Search Unity

Burn Game to Disc and Play on PS4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheZiggy, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheZiggy

TheZiggy

If I were to make a game in Unity for PS4, how would I go about playing it on the PS4?

Would I just burn it to a disc and put it into the PS4?

(*Note: This game is just for personal entertainment and I am not distributing it.)

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I would think you'd need a PS4 license and I'm sure it would be a project transfer to the PS4 instead of using discs.
    (But of course I could be wrong) as Ive never done consoles before, would be nice, but I know you gotta have the license to even make it work on PS4.

3. TheZiggy

TheZiggy

Oh, so it doesn't work if you don't have the license? There's some kind of protection or something?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It doesn't work, period. You need a dev kit. Contact your local Sony rep :)

angrypenguin and Ony like this.
  5. N1warhead

N1warhead

But does it work with discs or does it do like a project transfer to the PS4?
    Or does it have to be uploaded to the PS4 store or whatever you can test it from there?

I'm just curious that's all, because for testing I think Rewritable Layered DVD Discs would be easier
    that way you don't mistakenly upload it to the store as a finished product lol.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When you become a Sony developer, it's like joining fight club. You can't talk about it :)

LadyAth, elmar1028, dogzerx2 and 13 others like this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hahahahahaaha, I freaking love that movie yo!

iamthwee likes this.
  8. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Yes, there is protection and you need a special license from Sony

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I don't believe this is a totally a jest. There will be non disclosures involved.

As stated before, you need to talk to Sony.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. kaiyum

kaiyum

Almost all consoles have built-in hardware/software security system. On the hardware part:
    1. In processor, there can be fuses to prevent unauthorized software(os/driver/firmware) execution. E.G. If you try to update your dvd drive firmware to an unauthorized version, cpu will melt.
    2. There can be dedicated processor just to encrypt/decrypt executable/data memory. E.G. A linux elf will not run as it is unsigned.
    etc etc etc.
    On software part:
    1. There could be several boot level security. E.G. On a sample console named "gtxpro360", meta info will load level one, level one os program will load level two, lv2 will load lv3, lv3 will do gameos. With each level, encrypted/decrypted with hardware/softwared key-combination

2. Fixed ROM system configuration will flag console unknown, if hardware modified, to online server.
    3. OS will only load signed executable of games.
    etc etc. So no, even if you have runtime unity of consoles(which is impossible too), your softwares need to be authorized by console vendor before it can shed light on retail consoles.

Long story short: You need to be registered and licensed to develop. Then console vendor will provide you necessary tools as of I know. Its kinda serious business thing, hobby homebrew thing does not work, sorry.

MV10 and Kiwasi like this.
  11. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, you need to talk to Sony about a dev license.

What you can do to develop a game in the meantime is connect the PlayStation (or Xbox) game controller to your PC, and then test using your PC. You can even connect your PC to your TV using HDMI, if you need to play test on your TV screen. That will give you an environment similar testing on the console without waiting for a dev license.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It should be noted that for all intents and purposes you can just develop the game without testing on a console, even use a PS4 pad. Unity's good like that. The only thing you will need to bear in mind is performance and for that you will need to get a dev kit and fix it up near the end (if necessary).

angrypenguin likes this.
  13. MV10

MV10

In other words, barriers to getting anything on a console is like dealing with...

1.jpg

dogzerx2 likes this.
  14. Samuel411

Samuel411

Took a year to come up with that note? ;)

orchard800, dogzerx2 and MV10 like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Holy heck. I'll lock this. I've no idea why it turned up on my feed and I assumed it recent! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.