Search Unity

Bug Burst AVX2 Crash using Burst 1.8.2, 1.8.3

Discussion in 'Burst' started by ed-fj, Mar 20, 2023.

1. ed-fj

ed-fj

We have been getting a crash on builds made using 2022.2.2 and Burst 1.8.2 where in the crash dump it has indicated an AVX2 related error. This was on an i5-2400.

The build did not crash with AVX2 disabled. Then we got 2022.2.11 and Burst 1.8.3 to see whether there is any difference, and there is, however we get a similar error at a different place.

The error looks like this:

ExceptionAddress: 00007ffd5faa9959 (lib_burst_generated!burst.initialize.statics.a6f5259e22ed809ef3937424c4bd686d_avx2+0x0000000000004aa9)
    ExceptionCode: c000001d (Illegal instruction)
    ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 0

2. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi @ed-fj - it's expected that a build targeting AVX2 would/could crash on an i5-2400, since that chip doesn't support AVX2. Unless I'm missing something?

3. Grigler_f

Grigler_f

I'm a colleague of @ed-fj .

We've been previously building with the following target architectures on Unity version 2021.3.5f1, Burst version 1.7.4 without issue. This issue has only started happening while attempting to upgrade to the versions mentioned in the OP. While investigating the issue, we found this older bug post which looked similar which is why we believed there was a bug in Burst.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/burst-crashes-development-build-on-specific-gpu.1364952/

This part of the documentation does also contradict what you've said, so it would be good to get clarification on this.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.burst@1.8/manual/building-aot-settings.html

upload_2023-3-23_16-30-48.png

4. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

@Grigler_f - thanks for the extra details. I didn't know you were doing a build for multiple CPU architectures - I thought maybe you were only targeting AVX2. You're right, when you target multiple CPU architectures like that, it should be dispatching only to a version supported on the current CPU. Perhaps something is going wrong with Burst's CPU detection.

Are you in a position to submit a bug report via Help > Report a Bug? If so, please let me know the bug number and we'll have a look.

5. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

Another thought - we did fix a possibly-related bug in Burst 1.8.3, so please could you try upgrading to that and seeing if it still happens?

6. ed-fj

ed-fj

Thanks for your responses, Tim. It's true that we began with "Everything" enabled, and later experimented by turning individual options off.

We've tried both Burst 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 (and both experienced the issue). So now I'm in the process of submitting a bug report for you. I'll let you know when that's done.

7. ed-fj

ed-fj

I have created a bug report:

IN-36563

I did not include our entire project because it was failling for unclear reasons, but it was also pretty large. Anyway if that's needed maybe I can upload that separately later.

I included the exe and instructions so maybe we can start there anyway.

8. OndrejP

OndrejP

9. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks @ed-fj - the bug report has made its way to us, and we'll take a look.

10. OndrejP

OndrejP

11. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

@OndrejP Thankyou, from the crash dump and the lib_burst_generated and the debug build, I've been able to determine the cause of the issue (it is indeed a bug in burst). It will require a new burst package (I`ll work on the fix shortly, but I cannot give an ETA as yet).

@ed-fj I'm trying to confirm if your bug is related (I suspect it is), do you happen to have a crash dump from one of the times it failed? (And a matching lib_burst_generated in case its different to the one provided in the bug). At present I don't have access to a machine that doesn't support AVX, so i can't simply reproduce and get my own crash dump. The stack you pasted in the first message, doesn't seem to resolve to an avx instruction in the lib burst generated provided in the bug report - i had to assume the base address, since i don't have a dump.

tim_jones and OndrejP like this.
  12. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

Just to update, thanks to @ed-fj sending me the crash dump, I've been able to determine that indeed the OPs issue is caused by the same bug.

I`m working on this now, with the intention to get the fix into 1.8.5, the only workaround for now, would be to disable all but the SSE2 code gen in the Burst.Aot.Settings.

13. forestrf

forestrf

I also encountered this problem. Using only SSE2 does indeed fix the problem, so I will use it for now until the next patch. Thank you for the workaround!

Edit: I'm on Unity 2021, currently on July 2023 there are no updates yet, but Burst appears updated in Unity 2022 to version 1.8.7. Manually updating the manifest.json file to point to that version, the problem seems to have been solved.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Lee_Hammerton likes this.