Search Unity

BuildR 2.0 - Create buildings within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jasperstocker, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Using BuildR2 on Unity Unity 2018.4.0f1.
    I've only just quickly checked asset out as I'm new and am aware as mentioned of upcoming BuildR3. I found if I created Elevator shaft or similar there seemed to be no way to either delete this or step back a level (undo). Is there a way to delete these and if not will BuildR3 provide this feature. I ended up wiping the building to start afresh but this would frustrate me if I was near completion of building.

2. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi Morpheus,
    I does look like the button to remove is missing. If you have the space selected, pressing backspace on the keyboard will delete it (with a confirmation prompt)
    The UI/UX is going through a complete overhaul at the moment so it will improve in version 3

MorpheusXI, C_p_H and hopeful like this.
  3. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I'm looking for an Asset that can help procedurally build Residential Houses with interiors, assuming that we have modular house assets. Houses are much harder to make than office buildings but I think it can add much more value to your assets.
    Please let me know if you plan to add the support.
    Thanks.

BTW, I don't see your office building has stairs. It will not be fun to enter a building but you are stuck on the first floor.

4. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Update!
    Hi everyone, I'm still working on the Beta and I'm almost finished. Aiming for the end of the week to have a release candidate ready though I'm still running into large bugs in my own testing.
    I'll update here and will be creating a new thread for the Beta release when ready.

@chrisk houses and interiors are supported though maybe you have specifics that you want to talk about? And yes there are stairs as it wouldn't be fun not being able to get to the higher floors without a jetpack! :D
    Version 3 beta is imminent! :D

MorpheusXI likes this.
  5. chrisk

chrisk

Wow! that's really awesome.
    I'm looking for suburban residential houses, for example, https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/111089
    I suppose it's a new feature in BuildR 3? or does already support it?

If you search for "Modular House" on the Asset Store, you can see many assets. They come with an example, but what I'm looking for is to build procedural houses using one of those assets as bases. I would appreciate it if you recommend some assets that can work well with BuildR.

Thanks.

6. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Ah yeah. So in version 3 very soon, you'll be able to use modular wall elements. It's something that the generation scripts have been written in mind for, but I've not tested yet.
    Roofs are far more complicated however as BuildR supports buildings with any angle.
    I currently do not support modular stairs - but that's something I'd be open to implementing down the line.

7. chrisk

chrisk

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to V3. I would appreciate it if you can show an example of houses when it becomes available. Cheers!

8. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Heads up all, the BuildR version 3 beta will be dropping on Sunday evening GMT. :D

MorpheusXI and hopeful like this.
  9. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Urgh - thought I was all ready to go and just a couple of simple things to do but I've hit a technical problem that means I can't get this ready tonight. Should be able to get this ready by tomorrow evening.
    Thanks for your patience...

hopeful likes this.
  10. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

hopeful likes this.
  11. serenity81

serenity81

Can BuildR be used as an in game building generator for end users (in play mode) not just inside unity editor. Maybe using GUI or C# coding?

12. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

It could...
    The editor for BuildR is all editor code though so a new UI/UX would need to be created for runtime editing.
    The editor and runtime both use the same code to generate buildings so very possible.
    I currently have no plans to create a runtime editor - but maybe one day :D

13. dreb4o

dreb4o

discord link does not work
    or no server

14. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Whaaat!
    Okay, thanks for the heads up dreb4o - I'll update those links today

15. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Hi , two questions

Does BuildR allow for importing real city data , and does it procedurally generate full cities. It’s for a racing game

16. xarshi

xarshi

BuildR itself does not seem to have this. Real World Terrain is able to import data from OpenStreetMaps and is supposedly compatible with BuildR and can generate floorplans from the way elements. The format isn't too complex so you could probably code it yourself if you are handy with c#.

Seems like things are quiet around here, but I'll give it a shot. I'm having trouble with the demo of this asset, and it is blocking me from actually purchasing it as its the primary reason I wanted to in the first place. In the demo, I'm unable to create any interior. Clicking 'Create New Room' does nothing, and I can't draw any rooms in the editor. Is this just a demo limitation or is this a bug?

17. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hey! That sounds like a bug. I'll take a look and see what is up. What version of Unity are you in?

18. xarshi

xarshi

Ah, should've put that in, sorry. I'm on the most recent non-beta version I believe, so I'm not exactly surprised; specifically I'm on version 2020.1.3f1. I would downgrade but I'm trying to use the xr management system in 2020. I appreciate you looking into it, very interested in making use of this.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    JamesClow and jasperstocker like this.
  19. xarshi

xarshi

Hmm, I'm actually not sure if I'm running into a bug, I tried the demo on 2019.4.9f1 and have the same issue; I think I just don't understand how to use the interiors. I went through the tutorials on your website, but I'm still not entirely sure on how to create an interior. I have a building created, have enabled interiors, have a floor selected, and have the room editor selected in the "Add Rooms" mode. From here, how do I continue? I can't figure out how to actually draw rooms. Hitting 'Create New Room' has no discernable effect. Am I missing a step here that I'm not realizing?

20. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hmm, you should be able to just click on the building interior and drop new wall points...

21. xarshi

xarshi

Seems like at the very least the demo is bugged then in 2019.4.9f1 and 2020.1.3f1 (it sounds like there were breaking changes to the unity editor made in 2019.3+), I have tried clicking the points and floor plan etc after switching to the room editor and nothing seems to happen. You provide the source with the full version, correct? If so, I may just want to try modifying it to procedurally generate interiors for buildings at least single room floors

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  22. xarshi

xarshi

Ok I tried a new project and imported it and things seem to be working now. Not really sure what was going on before, but the highlight effect around vertices wasn't present for me initially. Able to add interiors now without issue it would seem!

23. Fincantieri

Fincantieri

Hi @jasperstocker,
    I am using BuildR3 on Unity 18.4.27 with Real World Terrain. This generates a lot of buildings on my terrain. However, I can't find options that allow me to batch modify all buildings before generating them.
    Example: I don't want any building to have the interiors, or any building to have the mesh collider or physical part script.
    Is there a section where I can change these settings so that I don't have to go and edit each building by hand?
    Thanks

jasperstocker likes this.
  24. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hey @Fincantieri, I'll check out what options there are in Real World Terrain... if there are none there I'll look into getting something working

25. Fincantieri

Fincantieri

Great! Real World Terrain allows you to specify the height of unknown buildings in the OSM database but has no control over your asset. If you could create settings at a level prior to create the buildings, maybe right in the real world terrain menu it would be great!
    Example: Interiors, Prefabs, Generate Underside, Collapse to single mesh check.
    This is an example image

Attached Files:

26. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi,
    BuilR looks great, and I'm currently trying the demo.
    I'm having a small problem: textures won't apply on roofs, which stay black.

upload_2020-10-30_15-22-21.png

Am I missing something? I'm using Unity 2020.1.9f1.

I would also like to know if, given a list of 2D points forming a closed polyline, I can create the corresponding extruded builder building with roof and textures throught the API.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  27. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

28. unixuanf

unixuanf

Hello,

I just purchased this asset but met a compile error after importing, as below:

Assets\BuildRCities\Scripts\Editor\Utils\ReadmeEditor.cs(39,45): error CS1061: 'Readme' does not contain a definition for 'content' and no accessible extension method 'content' accepting a first argument of type 'Readme' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I'm not sure how to fix that and since it prevents me from doing many other things in the scene, I deleted the imported folder.

Anyone has any idea on this? I'm using Unity 2019.4.15f1c1, BuildR should be the latest from asset store.
    Thanks.

(error screenshot)
    BuildRCities error after impor.jpg

29. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi - not sure why that's causing an error but you can just delete that script and it shouldn't be a problem. It's just a utility in the editor that I rarely use.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be looking into this for the next patch.

30. unixuanf

unixuanf

Thank you. I get it working now and have tried for some days. It's generally good, but wonder if any quick way to create dynamic textures or dynamic models in batch (i.e. create multiple of them in one go)?

Currently it looks like only available way to create one by one via the menu options and manually setup in the inspector. Say, if I have 50+ models I would like to put into the tool as dynamic models and I put them all in one specific folder, is it able to select the folder as a whole and the tool would create all dynamic models there for those all in the folder accordingly? same to textures.

Thanks.

jasperstocker likes this.
  31. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

This would be good to add. There are menu options for right clicking textures and materials to convert them to Dynamic Texture... I can't remember off the top of my head if these work for multiple files... but would be good to add this for multiple files and additionally support models!

32. cybercom_ahmedassal

cybercom_ahmedassal

@jasperstocker @unixuanf the reference is ambiguous. Rider resolves it to unity Readme class which does not have a content field.

33. cybercom_ahmedassal

cybercom_ahmedassal

Hello, I am runing Unity 2020.2.1f1 and it is giving me this error: Assets\BuildRCities\Scripts\Editor\Utils\Importer.cs(34,17): error CS0619: 'ModelImporter.importMaterials' is obsolete: 'importMaterials has been removed. Use materialImportMode instead.'

34. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Is Buildr3 going to be released anytime soon?

35. mhakanalim

mhakanalim

Hi, I'm trying to use Buildr3 with Real World Terrain. My final build size is around 4GB's data but it uses 76GB of Ram in runtime. Is there any step before building project? I'm just creating buildings with RWT and building project.

36. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

76GB of Ram? What is your machine specs? Also interested to see shots of the level!

37. mhakanalim

mhakanalim

Ryzen 5 3600 / 64GB DDR4 2666 / 1TB PCI3.0 SSD (using as ram) / RTX 3060 12GB

I shouldn't post a picture of project (~80km²) but Unity's built in engine allows me much more building (~100x) than BuildR3. I assume BuildR doesn't use common source for similar buildings with same textures and facades. I think it creates all individually in runtime.

38. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

Where are the new Tutorials that one from 2017 is to out dated UI wise

MorpheusXI likes this.
  39. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

40. Mark_01

Mark_01

41. Mark_01

Mark_01

OPPPS last post was in 2021 .. :eek::D

42. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I too dont see this in the store. I moved on to CScape, different and HORRIBLE (if any) documentation (as what comes with the asset *I* wrote, and I am not the dev for it)

But it's quite capable, I use it for a VR race game, a city that is 8700x6700 and nearly 15,000 buildings and I can still get 90 frames per second (PCR, NOT! native to portable devices like Quest)

Best of luck

Mark_01 likes this.