Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Assets as a team - shared asset page?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ReneBaumgartner, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ReneBaumgartner

ReneBaumgartner

Hi all,

what's the most convenient way to buy assets as a Team? E.g.
    1. Finance guy buys asset, downloads unity package or ZIP and puts it in the company cloud (without having to install Unity or check out project)
    2. Finance guy buys assets, and everyone from the organization/team has access to it on the asset store (like a "shared assets page - without the finance guy having to install Unity or check out project)
    3. Better solution?
    AFAIK there is no way do download a asset directly...

Also, if the finance guy buys an asset, it says "You could be paying (less) with Unity Plus/Pro". Does the finance guy have to be assigned a seat for that??

Thanks for your help,
    Best,
    Rene

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,

Assets have different licenses. The two main licenses are per studio and per seat. Editor Extensions are usually per seat. The rest are usually per studio.

If it's a per seat license, then your finance guy must buy a seat for every team member who will open the project in Unity. For example, if 3 artists, 2 programmers, and 1 producer will open the project, you need 6 seat licenses, even if it's a code asset that the artists and producer won't use directly.

If it's a per studio license, then the finance guy can buy one license for every physical location at which the project will be opened. For example, if you have an office in San Francisco and an office in London, you need 2 licenses. I'm pretty sure telework (e.g., work-at-home) locations don't count, just like one Unity license covers your office computer and your laptop that you take home to telework with.

Unfortunately the product is tied to the finance guy's account, so he will need to download the package inside the Unity editor's Asset Store window. Technically at this point he doesn't necessarily need to import it into a project. He can grab the unitypackage from the download cache. On Windows, it's in [Users]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x.

To get the Plus/Pro discount, the asset needs to be purchased through an account that has a Plus/Pro subscription. Since every team member is required to be on the same subscription level (e.g., you can't have one employee on Pro and another on Personal), this shouldn't matter since your finance guy will be on Plus/Pro if anyone else is.

I believe Unity's Asset Store team is discussing ways to improve this process, but to my knowledge this is how you currently need to do it.

Note: I'm neither a lawyer nor a Unity employee. If you have questions, contact Unity support directly.

ReneBaumgartner likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

i was under the assumption that license was per buyer, which means only the one buying the asset may use it.

Otherwise one person could buy and give to the rest of the world for free, because the definition of studio can be anything.

So essentially all licenses are per seat, tied to the individual that bough the asset.

Or is it some other way ?

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

See section 2.3 of the Asset Store Terms of Service:

2.3.1 EXCEPT FOR EDITOR EXTENSION OR APPLICATION ASSETS, END-USER is granted a license to install and use Assets on an unlimited number of computers provided that these computers are either all (a) physically located at a single physical location ("Site") belonging to END-USER, or (b) laptops belonging to END-USER which have been made available by END-USER to its employees that are employed at the same Site provided all such computers have appropriately licensed Unity software installed. Consequently, any Asset may only be used at particular Site or on computers assigned to END-USER's employees employed at the same Site and may only be moved to another Site subject to prior written approval from Licensor. THIS SECTION 2.3.1 DOES NOT APPLY TO ASSETS THAT IN THE UNITY ASSET STORE ARE CATEGORIZED UNDER THE HEADING "EDITOR EXTENSIONS" OR “APPLICATIONS”.

2.3.2 Editor Extensions; Applications: END-USER is granted a single seat license to install and use any Asset categorized in the Asset Store as "Editor Extensions" or “Application” only on a maximum of 2 computers. For the avoidance of doubt, Editor Extension and Application Assets are licensed on a per seat basis may not be shared or used concurrently on more than 2 different computers.

nasos_333 likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see, so only restriction is site based, seems strange a bit to give so full use permission.

6. TFR_YT_OG

TFR_YT_OG

wait so if I was making a game for school and went to buy an asset for me and 1 other person to use in that project for school and it was per seat I would have to buy 2 I cant just split the cost and we use it only for that game

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Correct. Your project needs 2 seats. Think of it like an airplane ticket. If you've bought a ticket to fly under your name, you can't also sneak your friend in for free. They need to buy a ticket, too. Publishers price their assets accordingly. If only one person on a flight bought their ticket and then snuck all their friends into the plane's remaining seats, the airline would go out of business. Or, in the case of assets, the publisher would go out of business and then the asset would be deprecated.

One note: The difference from an airplane ticket is that you can use your seat license for any number of games.

That said, since you're a student, contact the asset publisher. Maybe they can do something to help with the cost. It's not always possible, since publishers usually operate with very thin margins, but it could be worth a try.