Search Unity

Burst for standalone players

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by xoofx, Jul 10, 2018.

1. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

which version of burst are you using?

Afair, the error should report that you have to add the BurstCompile attribute on the enclosing type as well when using function pointers. If it is still happening on the latest 1.2.0-preview.8 version, let us know, we will improve the error message.

amarcolina likes this.
  2. Dreamback

Dreamback

I'm trying to make a Standalone Linux build on a Windows PC. I get the error about the Burst Compiler, even after disabling the Burst Compiler. And in Jobs->Burst, Enable Compilation is not checked. This is in Unity 2019.2.11. Note that when I was using 2019.1.12, I got the error but it would still complete the build (I assume that build just didn't use Burst). BurstError.PNG
    Burst_AOT.PNG

3. amarcolina

amarcolina

Ahh looks like I was only on the latest non-preview release, I should have tried the preview releases, it does indeed look like the error message is more descriptive there. Ok awesome, so all I was missing was the extra [BurstCompile] attribute, awesome! Thanks for the help!

4. Dreamback

Dreamback

Aha, found the problem earlier in this thread, there's a bug that the menu doesn't write changes to the .json config file, even though the inspector does keep the state of the checkbox. When I manually edited the file, that fixed the problem.

5. Ziboo

Ziboo

Any news about having CommandBuffer in Bursted Jobs ?

6. siggigg

siggigg

I think they mentioned at Unite that it would be in the next release?

7. eric_funktroniclabs

eric_funktroniclabs

Regarding Burst for Lumin, it appears that 1.1.3 is required, but it is not available in my package manager (using staging). Using Unity 2019.2.11f1.

Is it only available in Unity 2019.3 or something like that?

[Edit: My manifest was targeting staging, so when I removed that all the new packages appeared and my issue was resolved.]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  8. slime73

slime73

9. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

@eric_funktroniclabs I believe 1.1.3 was just the first package to contain the fix, however you should be able to use 1.2.0 previews and beyond as well. Because 1.2.0 is not yet final, you need to enable show preview packages in the package manager options for it to show up.

10. eric_funktroniclabs

eric_funktroniclabs

I discovered this morning that I had my manifest targeting the `staging` repo, which caused some packages to not appear. Removing that has fixed my issue. I can now upgrade fully and make builds. Thanks!

11. SniperED007

SniperED007

Using Burst 1.2.0 preview 9
    Unity 2019.2.10f1

I get the following error building for UWP:

BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.2.0-preview.9) failed running
    stdout:
    An unexpected exception occurred:
    stderr:
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'Windows, Version=255.255.255.255, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference name, ReaderParameters parameters)
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference name)
    at Mono.Cecil.MetadataResolver.Resolve(TypeReference type)
    at Mono.Cecil.TypeReference.Resolve()
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.Helpers.CecilExtensions.StrictResolve(TypeReference typeReference)
    at Burst.Bcl.BclApp.FindExecuteMethods(List`1 rootAssemblyPaths)
    at Burst.Bcl.BclApp.GetMethodsToCompileBeforeDynamicDispatch()
    at Burst.Bcl.BclApp.GetMethodsToCompile()
    at Burst.Bcl.Program.Main(String[] args)

Note, I am also using the following:

#if ENABLE_WINMD_SUPPORT && UNITY_WSA
    using Windows.ApplicationModel;
    using Windows.ApplicationModel.Store;
    #endif

12. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

@SniperED007 - thanks for the report, this looks to be an uncaught error report in burst. It is likely being caused by the use of a type in the Windows.winmd assembly in some burst compiled code. I`ve logged an issue to improve the error handling, until then, the best I can suggest is to remove the burst compile attribute from some jobs in turn in order to figure out which one contains the reference that burst does not support (cannot resolve).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  13. rasto61

rasto61

Im getting this
    in Unity 2018.4.11
    using 1.2.0 preview 8 (also tried 9)

BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.2.0-preview.8) failed running
    stdout:
    stderr:
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: 'CTNLayer, Version=1.2.6652.30480, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference name, ReaderParameters parameters)
    at Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader.Resolve(AssemblyNameReference name)
    at Burst.Bcl.BclApp.LoadAllAssemblyReferences(AssemblyDefinition asmDef, Dictionary`2 visited)
    at Burst.Bcl.BclApp.LoadAllAssemblyReferences(AssemblyDefinition asmDef, Dictionary`2 visited)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.8/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:725)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.8/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:663)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.8/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:637)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.8/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:332)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.8/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:90)
    UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  14. rasto61

rasto61

15. bgrz

bgrz

@Lee_Hammerton seems like there's a problem with handling paths that contain spaces, getting this on 2019.2.15f:

My full Windows username is my first and last name, seems like it's not handling a space there properly.

16. siggigg

siggigg

bgrz likes this.
  17. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report, this is an issue where burst is scanning for burst compiled code but accidently picks up unrelated assemblies, I`m working on a fix for this now.

18. rasto61

rasto61

Was there a fix in .11?

Im now getting this in .11:
    BuildFailedException: Burst compiler (1.2.0-preview.11) failed running
    stdout:
    stderr:
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunProgram (UnityEditor.Utils.Program p, System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.11/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:725)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, System.String workingDirectory, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.11/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:663)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler+BclRunner.RunManagedProgram (System.String exe, System.String args, UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.CompilerOutputParserBase parser, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.11/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:637)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.11/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:332)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.2.0-preview.11/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:90)
    UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs (UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/BuildPipelineInterfaces.cs:452)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

19. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, the fix was not entirely covering that case. We should have a fix for this case and it will be hopefully in the following preview.12.

20. francois85

francois85

Wondering if someone could help me out, Ive just upgraded to 2019.3.0f3 Current Platform (im on Mac) and Im seeing this error Cannot find the field `TypeInfos` required for supporting TypeManager intrinsics in burst. Any help would be appreciated.

Code (CSharp):
    3. ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs(431,13): error: Cannot find the field `TypeInfos` required for supporting TypeManager intrinsics in burst
    4.  at Unity.Entities.TypeManager.GetTypeInfo(int typeIndex) (at ../Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/Types/TypeManager.cs:430)
    5.  at Unity.Entities.ChunkDataUtility.ReplicateComponents(Unity.Entities.Chunk* srcChunk, int srcIndex, Unity.Entities.Chunk* dstChunk, int dstBaseIndex, int count) (at ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/ChunkDataUtility.cs:268)
    6.  at Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore.InstantiateEntitiesOne(Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore* this, Unity.Entities.Entity srcEntity, Unity.Entities.Entity* outputEntities, int instanceCount, Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore.InstantiateRemapChunk* remapChunks, int remapChunksCount) (at ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/EntityComponentStoreCreateDestroyEntities.cs:432)
    7.  at Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore.InstantiateEntitiesGroup(Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore* this, Unity.Entities.Entity* srcEntities, int srcEntityCount, Unity.Entities.Entity* outputRootEntities, int instanceCount) (at ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/EntityComponentStoreCreateDestroyEntities.cs:502)
    8.  at Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore.InstantiateEntities(Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore* this, Unity.Entities.Entity srcEntity, Unity.Entities.Entity* outputEntities, int instanceCount) (at ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/EntityComponentStoreCreateDestroyEntities.cs:203)
    9.  at Unity.Entities.StructuralChange.InstantiateEntitiesExecute(Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore* entityComponentStore, Unity.Entities.Entity* srcEntity, Unity.Entities.Entity* outputEntities, int instanceCount) (at ../Unity/AA/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.4.0-preview.10/Unity.Entities/EntityManagerChangeArchetype.cs:135)
    12. While compiling job: System.Void Unity.Entities.StructuralChange::InstantiateEntitiesExecute(Unity.Entities.EntityComponentStore*,Unity.Entities.Entity*,Unity.Entities.Entity*,System.Int32)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. {
    3.   "dependencies": {
    4.     "com.unity.burst": "1.1.2",
    5.     "com.unity.collab-proxy": "1.2.16",
    6.     "com.unity.collections": "0.4.0-preview.6",
    7.     "com.unity.entities": "0.4.0-preview.10",
    8.     "com.unity.ext.nunit": "1.0.0",
    9.     "com.unity.ide.rider": "1.1.4",
    10.     "com.unity.ide.vscode": "1.1.3",
    11.     "com.unity.rendering.hybrid": "0.3.1-preview.10",
    12.     "com.unity.test-framework": "1.1.9",
    13.     "com.unity.textmeshpro": "2.0.1",
    14.     "com.unity.timeline": "1.2.9",
    15.     "com.unity.ugui": "1.0.0",
    16.     "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    17.     "com.unity.modules.androidjni": "1.0.0",
    18.     "com.unity.modules.animation": "1.0.0",
    19.     "com.unity.modules.assetbundle": "1.0.0",
    20.     "com.unity.modules.audio": "1.0.0",
    21.     "com.unity.modules.cloth": "1.0.0",
    22.     "com.unity.modules.director": "1.0.0",
    23.     "com.unity.modules.imageconversion": "1.0.0",
    24.     "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    25.     "com.unity.modules.jsonserialize": "1.0.0",
    26.     "com.unity.modules.particlesystem": "1.0.0",
    27.     "com.unity.modules.physics": "1.0.0",
    28.     "com.unity.modules.physics2d": "1.0.0",
    29.     "com.unity.modules.screencapture": "1.0.0",
    30.     "com.unity.modules.terrain": "1.0.0",
    31.     "com.unity.modules.terrainphysics": "1.0.0",
    32.     "com.unity.modules.tilemap": "1.0.0",
    33.     "com.unity.modules.ui": "1.0.0",
    34.     "com.unity.modules.uielements": "1.0.0",
    35.     "com.unity.modules.umbra": "1.0.0",
    36.     "com.unity.modules.unityanalytics": "1.0.0",
    37.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequest": "1.0.0",
    38.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestassetbundle": "1.0.0",
    39.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestaudio": "1.0.0",
    40.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequesttexture": "1.0.0",
    41.     "com.unity.modules.unitywebrequestwww": "1.0.0",
    42.     "com.unity.modules.vehicles": "1.0.0",
    43.     "com.unity.modules.video": "1.0.0",
    44.     "com.unity.modules.vr": "1.0.0",
    45.     "com.unity.modules.wind": "1.0.0",
    46.     "com.unity.modules.xr": "1.0.0"
    47.   }
    48. }

21. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Update burst to 1.2.0 shut down Unity (may be remove Library\PackagesCache) and start again

22. francois85

francois85

According to the package manager im on burst 1.2.0 Preview 11 .. it that not correct?

23. francois85

francois85

Even on a brand new project installing the latest entities package i get a bunch of warnings

Code (CSharp):
    2. Assembly for Assembly Definition File 'Packages/com.unity.entities/DocCodeSamples.Tests/DocCodeSamples.asmdef' will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it.
    3. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilation/EditorCompilationInterface.cs:390)

24. francois85

francois85

OK If anyone else is running into this I fixed it by deleting manifest.json and PackagesCache like eizenhorn suggested. Package Manager is unreliable not displaying all the packages (and it not a filter setting I double checked that) It also showed incorrect package version as installed.

Anyway Marry Christmas and thanks Unity Dev for all the hard work over the past year, truly insane !!

25. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is WebGL Compatibility coming for 2019.3? It really sucks animation rigging can't work on WebGL because of this.

26. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

WebGL and Burst compatibility should be hopefully fixed later this year, but we don't have any precise ETA at the moment.

27. runner78

runner78

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but is it actually possible to use burst for mods, e.g. loading DLL at runtime with burst jobs?

cjxm and Jes28 like this.
  28. Atstec

Atstec

Hello everyone! Burst compiler does not support armv7? Thanks for any answer.

29. o1o1o1o1o2

o1o1o1o1o2

it supports, and 64 also

30. Solovykh

Solovykh

Burst 1.2.2 breaks Oculus desktop builds :(

31. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

@Solovykh do you have a crash, or error message in the console? Please could you start a new forum thread specific to your problem, so we can more easily track it.

32. Solovykh

Solovykh

unityunity