Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Builds generating console logs tens of thousands of lines long

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by catfink, Oct 7, 2019.

1. catfink

catfink

When doing a build the IDE generates an informational message every single time it allocates a bit of storage. Our project is over 100GB in size, building it leads to tens of thousands of messages in the console which usually end up crashing the IDE when the build finishes.
    Can these be turned off or removed as trying to work out what build errors you got from an IDE that's on it's knees due to the console being totally spammed is somewhat frustrating.
    I know it's in preview but for those of us using it to support real customers because we have no choice (can't build projects that use burst on another platform) it is very very frustrating.

2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Unity Technologies

Can you send me your Editor.log file at ~/.config/unity3d?

3. catfink

catfink

The log file is 65.8gb in size after doing our build, I may have some problems sending that. I imagine that also gives you some idea of the scale of this problem ;-)

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do you know what kind of messages are mostly logged to it?

5. catfink

catfink

They were mainly info messages about allocating some storage. Interestingly for the first time ever the build I did last night did not generate all the info messages - which is somewhat unfortunate as I now don't have the 65gb log file to look at and cut paste messages from for you to see. The additional result of this was the build didn't take 24 hours and was done within two hours.
    I will later today try doing some more builds and see if I can get it to happen again as nothing has changed for it to just suddenly start working, so I'm expecting it will probably come back again for no explainable reason.