Search Unity

BuildSettings: "requires persistent wifi" - does it annoy the players?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by schwertfisch, Feb 6, 2018.

1. schwertfisch

schwertfisch

We have published a free (with ads) and a paid (ads-free) version of the same family game. It has a parental gate and the ads show every second time the game is played.

From my experience, when my 4 year old plays a game on the tablet, disabling the wifi allows the game to play without ads. It's good for me (the player in this case) but surely not what the developer intended.

Is the persistent wifi requirement setting a good solution to this unwanted practice or you think that it will annoy the players?

Does anyone have experience on this?

2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

I guess best answer/recommendation here is https://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/04/15/a-designers-guide-to-using-video-ads

Sounds like you are showing only non-rewarded ads, i.e. the user doesn't necessarily get any value from watching the ad, and as you say can just go offline to skip ads completely. Those ads are likely not converting well, i.e. not providing much revenue. But yes, technically we need internet access to download the ads.

Read the article, hopefully it will give you some ideas on best practices for integrating ads into a game.

/Rasmus

3. schwertfisch

schwertfisch

This article is great, thanks.
    I understand that there is no one-solution-fits-all on this subject.
    Finding the point of "least resistance where players have already decided on a change of pace" depends on the gameplay.
    In all, I think it's a bit of a rare skill to be able to get in the shoes of the player and feel how they would feel towards your ads occurrence and arrange it in a way that doesn't make them feel annoyed.