Search Unity

Bug Burst Compiler Fails on Build

Discussion in 'Burst' started by Regretful123, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Regretful123

Regretful123

Hello all,

I'm working on trying to get Unity compile within Docker containers. (Using Windows 10 SDK). Before writing instruction, I decided to write out instruction literally step by step from a virtual machine.

I am having the worst time trying to figure out what components I'm missing from Visual Studio 2019 that Burst needs/requires. I've install all of the necessary MSVC tools from Visual studio, which can be seen in the screenshot below, still all to no avail. I saw the error message below the common one where it said that it was unable to find certain file from the path it's provided. I checked the VM's directory, and could not find x86\link.exe, I did however found that there's other linker available under different path, but why Unity choose this path is still beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting enough, on my local machine, it works just fine without any hiccup. I checked my path and found four different folders, including the missing folder required to build Burst.

Unity 2019.4.21f1
    Burst 1.4.8
    Visual Studio 2019 Community
    From Unity Hub
    - Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
    - Universal Windows Platform Build Support
    - Windows Build Support ( IL2CPP )
    I've restarted the VM several times too. No luck!

2. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

Can you confirm that link.exe location exists on the VM? Try running it from a cmd prompt with `link.exe /?` and make sure it is executable.

3. Regretful123

Regretful123

Hello @sheredom -
    Tried your suggestion, link.exe does not exist as stated above in the original comments. Typing link.exe /? in command prompt does not recognize the command.

Ultimately I found the culprit. This issue isn't related to Unity, but have to do with Microsoft's build tool not properly installing the necessary components during docker installation and VM installation.

Can I ask, based on the component ID from Microsoft, are these components below enough to build UWP platform for ARM processor from Unity (And obviously burst compiler)? (Hololens 2)
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.UniversalBuildTools
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Windows10SDK.19041
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.UWP.VC.ARM64
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.ARM
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.VC.Tools.ARM64

Thanks for your reply!

sheredom likes this.