Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Built-in editor log viewer and default per project editor log

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Kichang-Kim, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Hi. I have a feedback about the log (Editor.log) of Unity editor.

1. Built-in log viewer.
    In my case, I always run "tail -F [unity log path]" command before starting my work. If Unity provides built-in log viewer window, it will be very helpful. Most common example is Blender's interface. If you execute Blender in windows, it shows two window, one is main Editor window and other is console log window. So you can see what happened in the background easily.

2. Per project log
    Although this can be achieved by running Unity with command line options, but If you use Unity Hub, you can't. And if you work with multiple Unity instance (and multiple projects), default Editor.log easily be mess. Changing default log options for Unity hub (ex, YourProject/Library/Logs/Editor.log) makes many developer happy I think.

2. rarepop99

rarepop99

Unity Technologies

Hey, about the first feedback point and your example with Blender.

Would you like to be able to "stream" the logs somewhere where it would be viewable at any time, regardless of the Editor's state (busy doing things on the main thread)? I am trying to get an understanding of the use-cases and how would it be used. Would it be, as in the example, a separate process running outside of the Editor or as part of the Editor itself?

3. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Yes, it should be viewable regardless of the editor's state. The main purpose is that knowing what happened in the background, especially for debugging. Unity's Editor UI doesn't provide sufficient information for that. In example, you can find what asset makes importing time be long or can know current asset cache server state, and so on.

Editor.log provides so many useful information and seeing it as realtime is very good practice for Unity game development.

FerdowsurAsif and rarepop99 like this.
  4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I like both of these ideas as well!

The log viewer is somewhat more optional, since you can simply open the log in a text editor or log viewing program like the Mac console app. These programs usually have good searching and streaming of large files builtin, etc.

However, the default location of the editor log also confuses me. What even happens if I open two projects with the same editor version? Does only the first log get written and the second ignored? Or will the second overwrite the first log? Or will both constantly fight against each other? We wouldn't even have to think about this question if each project had it's own editor log by default (via the hub).

rarepop99 likes this.