Search Unity

Bullseye implementation

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Hagen, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Hagen

Hagen

I would like to hear your opinion on what is the more effective solution to implementing a bullseye for a shooter.
    I have a couple of ideas, but would like to learn of others experience implementing a solution. The specific escenario is a 3rd person flying shooter.

Regards

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

What sort of ideas do you have? Why not share with us rather than us retreading ideas you already have.

A forum is a give and take... give us something, we'll join the conversation.

Also... define bullseye more specifically. Do you mean like a dart board? Or do you mean a target? But these are just 'things'... art them up, done.

This is the "coding/scripting" section, what do you want code wise in relation to a bullseye? Like are you asking how to give a player the ability to shoot a bullseye? Determine IF a player has shot a bullseye?

What are you asking for?

3. Hagen

Hagen

I believe the original post was explicit, as I'm looking for known the specific implementations for a bullseye in a 3rd person flying shooter, but if helps additional details, I'm interested in the technique to move the bullseye in 3D space for long and short distance objects having a constant size for the bullseye image, so the crosshairs is not necessarily at the center of the screen; and I do not want to skew the responses with my opinions as I have not tried to code it myself yet.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. lordofduct

lordofduct

you still have not explained WHAT a bullseye is in your context.

You now mention a 'crosshair'... did you mean crosshair, and not bullseye?

It seems English may be your second language. I'm afraid your request may not be coming across clearly.

Also...

Sorry mate, but that's not how forums work.

Skew the responses?

By not giving any details, as well as not sharing your own opinions, is how you get people to NOT post.

So... yeah... you've skewed the responses to basically ZERO.

5. radicalEd

radicalEd

Nobody knows what you want, and nobody is going to code your stuff for you.

Assuming if by bullseye you mean crosshairs, do not have crosshairs move separately from the view port, it will be nauseating. Do what -every- other shooter does and just draw an X in the middle of your screen.

6. Hagen

Hagen

lordofduct, Zero response is perfectly OK, what is not acceptable is to have zero value added responses from people like yourself that believe they are the center of the world and pretend to apply such a shortsighted criteria to blast my interest for learning.

lordofduct likes this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Neither your original post nor your subsequent posts have any actual value either. That isn't the reason behind a lack of suggestions though. You're not receiving suggestions because we don't have any actual details about the game. One suggestion may work great for one game but be completely useless in another.

We need more information or it's a complete waste of time on our part.

passerbycmc and lordofduct like this.
  8. lordofduct

lordofduct

No, no, no... we're supposed to surmise ALL possible scenarios in which a "bullseye" is used...

That is, whatever a "bullseye" even is!

So we must cover all permutations... so that Hagen can learn!

You know, so he doesn't muddy the waters with his specific use case. Wouldn't want to make this easy on us.

9. radicalEd

radicalEd

Kind of like you, who believe you are the center of the world, and want your code written for you?

Take criticism better, the us telling you that we -simply need more information- to help you IS helping. Define your problem more precisely, for both us AND yourself. Don't get short with people who are helping you (and have no obligation to do so) because they don't do it the way you want.

10. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

I think I know where these will lead to...:rolleyes:

But anyway...
    You have a couple of options, there may be more but I'll just write 2 atm:
    1. Move the cross hair to where the bullet will hit(is this what you mean with 'bullseye'?), by using raycast or something...
    2. Forward raycast from camera and turn player direction to where ever the cast hits...
    I usually go with number 2...

lordofduct likes this.