Search Unity

Official Burn-disappear effect

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by axandreo, Oct 31, 2020.

1. axandreo

axandreo

Good afternoon, I'm interested in picking up this shader effect in Effects & Particles

The Card Reads:

A shader effect that allows to make an object disappear as if it quickly consumed by fire. To use it on bamboo canes and other objects that can be burned by the Phoenix Chick.

Not to be added to the plain shader graph (Toon): needs to be a different graph. Use Subgraphs to make sure it can be added "in addition" to the normal toon shading.

In addition to the shader, it could have some ash particles flying away (they don't need to match the shape of the object, could be a capsule emitter or box)

I'm new to creating shaders in Unity but I found these helpful resources which I thought might help me:
    1. Brackey's Dissolve tutorial:
    2. Harry Alisavakis Dissolve Shader: https://halisavakis.com/my-take-on-shaders-dissolve-shader/
    3. Brackey's Shader Graph Tutorial:

4. Unity's Shader Graph tutorial: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/introduction-to-shader-graph#
    If I am assigned this card, I have a few questions:
    • What other resources are available that you think would be helpful?
    • What tips do ya'll have for implementing this?
    • Could you explain this line further? Use Subgraphs to make sure it can be added "in addition" to the normal toon shading.
    • Where in the project do we keep shaders?
    • Recommendations on file structure and naming?

2. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I think you should go ahead and start your work, and then commit and open pull request.

In a shaders directory?

and i have also learned from the two above brackeys tutorial.

3. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hi @biggums, if you want please go ahead and try to come up with an implementation. As with all art tasks, just keep in mind that we're trying to keep it coherent and of a certain quality.

For instance, one beginning suggestion is: keep in mind the art style of this game. Some of the tutorial material you linked is going for a different effect. But maybe the first one from Brackeys is stylised enough. Just remember to make it fire, not electrical/holographic as these ones. For instance, I personally imagine it as burning from top to bottom (this can also be added later, though, and I can help with that if you send a nice enough base effect).

We don't "assign" cards exclusively.

Yes. Basically the idea is this: we already have the plain Toon shader, right?
    We need this effect (and others) to be added as extra options to the existing toon, so that if we modify the toon shading later, all of these "add-on" Shader graphs will update automatically.

The way I imagine it is by encapsulating the Toon shader of today into a Subgraph, so we can use it in the "add-on" Shader graphs as we need, creating all sorts of effects.

I made a graph to show what I mean:

upload_2020-11-1_10-53-15.png

Is it more clear?

You should do this work on the branch "art-assets", that's where the Toon shader is.

Not for now, I more want to see the effect. We can change the naming later.

Finally, if you want quick suggestions along the way, feel free to post screenshots, gifs and videos to this thread instead of just opening a PR (I'd have to pull it locally to see the effect, which takes time).

4. recklol

recklol

Hey folks!

Not sure if anyone started working on this but if not, I'll give it a try!
    Here is what I got currently:

• Separated the existing graph to a toon subgraph.
    • Made another subgraph with the dissolve logic.
    • Added some particles to support the VFX.
    • Made a new input ("T" for testing).
    • Made a script to tie it together.

5. axandreo

axandreo

@recklol that looks awesome! Way better than what I had going =) @CiroContns ok that's very good information, I didn't even realize there were other branches, I was very lost when I couldn't find the toon shader.

6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yes, sorry for that. You know what, I'll add it to the readme!
    (would you have found it, if so?)

7. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio