Search Unity

Resolved Burst compilation locking up the editor

Discussion in 'Burst' started by jdtec, Feb 8, 2021.

1. jdtec

jdtec

Has anyone experienced this and got any solutions? Burst has become practically unusable since updating to the latest DOTs packages today. I often get it to work the first time after starting up Unity, then subsequent runs after changing a burst compile option such as safety checks or a script change will lock up the editor and I have to force quit.

The editor log doesn't seem to have anything much of note yet.

Are there some known bugs here with burst & the latest beta? I didn't see anything that stuck out on the release notes.

2021.1.0b5 Mac OSX
    All latest DOTs packages from release of Entities 0.17

2. tertle

tertle

A few months ago I resorted to disabling auto refresh and manually refreshing instead. This significantly reduced the number of lock ups I experience in Unity.

Since then I've suggested it to numerous team members all with positive results.

Takes a bit to get used to but I actually prefer it now. No more accidental compiling when tabbing back into unity to look at some data or bad merge because I was to lazy to close unity etc.

FWCorey, xVergilx and jdtec like this.
  3. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

Could you file a bug, if you haven't already? and post the case number back here. We aren't aware of any lockups like you suggest and would definitely like to investigate it further.

4. jdtec

jdtec

Thanks for the suggestion @tertle, I will try that.

Hi Lee, I'll try to file a bug report soon. The main reason I haven't yet is because of the overhead of setting up another project that demonstrates the issue and the slightly non-deterministic reproducibility of the lock-up (sometimes Burst manages to compile more than once in a row per an editor session).

Worth noting I have no problems when Burst is disabled.

Lee_Hammerton likes this.
  5. jdtec

jdtec

I didn't think of a way to diagnose and submit a bug report for this in the end given the amount of time I was willing to invest into it. I just stopped using Burst. Manual refreshing for compilation didn't help here.

I updated to 1.6 preview the other day though and it seems a lot more reliable again now. I haven't had it hang the editor yet. I guess your other customers got feedback to you.

Unrelated but I always do manual refresh now and prefer it.