Search Unity

Built-in vs URP for an openworld on high-end mobile devices

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Jihaysse, May 30, 2021.

1. Jihaysse

Jihaysse

Hello everyone,

I tried looking for an answer about the holy debate between URP vs Built-in performance, but answers and videos aren't that informative.

That's why I'm turning to you all, if someone has developed a 3D huge terrain in URP and/or built-in for mobile devices and/or console and/or low-end PC, what was your experience using these two?

From what I've read:
    - URP has some issues and isn't that "production ready"
    - Built-in is better especially if you use the Amplify Shader Editor
    - URP has more or less the same performance as Built-in, except on Android devices where Built-in has way more performances than URP
    - Tests have usually been made in some tiny scenes, usually low poly, so I don't know if built-in is still better than URP for larger worlds (as URP is supposed to be scalable).

So, it looks like I should use built-in but still, as Unity is marketing URP as the most performant renderer pipeline, especially for low-end devices such as mobiles or consoles, I still want to hear about some of your advices.

Thank you for your time!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The best way to find out is when you create a prototype of the world/content you want to render in your final game. Then test URP and BiRP on each target platform to see what works best. There is no definitive answer to your question, it depends on too many factors, ergo you should test it.

3. Jihaysse

Jihaysse

Thank you for your answer. I will have a try as after seeing some videos, it looks like it’s pretty fast to convert to URP. I thought it would take me a few days haha.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's the problem, a lot of what you read is by complete vocal amateurs. It's best you just try them yourself. If you're not the type to optimise well, then URP will scale better on the CPU.

AcidArrow likes this.