Search Unity

Burst on standalone builds

Discussion in 'Burst' started by rz_0lento, Jun 14, 2018.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I've seen many mentions that this will be possible during 2018.2. Is it there yet and if, how does one force standalone build to use it?

So far I haven't seen any difference on builds if one enables burst from editor so I'm guessing these settings don't carry to the build yet.

2. Afonso-Lage

Afonso-Lage

Are you adding the [BrustCompile] attribute on given Job?

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

yes and Burst definitely works in the editor.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Burst standalone support is not yet part of 18.2 beta, we are still aiming to get the necessary changes into 18.2 to enable burst for standalone players.

5. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

If you are using a very recent version of burst (0.2.4-preview.12) with the latest 2018.2 and trying to build a standalone player, it should work but a bug sneaked into the editor menus in beta 8, so the experience today is not great, as the checkbox in the Jobs menu are wrong and/or inverted.

We are writing the very last bits of the documentation to make an official release of the AOT mode. It should hopefully come in the coming days, by the end of this month.

rz_0lento and FROS7 like this.
  6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Oh wow, Burst indeed works now on standalone, thank you all :)
    Apparently just using the Jobs menu enables/disables burst from standalone as well. Would be nice to have some build setting for it I guess.

7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. working good for me both with mono and IL2CPP :)

8. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

I agree. That's something we will improve towards 2018.3

FROS7 and rz_0lento like this.
  9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

How is SSE/AVX etc targets swapped atm? I know the setting in the Burst inspector, does it carry into builds too? I hope these things will be included in the player etc settings in the future if they are things user can set.

Of course, I'd love to have that automatic fallback from AVX to SSE too which we discussed earlier (so "auto" would work out of the box for all target platforms) but it's not clear at all what Burst targets atm if you don't touch anythging. I'm assuming SSE2 ?

In ideal case, you'd be allowed to pick the targets you want to support and Burst would compile variants for all of them with fallbacks to lesser tech.

10. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

It should be SSE4 by default.
    If you look into the burst source in the BurstAotCompiler.cs, there is the method TryGetTargetPlatform that returns the default target CPU. We will add a proper setting but for this early AOT preview, this is still hardcoded.

rz_0lento likes this.