Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Burst does not support cross-compilation between Windows, Mac, or Linux

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by Little_Gorilla, May 28, 2019.

1. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

Just found out that Burst requires you to be running the same OS that you are building for, which is a nightmare for shipping an indie game!

I had no idea about this and am trying to ship my game for all platforms this year.

Are there any other solutions than buying an iMac and dual-booting to Linux?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Have you looked at using Cloud Build to build for the different platform targets?

3. tertle

tertle

You can just build for Mac OS in a virtual machine. I've been doing it for years for iOS builds (as the project requires CocoaPods making it so windows builds for iOS don't work.)

florianhanke and Shinyclef like this.
  4. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

That's a good idea, I will try it out!

I didn't realize you could VM OSX. But I'm also targeting Linux, so the pipeline for making a build would be way too time-consuming. Especially compared to just building all of them from my Windows machine in one shot.

Will try Cloud Build, or I'll have to remove the plugins that use ECS.

5. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

Be aware that running Mac OS in a VM on non-Apple hardware was a breach of the Mac OS EULA, last time I checked.

6. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

7. phobos2077

phobos2077

Is Linux build still not supported from Windows version of Unity?

8. GilCat

GilCat

I've recently seen several new packages in the package manager designed to help building DOTS for each platform.
    upload_2019-9-27_13-12-23.png

I haven't tried and don't know if it helps in this situation but worth a try.

9. phobos2077

phobos2077

Not really sure what it does from the (very) limited documentation but installing it doesn't change anything for me. Cross-compiling from Windows to Linux still doesn't work with Burst.

10. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

We can only hope!