Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Burst - Native Link Step Failed (macOS)

Discussion in 'Burst' started by ryanslikesocool, Aug 3, 2020.

1. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Ever since updating my computer to macOS 11 beta 3 (when Apple changed the OS version from 10.16 to 11.0), I've been bombarded with errors while my game recompiles, similar to the error in the file I've attached. I can reproduce this with any project that has Burst. It also takes about 3-4 minutes to recompile every time I edit a script, which is really killing my productivity. Is this something I'm doing wrong, or is there something I can do in the meantime while I wait for a fix?

Attached Files:

2. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

Hi, I`m sorry to hear about your troubles, we haven't actually tested burst against beta versions of macOS, so it is possible we have missed something here. We are now actively investigating.

As a possible workaround, can you try setting the following environment variable :

UNITY_BURST_USE_DESKTOP_NATIVE_LINKERS=1

you may need to launch the unity version directly from the command line for this to work (rather than the hub).

e.g.

`UNITY_BURST_USE_DESKTOP_NATIVE_LINKERS=1 <pathtounity> -projectPath <pathtoproject>

This will force burst to use the xcode command line tools, so please make sure these are correctly installed first..

ryanslikesocool and florianhanke like this.
  3. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Thank you for the quick response. It almost worked! Or at least, I'm getting different errors this time. I've made sure that the command line tools are updated, as well as brew packages, but still no luck... I also ensured that the correct Xcode version was selected with
    sudo xcode-select --switch <pathtoxcode>

Attached Files:

4. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, it looks like the native toolchain path also requires some fixups for the beta. I've recreated the first issue here which appears to be a bug/issue whereby burst misidentifies the host platform. This means unfortunately at this time there is no workaround for the burst issues (other than disabling burst via the jobs menu) on the macOS 11 beta.

5. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Ah that's a shame. Alright, thank you for the information! It's nice to know that the issue is known/being worked on :)

Lee_Hammerton likes this.
  6. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

This issue appears to have been resolved as of Unity 2020.2b1. Thank you!

Lee_Hammerton likes this.