Search Unity

Built-in Data and Local Assets duplicated ?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ttermeer-reboundcg, Nov 29, 2019.

1. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

I am trying to understand how the packing of addressables works.
    Are the built-in data shown in the group window also packed into the asset bundle by default ?
    If not, if some are shared with local groups, they get duplicated ?

We are in the process of moving to addressables but since switching our game has increased in 20 Mb in size. This is huge problem for mobile. Our APK now exceeds the 100Mb limit. The only things that I see right now that some Atlas and Prefabs may be shared between prefabs in addressables and scenes included in the build.

2. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

Bump.

If anyone has any clue how this works.

3. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

What version are you on?

And if you suspect that you're getting duplicated data in your built asset bundles and your player build there should be an Analyze tool specifically to check your built in scenes and their dependencies vs. your Addressables asset bundle layout and its dependencies.

4. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

I am on 1.4.0.

We only use a single group right now so there is no dependencies.
    The architecture is as follow :
    - a few scene included in the build
    - prefabs added to the default local group.

My understanding is that prefab and atlas referenced by both scenes in the build and prefabs in addressable are included in the built-in data and also inside the asset bundle. Am I correct ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  5. CameronND

CameronND

I am experiencing the same thing.

I think the problem is due to that we can't explicitly put assets into the 'built in data' group unless they are in the resources folder, however scenes can still pull them in if they have dependencies on them.
    This then means if we have other addressable groups which have dependencies on the same assets as a scene from the 'built in data' group we now have those assets duplicated into a seperate bundle.

I would expect that the system should be smart enough to realize that the assets are already in the 'built in data' bundle and so to ignore them but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It would be a nice to manually put some assets into the 'built in data' group without having to put it in Resources folder.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    ttermeer-reboundcg likes this.