Search Unity

Question Built in Render Pipeline Global Illumination

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Guedez, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Guedez

Guedez

upload_2023-4-20_16-22-13.png
    I am having this weird issue with the global illumination. Windows are not being considered a 'light source' and there is this weird source of light in the ceiling, not to mention everything is completely black despite having ambient lights turned on. What causes it, what should I check for? There are a billion configurations that I don't know what they do and any time I google I only ever find guides on how to bake lighting in HDRP.
    Clarification of my objective: I want that great light bounce effect on windows/doors when my sun moves, everything else is optional. If I could just get that and the rest of the dark areas were 'barely dark at all' it would be great.

2. Guedez

Guedez

It was the auto generated lightmap UVs optimization configurations, it was combining lightmap bridges it should've not.
    The issue is that 90% of my lightmap is being used with tiny stair steps faces while the big atrium floor is being squeezed into a tiny 10x10 square. so the windows are never a 'light source'.

3. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

You can control the lightmap layout somewhat by adjusting the scale in lightmap for individual renderers, such as the atrium floor
    upload_2023-4-25_14-8-21.png

If you want to force renderers onto separate lightmaps, you can do it by assigning them different lightmap parameters with different bake tags
    upload_2023-4-25_14-8-59.png
    upload_2023-4-25_14-9-26.png

Of course, if the whole building is one single renderer, this won't really help you. That isn't clear to me from the images you've posted. Posting this mostly in case it helps people reading this thread in the future.

Attached Files:

4. Guedez

Guedez

Yeah, it's a whole building in the same renderer. Makes me wonder how big studios solve these kinds of issues. Do they have the important stuff in an renderer and the countless tiny stair faces in another? This sounds too strange to be how it's done.

5. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

In cases like these you should author your own lightmap UVs using a DCC tool. Then you can make the stairs as big in UV-space as they need to be https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightingGiUvs-GeneratingLightmappingUVs.html#providing-own-uvs

Guedez likes this.