Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Burst 1.3.0 preview update problem

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by ringhino, Apr 10, 2020.

1. ringhino

ringhino

Hello i have an issue when I try to upgrade Burst compiler from 1.2.3 to 1.3.0: the installer progress freezes and doesn't finalize the installation.

So,the collection package dependency top give me an error of incompatibile dependency.

This happens After the upgrade to the last Unity 2019.3.9f1

2. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

So I just saw this myself on Thursday last week (it's not a consistent repro from what I can tell).

We're still looking into it, but as a workaround if you kill the editor and restart it did work for me (not ideal but hope it unblocks you).

3. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ringhino,

This could be tricky to pinpoint what went wrong e.g. whether this was a network error while downloading the package or if something went wrong while importing the package assets. When updating a package via the Packman window, you first see a little spinner next to the package name in the left-hand pane (new version downloading) and then a popup dialog appears with a progress bar (assets importing into project) - do you remember at which point the freeze occurred?

4. FGallorini

FGallorini

5. ringhino

ringhino

6. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately this seems to be an issue with the Burst package itself rather than the Package Manager so I can't help with that. Looks like this is a known issue in the link you posted they say:

http://answers.unity.com/answers/1718704/view.html

7. FGallorini

FGallorini

Ok After a long reimport to recreate the library it's work

sheredom likes this.
  8. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

Sorry that this caused you pain - we are working on it but its a really tricky issue for us to solve and that's why we've not been able to push out a quick fix for this one!

9. soleron

soleron

Quite a few issues with 1.3.0 it should not have been released like that. There is also a killer bug when working on UWP and the workaround for this may end up with a cascade of issues... please be more careful with your package releases especially since some of them affect a series of other packages!!!

10. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

The packages that you are likely using are in preview, and these packages are pulling a preview version of burst 1.3.0.

A preview package is a preview, it is experimental, it can have bugs. But preview are here for you to experiment with the new features and to help us making a good stable, if we can't make previews, how do we get feedback from you? Magically after a stable? That doesn't work, no good software release can't go without a good time of preview in the hand of users. If we were not doing preview, you wouldn't be happy either.

Also, more specifically:

Have you reported this issue in a separate thread and sent a bug through a Unity bug report? Can you give us the case id? (I can see that we have a pending UWP issue with XR and ARM64, is it this one?) We have been trying to fix UWP issues when we got them, but if they are not reported, we can't fix them frankly. But if you have reported them and we have not given an update, please report to us as well, I believe you can bump a comment on the issue or drop a message in the DOTS forum.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

This something that has been very annoying for users, we agree.

So with the new version `1.3.0-preview.10` we have added a popup that will show-up if the Burst package has been upgraded and request you to close and restart the editor. It should fix the freeze as well which was due to an unfortunate collapse of events due to the previous update failure.

12. soleron

soleron

This has been reported and accepted and marked as fixed in the latest version of burst. I was not building for ARM. PC 64. Still affected me.

It was broken with or without "Preview" packages.
    I bet many Unity users would appreciate it if the team was not using this "all catch cop out" to put less effort in ensuring an excellent product. Not good for the brand.

So yeah, it reportedly got fixed something else got busted so I can't tell... the way of Unity... there seems to be a miscommunication about our role. We are supposed to spend our time and effort developing stuff with Unity, not spend our time waiting for Unity fixes and put our efforts chasing our tail due to Unity bugs... we don't get paid for missing deadlines. In fact in some cases there are penalties.

13. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

Did you report that it was still affecting you? Do you have a case id?

14. bthanse

bthanse

Trying Jobs, Burst, but got this errors when I try to build: upload_2020-4-25_18-27-13.png

15. tim_jones

tim_jones

Unity Technologies

@bthanse please could you report this via Help > Report a Bug, and let me know the case number here so I can follow it up?