund. (UT likely learned from it, thus they started preselling unity 3 5+ months before its release so no grace period)

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

When considering what to charge for Unity Android we took a few variables into account, including the cost of development/maintenance of the new platform as well as the value of the platform to the developer. Sure, when you look at Android today it's not as profitable as the iPhone, but looking forward we think that it will prove just as valuable if not more so given that Google is pushing Android for use on many different types of devices, not just a few select ones. Thus we feel it's entirely fair and appropriate to charge equal amounts. Folks might disagree and that's ok (what decision ever gets 100% unanimous agreement? :) ), but we put our time and thought into this and are confident in our decision.

18. TheLorax

TheLorax

"Edit #3: how will you know if we've hit that 500 mark? When we do we will update the store page so it will no longer mention that you get a Google Nexus One. See that text? Order and you get the phone. Don't see that text? Then we're out of 'em."

Well, I just went to the order page, saw the free phone text was still there, took a big shot o' whiskey and hit order! :) I guess it's gonna be a lot of Ramen Noodles for a while...a long while! Maybe that Nexus One tastes good too!

Actually, this solved the problem of getting the Android dev environment and then having to get a device on top of that, cool marketing move...even though I'll probably get a Notion Ink Adam or ICD Gemini tablet when they come out, if they come out!

Thanks Unity guys! It really is an exciting time right now!

The Lorax

19. jashan

jashan

Ok everyone - stop buying these Android + Nexus One license now. I have to wait until my CC has cooled down from the iPad purchase. :twisted:

Ok, cool, so I'll see if everyone was waiting once my CC is ready to shoot again ;-)

Btw, a little heads up:

At first, I thought OMG; Germany's not in there (try ordering a Nexus One from Google from Germany and you'll see what traumatized me). KK, there *are* advantages of being in the EU ;-)

20. n0mad

n0mad

21. scarpelius

scarpelius

Bah, not much of an incentive for me. Nexus One is not available in my country.

22. Kawe

Kawe

Taken! This is great... I was worried that we'd need to purchase some Android phones but hey.. Unity to the rescue.

Now if the price wasnt so high. Left a big hole in my pocket.

23. Redbeer

Redbeer

May I suggest some sort of "discount" offer on the Nexus One, for development purposes, be opened up to both Unity Android, and Unity Android Pro purchasers, once the 500 freebies are gone?

That would be nice for those of us that aren't in the position to take the risk on Pro at the moment, and those that are, but don't get in under the 500 count.

Seems it would be to both Unity and Googles advantage to offer some sort of discount/coupon that couples with a Unity license.

24. gunfish

gunfish

Tom,

When do the pre-order Nexus Ones get shipped?
    Do they get shipped in the next week or two?

Or do we wait until the Unity Android release is made officially available.

25. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

@gunfish:
    We've got a huge pile in our office blocking the way, we're sending them out ASAP. However, since we haven't done anything like this before our execution might be a bit rocky.

26. jashan

jashan

Oh, cool - so we're actually doing you guys a favor when ordering. Let's see what my CC says today ;-)

27. taumel

taumel

Don't get me wrong, i don't wanna sound negative all the times but this sounds like a typical early adopter offer to me, but not in such a convincing way.

I would pretty much prefer if the Android offer wouldn't be 36% more expensive than the iPhonePro version as personally the Nexus is of no real usage to me. I don't need another phone and would like to use Android at some point on a tablet instead, so…

What i quite don't understand from the argumentation is, you're (Tom) writing that Android isn't such a competitive market today but it will be in the future. I and most probably a lot of others agree on this but why do i have to pay now a price for something that might turn out not until the future?

This looks like you're moving the financial risk to the users.

Today Android as a market isn't ready yet and for this, additional with the preorder idea, the price is too high. It might be interesting once its known in what kind of shape the Android version will show up on all these devices and if you have a concrete project you want to use it on but just for sayin i'm interested and curious in this platform, this is too expensive, imho.

28. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

@Taumel

When we launch 3.0 for full, the iPhone Advanced will no longer have the rebate we gave it way back. Then they'll both cost $1500.

When we launched iPhone, there wasn't a market for it either - however, having the cost of a product go up with the size of the addressable market doesn't seem fair (after all, it's the same product we're selling). Compared to the iPhone, technically the Android version is harder for us to pull off (we were one of the first pre-adobters of native code on Android, there's way more HW for us to test make sure it works on) - so I don't think we're "moving the financial risk" to our users - if it was based on difficulty it should cost more :)

Thankfully, there's a nice option for you: don't buy it :) If you don't think the deal makes sense from an cost/benefit perspective, then you can just wait. Maybe it will one day, maybe it won't.

Looking a user adoption rates, last I checked the Android was essentially a couple of years behind iPhone, but has the same trending. Time will tell if it will overtake iPhone and if there's a good games market for it. I think there will be. I also think there's a significant advantage to be among the first batch of games that are essentially crappy J2ME ports.

29. GerbilStuntFarm

GerbilStuntFarm

Wee bit expensive for me right now as I'm still holding out on Iphone + Unity info from you guys, but congratulations on getting to the point of pre-order, and that's a nice deal.

30. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I will bet on an other few Unity Android licenses that this free Nexus One deal is just the first start of a good investment. 8)

Peter.

31. taumel

taumel

@Nicholas
    I know but the iPhonePro option is more flexible as it doesn't tie you to a device which might be just useless to you.

A comparison of the iPhone/Android market and its future is a discussion on its own - believe me, i went through enough meetings about this already - and i'm pretty much aware of the tendencies. I also understand that the Android version is more work on your side but on the other side a) believe in the multiplication factor, b) in comparison to the iOS market - btw will you implement support for iAd there? - it's rather meh these days and will be for some more time, c) it depends on what you want to pull off and the competition (typical HTML 5 for the rescue mantra, Shiva for $200 without paying for each platform, …) and d) maturing time. You know iPhonePro is at version 1.7 and still you can't use a simple system keyboard without obvious rotation bugs afterwards for landscape/portrait.

If you take all this into account, i just see things through other glasses than you.

Not everyone is solely after games and as you named it, the joy you get out of a game isn't only defined by how complex/advanced the technology is and never was. I understand that as a 3d technology provider it's likely you see it more in such a way but it's only true for a certain percentage.

32. jashan

jashan

The Google Nexus One is a freebie, so it doesn't tie you to anything. The way I see it, Google is giving those phones away pretty generously (well, obviously with some intentions behind it but I don't really mind that). So, I don't really think UT is paying for those Nexus Ones and if they do, I doubt they pay much - so I also doubt that we pay much, if anything, for those Nexus Ones with our license fee.

To me, it seems like everyone (= every developer) has a Nexus One these days, and hardly anyone has payed for it.

Most people seem to get it from conferences where Google was, and that also feels like a rather smart move (certainly smarter than scaring us developers with crazy ToS-changes; and I say that still liking Apple much more than Google) ;-)

So, to me, since I haven't been to any of those conferences - it looks like my chance to participate in the giving away of Nexus Ones. Since I don't have a device for testing Android, and since I don't want to buy one from Vodafone or ebay, I really I hope my CC cools off early enough so I can still get one.

In any case, I think it's a nice package that makes sense. And thanks Nicholas, for reminding us that the current iPhone Advanced price is still discounted (I kind of had that in the back of my mind but nevertheless the price difference between iPhone / Android looked odd to me until I got confirmation through your posting).

33. taumel

taumel

@jashan
    So what your more or less saying is that contrary to all the other Unity products there is no preorder discount for the Android platform, although the product isn't available yet, right?

I'm sorry but this sounds weird to me because all the other software i own offers you a discount when you're buying it before it is beeing released and/or when it's introduced for a certain amount of time. It's also weird if you take into account that all the other products Unity offers are having a discount.

As for the Nexus, all the people i know use other phones and as i wrote already some are more interested in tablets.

34. jashan

jashan

That's at least the way I understand it. However, if you're one of the first 500 you get that Nexus One in addition. So if you want one, now is a good time to order (and be careful if the order page still shows it ;-) ). If you just care about Unity Android but not about the Nexus One, there's no good reason to buy Unity Android Pro now.

Oh, wait - I guess if you have the Unity 3 beta you can be probably enable Android with the serial you get from that purchase. So you could use it immediately, which would be quit nice ;-) if you're lucky, you might be the first one to publish a cool Unity Android game.

35. taumel

taumel

See, that's where my someone is trying to maximise their profits alarm bells ring. ;O)

Although it's questionable if it's the most profitable way. Anyway, i'm out...

36. GerbilStuntFarm

GerbilStuntFarm

Look it's been on the cards that the Android license was to be similar or the same as the Iphone (not discounted) license. Support confirmed this months ago. To be giving away something on top of that, and in the UK, worth 3 or 4 hundred quid, is quite a nice gesture. It also suggests strong backing from Google which bodes well for Unity and Android.

Don't want the phone? drop it on Ebay.

37. ugur

ugur

Yes, i´m sure you´ve thought about this long, so i´ll just put my thoughts down as reply to you, i felt it wouldn´t be nice to just not reply, just because we have different views. Its not meant as arguing:
    -I agree that the android market has some good potential but i also think regarding selling games it has several limitations right now (to the degree where its hard to sell apps in large numbers at all, way more so than already on iphone)
    -The android deploy support surely is in early steps and like with any dev tool in early days it can be expected that not everything will run ideally and not all that´s desirable will be supported in first release
    These two are the main points that make the thing a tough sell to me at this point at this price point and make me feel like unity android would be a much more desirable thing as time passes by, the android platform and store system matures, just like the unity support for it.

So then we´re left with something that is at this point a less attractive platform and a less matured dev solution than the iPhone stuff.
    The iPhone stuff right now has a good amount of discount, the android stuff not, there´s a mismatch in my eyes.
    Yes, one gets a phone if one hurries, but dunno if that makes up for paying more for a less evolved dev tool and less mature target platform.

Again, i don´t post this to start an argument, do it as you please, but yeah, i think you´d sell a lot more of these in the near feature if you sold the android pro license for 1000 or below and added the nexus on top of that, i know i´d buy it instantly then :)
    Also i think it would be perfectly reasonable to have an early adopter price discount on this and more people would be eager to pay more for it as they hear of first success stories later or as i said the platform and dev tools mature over time so there´s more perceived value.
    Well, just my two cents on it, don´t hate me for them =)

38. n0mad

n0mad

Er, guys ...
    - Since when does a middleware have to adjust its cost based on its target platform popularity ?
    So if I follow that logic, the PC/Mac version of Unity should be awfully expensive ? :roll:
    - The idea of providing a free testing device to developers is absolutely awesome and genius, especially when the deployment platform is not yet popular. Like "I understand you don't believe in us yet, so here is a free deployment testing tool."
    Except it's not just a testing tool, but an advanced multimedia device you can make a personal use of.

important point : I understand this is just a "discussion", not a "I'm angry because of this rebate", but we all know that every starting controversy about a selling method will end in a direct self questioning from the product provider.
    It's just like that in any profession. You innocently tell them they could do it better, but they will take it like they're just doin it wrong, because of the "customer is king" law.

The Nexus One is kind of a genesis to all the other Android devices you will want your game to work on. Like the iPhone 3G in some way. If it doesn't work well on N1, it won't work very well on other device instances. Plus it's the first device to receive new Android iterations. It's just the perfect testing device.

And, I mean, it's a gift. Rebate coupons are common nowadays, but it doesn't mean it's a due ...

Finally, overall : the Android market is not yet profitable because developers find it not profitable enough to fill it with good games and then make it profitable. See the irony ?

Every megalopolis was a small farmer town at first.

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity iPhone Advanced started out at $1500 with version 1.0, and there wasn't any discount for that either when it launched. Probably Unity Android benefited from a couple years' experience with mobile development, too, so it's likely to be more mature than Unity iPhone was at the beginning. (It rocks now, but Unity iPhone was kind of wobbly at first.)

--Eric

40. taumel

taumel

@GotCakes
    I think the when doesn't change a thing about the how but as Nicholas wrote, i don't have to buy it and i'm fine with this option for now. Selling something you don't need only costs time and i don't want to start a career as a reseller, i don't even have an ebay account when thinking about it. :O)

More, as i most likely would have to buy two licences in order to work properly, like the very unpleasant and unflexible handling of Unity for my iPhonePro situation has shown. No, i've learnt my lesson there.

41. ugur

ugur

I wouldn´t call it based on platform popularity, more based on perceived platform profitability to the developer.
    And sure the platform specific middleware (license) has to have a lower cost when a platform does not give a lot of perceived profitability or it doesn´t stay widely adopted. Or do you see any middleware for making atari vcs games selling to masses for thousands today?
    I don´t think it goes both ways, i mean i don´t think a middleware developer can just raise the price endlessly without improving the toolkit just because the platform got more popular, but yeah, i think unity always improves their stuff over time so i see that as non issue.

Yes, don´t get me wrong, i think its a great idea to hand out nexus ones.
    The only problem i see with that side itself is that some already have one, or don´t want one because they´d rather use or target other android devices and semi related: one generally probably needing way more android test devices now and in the future, more on that in a bit.
    Besides that, again, my problem is not with getting a nexus one for free but the pricing of the additional license itself.
    You can see it different but i see the theoretical profitability of the android platform for sold app creators close to zero at this point so for me personally i´ve already made some iphone games and if the additional license wouldn´t cost too much i´d maybe make android versions of those and hey, if they make a buck back nice, if not, no loss.
    But with 1500 spent i can´t easily say no loss if games don´t sell there.

Yeah, that´s why i said something at all, because a big reason why i use unity is that i have good trust in UT listening to its customers and actually reacting to the feedback when they feel like its reasonable.
    Maybe next time i´ll rather contact them directly because i didn´t mean to start a discussion here (though i feel like it would have maybe gone similar without my post anyway since such things always get discussed).

Yes, the Nexus one is a good testing device but one of the biggest theoretical strengths of the android platform is also one of its biggest weaknesses on other ends: Big and ever groving high variety of device types with partially huge differences in form factor and functionality, even way more so than on the iDevice platform. That means that as serious developer one probably will have to buy way more android devices to be able to propperly test and develop for the platform, making development for the platform way more expensive.

No insult intended but the irony i see is that i think you have a wrong theoretical reasoning there.
    It doesn´t make sense that a platform´s only drawback to developers is that few people develop for it.
    If it had no drawbacks limiting profitability then all who do develop for it should be very rich very quickly and people would hear of that quickly.
    See how it went with the iDevice app store before it got flooded.

I see the big problems of selling Android apps on different fronts, for example:
    -prices of apps appearing in different currencies in the same store.
    -Way worse store system than iTunes/ iDevice App Store, major issues like
    -not being able to look at most apps online other than when searching for the exact name, since only a tiny portion is on the store online page at all.
    -No featured or similar highlighting system on the store outlets, not many seperate lists etc which at least each would add a tiny bit of change to get more visibility
    -Very generous return policy for apps that allows to turn buying stuff into a kind of not time limited demo or rental type deal
    -Very easy to copy apps without even needing something like a jailbreak

Etc, i could go on, but i guess you see where i´m coming from, i see major limitations there that make it really hardly possible to sell huge numbers of anything really without big changes happening there on google store/ android device and OS creators sides.

Since, well, that is out of my reach to affect that in any way, i have to rethink over and over whether its just my gadget and tech and specifically unity enthusiast side wanting to try the android support or whether there could be any kind of validated hope for any financial return of which i´d like to be sure to drop another 1500.

42. n0mad

n0mad

Points granted, Ugur ;)

For the Android, I'll give it a try. Google wants it to succeed, so if we have enough devs to make a proper feedback (like the points you explained), I guess they will adress them sooner or later ^^

43. ugur

ugur

44. zumwalt

zumwalt

I pray that all 500 are not taken by next weekend, thats my gig and I am sticking to it... next weekend, please let this still be there...

45. Slem

Slem

Maybe we can get a ballpark count on how many there are left to 500?

46. jashan

jashan

Muaaaaahhhh - I DID IT!!!

So that means

Code (csharp):
    1. ballparkCount -= 1;

Now I have about a month until my credit card will suck EUR 1.200,00 from my already more than empty bank-account. I'm scared :? ... anyone wants to buy a blue Mercedes SLK 320? Given the incredible desaster(s) happening with oil in the Oceans and all the wars fought around this ugly black stuff it's actually not really the kind of car I can justify driving anymore, anyways :oops: ... and who needs cars when they have Androids, anyways? :cool:

So, when and where will my new Google Nexus One materialize? C'mon don't tell me you're using low-tech stuff like UPS to send it to me ... that'll take ages (like, a couple of days at least ;-) ). Gief, NOW, plzzz, kkthx!?!?

Btw, during the order process, I noticed a few minor issues that I've filed as "documentation bug" (as there is no such category as "store bugs"):
    (Case 362290) Minor glitches in the store: Business / Non-Business, iPhone
    ... nothing severe ... and there's one thing I should add:
    After successfull purchase, I get a download link to Unity iPhone ;-)

And ... question of the day: Will I get a serial that I can use in Unity 3 beta2? 8)

... oh ... wait ... that went quick - got it ;-)

Yeeeha - Platform Android no longer says (this really is one of my favorites): "Your license does not cover Android Publishing, but fear not! There is a way out of your misery. (Contact sales)"

So, Unity just saved me ... yeeehaa (I don't need Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii for now, which is probably what *really* saves me these days ;-) ).

EDIT: Ah, this was worthy of also being talked about in my blog ;-)

47. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hey all, I'm back to answer what I see as the outstanding questions, let me know if I've missed anything by reposting your questions again. Thanks!

We're not panning on any pre-purchase discounts for Unity Android as it's a new platform whereas the others (Unity and Unity iPhone) are updates to existing platforms. So that's the plan for now and you should likely consider that we'll stay on course there.

I know that Nicholas addressed this already but I have some extra details to share. As of today the plan is to start shipping these out on Wednesday, June 30th. I'm working with our office admin to get all the names and addresses in order to make that happen and we're planning on using something like 2nd day air shipments (might take a few days longer to ship them outside of North America). We'll be shipping these in chunks going forward, each time clearing the queue of folks waiting for devices, but the exact timing of those shipments is to be decided. I assume we'll send out a batch at least once a week if not more frequently.

As to Unity iPhone, we cannot force Apple's hand on that, we can only wait on more information from them and that's what we're doing (with pinging going on for info). I do believe that David Helgason is planning a blog post update soon but I'll have to double-check on that to be sure.

That's what we are saying, yes it's an all new platform and we're not offering a discount due to that fact. Ok, it sounds weird to you and that's ok, no matter what we do it won't "fit" for some segment of users (if we gave out a gold brick with every license I bet someone out there would complain that it wasn't a gold pony... :p ).

And if any of the tablet manufacturers were at the ready to work with us to provide devices to our developers then we'd be open to that. But that didn't happen, Google was willing to work with us and so we're offering what we have and that's 500 Google Nexus Ones.

As long as the online store still says "Includes free Google Nexus One." under that line item you're in time!

I can't divulge any hard numbers as that's essentially releasing sales data publicly which we're not supposed to do. What I can say is that sales are brisk but we're not on the verge of running out just yet. With that in mind, sales seem to come in waves, there's that first round of buyers in those first few days, then another larger wave comes a week or two after once the information settles in a bit. So it seems that we're good enough to last through this week and weekend, but there are no guarantees.

48. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Just as a heads up, I've updated my first post in this thread to include information about the Nexus One phones that folks will receive. For ease of reading I'll paste that same information here:

The first 500 developers that buy Unity Android Pro will receive an unlocked Google Nexus One with Android 2.1 or later installed. The phones will not come with any service plan, those that receive a phone will need to secure a service plan on their own (the phones will be compatible with any GSM carrier worldwide). Please keep in mind that these devices are 3G compatible with all GSM carriers outside of the USA, but within the USA they are 3G compatible only on the T-Mobile network, users on the AT&T network will have EDGE service instead.

49. ghutty

ghutty

50. phornberger

phornberger

Will you guys be confirming shipping addresses, or using ones taken from the store accounts.

If so, I would need to change my address, however I haven't actually found an online way to do so.

I have contacted support, but no reply yet...