Search Unity

Question Burst compiler failed running

Discussion in 'Windows' started by atomicstefan, Feb 8, 2023.

1. atomicstefan

atomicstefan

Hi, we are using Unity 2020.3.16f1 for a project, and it works on most machines, and can build.
    However, on my machine, I have both Visual Studio 2019 and 2022 installed, and the build fails with:

..I get a feeling that the dual VS installations confuses it somehow. Does anyone know how Unity locates the compiler/tools ("Unable to determine tools version of MSVC Linker")? So I can manually retry the same steps to see what fails?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It uses vswhere.exe to locate Visual Studio installation folder and then finds the linker (link.exe) within that folder. Make sure "Desktop development with C++" workload is installed:

upload_2023-2-7_23-29-40.png

That said, you're using an ancient version of the burst package. Newer versions don't require Visual Studio installed on your machine.

atomicstefan likes this.
  3. atomicstefan

atomicstefan

Thank you for the answer!
    I do have "Desktop development with C++" installed for VS 2019 - check.

If I run "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe", it shows two entries, one for VS 2019 and one for VS 2022. Following the installation path for 2019, I can find four link.exe:

upload_2023-2-8_22-35-56.png

..so I guess it should be possible to at least find it, right? Or is it an issue that vswhere.exe gives two entries back or something?

I could also try to upgrade the burst package, but I would rather fix this issue on my machine, if possible - since it's the same Unity version installed as on our "real" build machine, where the build works OK, and I'd like to get the same setup working on my own machine.

(additional note: I have no link.exe (or Desktop C++) installed for VS 2022)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I suspect it tries to look at the one in the latest version of Visual Studio and doesn't even consider VS 2019. Does VS 2022 have link.exe in its folder?

5. atomicstefan

atomicstefan

No it doesn't, so yeah maybe that could fix it then, installing Desktop C++ for VS 2022 also. I'll try that!

But now I looked closer at Burst and got interested:) I have little knowledge of Unity packages - is it installed in the current project, or as some part of the "central" Unity installation?

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Packages get installed on per-project basis.

atomicstefan likes this.
  7. atomicstefan

atomicstefan

Ok - thank you for the quick help!