Search Unity

Feedback Builtin monospaced font

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Xarbrough, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Quite a few times in the past I've wished Unity came with a good-looking monospaced font in the editor for use in custom editor tools. The new Inter font looks good and has very similar glyph widths, however, I have multiple tools where it would make things cleaner-looking and easier to build using a monospaced font.

For example, when showing a progress display such as "Step 2/5". With Inter, the numbers will slightly jump right left and the slash will move around, which looks unclean. To fix this, I have to use three different labels and special settings, but with a monospaced font, I could simply use the font for the numbers and slash. Importing my own font works, of course, but then I have to package it with my tools and those custom fonts usually don't match with Unity's builtin, so I'd love for Unity to pick a monospaced version that fits Inter. The same goes for any number label with padded zeros, e.g. "0001", table fields, statistics, or GUIs showing different metrics. I often wished these numbers would be perfectly aligned. So I guess it would be enough to use only monospace numbers.

I know this might request may target a small audience, but maybe there's an easy way to add a monospaced font or simply add a setting to the font rendering engine that allows me to force numbers to have the same glyph width. This may already be good-looking enough.

Thank you for considering!