Search Unity

[BurstCompile] Span<T> support

Discussion in 'Burst' started by Deleted User, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there any plans to have support for Span<T> family.
    For instance ReadOnlySpan<T> throws an unsupported exception.

Full stack:

Unexpected exception Burst.Compiler.IL.CompilerException: Unexpected exception ---> Burst.Compiler.IL.CompilerException: Error while processing function `System.Void ECSNet.TestSystem/NetworkEventJob::Execute(ECSNet.NetworkEvent&)` ---> Burst.Compiler.IL.CompilerException: Error while processing variable `System.ReadOnlySpan`1<ECSNet.CMDConnect> var.0;` ---> System.NotSupportedException: The managed class type `System.Pinnable`1<ECSNet.CMDConnect>` is not supported by burst
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CompileType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeReference, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.GenericContext genericContext, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] structBeingVisited, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.TypeUsage typeUsage) [0x002d6] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CompileStruct (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition typeDefinition, Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeReference, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.GenericContext genericContext, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] structBeingVisited, Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor+TypeCacheKey typeCacheKey, Burst.Backend.TypeHandle& ret) [0x00130] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CompileType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeReference, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.GenericContext genericContext, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1[T] structBeingVisited, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.TypeUsage typeUsage) [0x0029a] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CompileType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeReference, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.GenericContext genericContext, Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.TypeUsage typeUsage) [0x00006] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CreateLocalVariableImpl (Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.ILLocalVariable variable, Mono.Cecil.TypeReference variableType) [0x00015] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVerifier.CreateLocalVariableImpl (Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.ILLocalVariable variable, Mono.Cecil.TypeReference variableType) [0x00024] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.CreateBackendLocalVariable (Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.ILLocalVariable variable) [0x00027] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.PreProcessInstructions () [0x00020] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.PreProcessInstructions () [0x00047] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.ProcessFunctionBody (Burst.Compiler.IL.Syntax.ILFunction function) [0x000fd] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.VisitPendingFunctions () [0x0000e] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.VisitPendingFunctions () [0x00033] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.VisitEntryPointFunction (Burst.Compiler.IL.MethodReferenceWithHash methodReference) [0x00066] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVisitor.VisitEntryPointFunction (Burst.Backend.Module module, Burst.Compiler.IL.MethodReferenceWithHash methodReference) [0x0001a] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVerifier.VisitEntryPointFunction (Burst.Backend.Module module, Burst.Compiler.IL.MethodReferenceWithHash methodReference) [0x00000] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILVerifier.VisitEntryPointFunction (Burst.Backend.Module module, Burst.Compiler.IL.MethodReferenceWithHash methodReference) [0x0001f] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.ILHash.CompileHash (Burst.Backend.Module module, Burst.Compiler.IL.MethodReferenceWithHash methodReference) [0x00000] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.NativeCompiler.ComputeHash () [0x000ea] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompiler.CompileMethod (Mono.Cecil.MethodReference methodReference, Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitOptions jitOptions) [0x000aa] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService.Compile (Burst.Compiler.IL.Jit.JitCompilerService+CompileJob job) [0x002b2] in <37bebafd236f4ccd943dc039a926a017>:0

While compiling job: System.Void Unity.Entities.JobProcessComponentDataExtensions/JobStruct_Process1`2<ECSNet.TestSystem/NetworkEventJob,ECSNet.NetworkEvent>::Execute(Unity.Entities.JobProcessComponentDataExtensions/JobStruct_Process1`2<T,U0>&,System.IntPtr,System.IntPtr,Unity.Jobs.LowLevel.Unsafe.JobRanges&,System.Int32)

Code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         [BurstCompile]
    3.         public struct NetworkEventJob : IJobProcessComponentData<NetworkEvent>
    4.         {
    5.             public void Execute([ReadOnly] ref NetworkEvent data)
    6.             {
    7.                     ReadOnlySpan<CMDConnect> readOnlySpan;
    8.                     unsafe
    9.                     {
    10.                         readOnlySpan = new ReadOnlySpan<CMDConnect>((void*)data.Data, 1);
    11.                     }
    12.             }
    13.         }

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2018
  2. recursive

recursive

Had to dig up my older post on this here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/nativehashmap.514969/#post-3395223

The short version:

Burst expects and restricts memory access to direct memory allocations made with Unity's NativeContainers. Span<T> is an abstraction that could represent multiple allocations, treating them as a seemingly linear structure. It has more in comment with ComponentDataArray<T> (which is being deprecated in favor of chunk iteration and regular NativeContiainer access), than any other structure. The thing about burst is unity's types and idioms are built with Burst in mind (and burst is mainly aware of specific types it can optimize).

On top of this, Burst has the extra caveat of being unable/unsafe to access managed memory. Span<T> can represent both a managed allocation AND an native allocation, meaning Burst cannot safely assume the job threads have sole access and it would likely cause runtime issues if the compiler didn't complain about it first.

RaL and Deleted User like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for the detail explanation. I ended up with a BurstCompile job however putting [BurstDiscard] in the scope when Span gets created.

recursive likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have a question for you.
    Do you know why creating a NativeArray allocates GC? Is there any way to avoid such things?

Code (CSharp):
    1.     protected override JobHandle OnUpdate(JobHandle inputDeps)
    2.         {
    3.             NativeArray<CMDSend> commandSend = new NativeArray<CMDSend>(1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.TempJob);
    5.             commandSend.Dispose();
    6.             return inputDeps;
    7.         }
    Please note, all of the data is bittable inside a struct CMDSend.

5. tertle

tertle

Are you profiling this in editor?

It should not create garbage at runtime. You should not really bother profiling garbage in editor because there are a lot of safety checks that produce garbage that don't exist once you build.

lmbarns and recursive like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you.

@recursive one thing that I've noticed. You've said that NativeArray is more cache friendly than Span. I would say it depends on Allocator that you use. If you'd allocate the memory for Span<T> by Marshal.AllocHGlobal it will be just allocated on the heap. However, there are cache-friendly allocator that allows to work with CPU cache. https://github.com/nxrighthere/Smmalloc-CSharp

7. recursive

recursive

Hmm interesting, though to be fair any linear array allocation is going to be cache friendly compared to an object graph. I'll take a look at this, there's some REST clients I'm involved with that might benefit from it.

Deleted User likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@tertle , @recursive can I actually make NativeArray<T> to act like Span<T>? So lets say to allocate a NativeArray<struct> get its pointer and after some time convert the pointer back to NativeArray<T> to get the data?

I was looking for GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr and NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray, however I am getting null exception when trying to read from converted array.

9. tertle

tertle

You need to also call NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle to setup safety handles when using ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray

Some random example.

Code (CSharp):
    2.             managedData = new Vector4[1023];
    3.             handle = GCHandle.Alloc(managedData, GCHandleType.Pinned);
    4.             var ptr = handle.AddrOfPinnedObject().ToPointer();
    5.             Data = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<float4>(ptr, managedData.Length, Allocator.Invalid);
    6. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    7.             NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref Data, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    8. #endif

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I much appreciate that.
    It worked. However it doesn't let me to Dispose the array that I've just converted.

11. tertle

tertle

The original allocator needs to be the one to dispose it.

Speaking of,

Why are you converting it back? You already have a NativeArray that points to the same memory location that needs to be tracked so you can dispose it.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I use it to allow inter thread communication. So basically I have non blocking Queues of pointers. Instead of having a Queue of NativeArrays. But still I have to figure out how can I dispose the array after I've converted it from the existing data.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             var array = new NativeArray<TestMessage>(1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.TempJob);
    2.             array[0] = new TestMessage { TestInt = 25 };
    4.             unsafe
    5.             {
    6.                 var converted = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<TestMessage>(array.GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr(),
    7.                     1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Invalid);
    8. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    9.                 NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref converted, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    10. #endif
    12.                 converted.Dispose(); // causes exception
    13.             }
    15.             array.Dispose(); // is fine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2018
  13. recursive

recursive

You may also want to look into NativeSlice<T> and it's related utilities. I've been able to use it for "temp" NativeArray-ish behavior until the feature arrives in burst sometime later. Plus several of the utilties like Sort() are already supported for it. That way you can allocate a large array and pass the native slices around, recycling the memory as needed. You could even back it with a NativeList<T>. That way all you have to do is worry about which slices are tracked for which processing and then only allocate/deallocate the memory in one place.

Deleted User likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am not use if this code is safe to use. But however it works. It turns that even though you call Dispose, the actual data can be acessed after.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         protected override void OnCreateManager()
    2.         {
    3.             base.OnCreateManager();
    5.             var array = new NativeArray<int>(1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.TempJob);
    6.             array[0] = 25;
    8.             unsafe
    9.             {
    10.                 var pointer = (IntPtr)array.GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr();
    11.                 array.Dispose();
    13.                 Output(pointer);
    14.             }
    16.         }
    18.         private void Output(IntPtr data)
    19.         {
    20.             unsafe
    21.             {
    22.                 var converted = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<int>(data.ToPointer(),
    23.        1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Invalid);
    25. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    26.                 NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref converted, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    27. #endif
    29.                 Debug.Log(converted[0]);
    30.             }
    31.         }
    32.     }

15. recursive

recursive

There's a decent chance the memory could be reclaimed by another thread once it's been released:
    • The NativeArray<T> and friends use the same basic memory arena that the non-exposed Jobs use.
    • Once NativeContainer temp allocations are allowed in jobs and Burst jobs, all bets are off.
    It's working for now because you're accessing that memory immediately on the main thread in the editor, which is slower and has more safety checks involved but there's no guarantee this won't blow up in the near future once more API changes drop.

I'd still look into NativeSlice to pass a chunk of memory off to a queue to be worked on.

16. tertle

tertle

I don't feel like that's safe. It can probably be allocated again by unity and overwritten.[/code]

17. tertle

tertle

Code (CSharp):
    1.             var array = new NativeArray<TestMessage>(1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.TempJob);
    2.             array[0] = new TestMessage { TestInt = 25 };
    4.             unsafe
    5.             {
    6.                 var converted = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<TestMessage>(array.GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr(),
    7.                     1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Invalid);
    8. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    9.                 NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref converted, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    10. #endif
    12.                 converted.Dispose(); // causes exception
    13.             }
    15.             array.Dispose(); // is fine
    You don't need this line
    converted.Dispose(); // causes exception

You're not allocating anything with ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray so it's not up to this array to handle the memory.
    You just need to call array.Dispose.

But the real point is. You dont need this bit at all.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             unsafe
    2.             {
    3.                 var converted = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<TestMessage>(array.GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr(),
    4.                     1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Invalid);
    5. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    6.                 NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref converted, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    7. #endif
    9.                 converted.Dispose(); // causes exception
    10.             }
    Why create an array you already have. Just use array again after you manipulate the pointer.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

I should mentioned that it's Single producer single consumer communication of C# Threads, not jobs one. So that means One thread allocates memory and the memory accessed only by Another thread. I might read the data in a job, however, main thread creates the data and a job thread reads it then some sort of EndFrameSystem deallocates the memory.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why do I bother with all of these pointers is the approach that I have. It's for the networking. I have a serialization / deserialization C# thread. Once a network message got deserialized it pushes the Event with a pointer that points to the deserialized data. The Event is pushed into the main thread. Then main thread creates an entity with IComponentData called NetworkPacket that contains an Opcode (enum) and Data (IntPtr). The data inside the IntPtr is all bittable. So I need to somehow convert it back to get the deserialized data. I was doing the Span<T> approach and it worked flawlessly when it was just Non burst jobs. However, now I've started to have Burst compiler exceptions and even [BurstDiscard] attribute for reading doesn't work.

20. tertle

tertle

You're missing what I'm trying to say.

Option 1. Convert native array to span.

Create NativeArray<T> array with new() and an allocator
    Get pointer of NativeArray<T>, pointer = array.GetUnsafeReadOnlyPtr()
    Use pointer to create Span<T>
    Manipulate SpanT
    Access the changes in array.
    Dispose array.

i.e. NativeArrayT -> SpanT

Option 2. Convert span to native array.

Create a Span<T>
    Manipulate span
    Create array using NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray from the SpanT pointer.
    No need to dispose, memory is handled by managed side.

i.e. SpanT -> NativeArrayT

What you're doing is Convert native array to span back to native array.
    NativeArrayT (A) -> SpanT -> NativeArrayT (B)
    where A and B are identical except B can't dispose of the memory.

Deleted User likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

@recursive , @tertle

Gentlemen, I got my job compiled with the Burst. So instead of reading IntPtr with ReadOnlySpan I read the pointer with NativeArrayUnsafeUtility

Code (CSharp):
    1.    var converted = NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.ConvertExistingDataToNativeArray<TestMessage>(data.Data.ToPointer(),
    2.                         1, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Invalid);
    3. #if ENABLE_UNITY_COLLECTIONS_CHECKS
    4.                 NativeArrayUnsafeUtility.SetAtomicSafetyHandle(ref converted, AtomicSafetyHandle.Create());
    5. #endif
    I will measure the performance. I think it should be okay.
    I appreciate your time and your help.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Right, I've just figured it out and it was the second option. Thank you.

23. tertle

tertle

Made some edits to make it a bit clearer to anyone else, but glad you got it sorted!

Deleted User likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Appreciate your patience with such case.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've got even better results with UnsafeUtility.CopyPtrToStructure since I use only single structure so I don't need an entire Array.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2018
  26. recursive

recursive

That's even better. Glad to help.

Deleted User likes this.
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

@xoofx Is there any plans to support Span<T>, ReadonlySpan<T> with burst?

28. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

We don't have any short-term plan for that. The problem is `Span<T>` can have reference to managed objects while we can't support that in burst, so the only scenario that we will support is to allow to wrap `Span<T>` around a stackalloc and native pointers

29. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

That's what we are currently doing anyway (primarily to avoid marshalling and work with native memory blocks directly), it would be great if it will be possible to do this with Burst.

30. OndrejP

OndrejP

@xoofx Any update on this?

31. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

1.6.1 should have Span and ReadOnlySpan - the only thing you can't do with them is pass then across the managed <-> Burst boundary.