Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Button is in pressed state when enabled

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by mikeohc, Sep 6, 2021.

1. mikeohc

mikeohc

In the images below, you can see that the progress line method gets called again when the mouse is up, causing a flicker in dialogue.

1) Dialogue progresses normally until clicked again. Flicker due to button getting called twice. On down and on up.
    ButtonCalled_Flicker.gif
    2) Flicker is gone when I click down without letting go. The call fires again when mouse is up.
    ButtonCalled_Hold.gif
    3) When I interact with any other UI and come back, the problem is gone. Button works normally on first interaction as well. Problem only exist in repeating calls consecutively.
    ButtonCalled_Works.gif

I can't find the problem no matter where I look in the script. Debug.Log() prints the correct index, so the only lead I found was that the button gets called on mouse up after some testing.

Any idea why this is happening?

2. mikeohc

mikeohc

I found the problem but no solution. So basically EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject still has a reference to the dialogue advance line button. According to Unity UI, onClick gets called on mouse up on the same object. Therefore the advance line gets call again when I initial the dialogue.

I tried :
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.current.SetSelectedGameObject(null);

before initiating the dialogue, but it still doesn't clear the cache.
    Screenshot (331).png

Edited: even if EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject is null. I still have the same problem of AdvanceLine Button getting called the moment it is enabled when enabled again.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  3. mikeohc

mikeohc

Okay, so it appears this is what's happening.

The button is considered to be in 'pressed' state the moment it is enabled again. I can't figure out why that is. Is it a bug?

Edited : So the only hacky fix is to disable the AdvanceButton until the 'first mouse up' has completed. Then re-enable the button afterwards. Please tell me there is a better solution...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021