Search Unity

BuildR 2.0 - Create buildings within Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jasperstocker, Apr 11, 2017.

1. lundon

lundon

So is Buildr2 back to the top of your priority list? When will we get some more tutorials?

2. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I'm currently working on the next update - should be today or tomorrow depending on variables.
    Tutorials - let me know what you want and I'll prioritise adding content - I know I'm rubbish at it and I'm sorry. :(

3. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

New release is out.
    Fixed some bugs - check the log
    Added options of window/door so you can have shutters/balconies/interactive doors/prefabs

docsavage and lundon like this.
  4. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Next release is imminent. Runtime generation has been vastly improved. The current example in Genesis was spewing between 100-300mb garbage and taking up to a second to generate.
    I've got that down to around 5mb and ~50ms
    I've also added Bay windows
    I'm just in a bug fixing and cleanup stage.

docsavage and hopeful like this.
  5. frankslater

frankslater

It looks awesome. Would be nice to see in the video what the user is actually doing to get those result (or just add another video which shows a bit of that as well). It seems to be easy and intuitive, but I think it's in the back of the head of the viewer "Am I just seeing some nicely edited showcase, or is this actually happening in real time?"

6. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

2.12 Inbound

https://giphy.com/gifs/buildr-medieval-city-xT0xeh8OtHizSEMl6U/fullscreen

Added Bay window generation
    Added Button to create room from floorplan footprint
    Added bounds visualisation on custom models
    Added/Refactored generation code - new quicker runtime workflow added
    Reduced generation time and garbase generation
    Added Carcassone city generation prototype
    Fixed issue with creating Facades generating a benign error message
    Fixed issue with creating BuildR assets in the right place with context menu
    Fixed issue with roof overhang not generating correctly
    Fixed issue with untiled textures being applied to buildings
    Fixed issue with unassigned/assigned sill and ceiling textures in wall sections messing up texture allocation
    Refactored all external libraries into the BuildR2 space to reduce conflict in external projects
    Mansard roof generation fails more gracefully

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    docsavage and hopeful like this.
  7. shredingskin

shredingskin

In 2.13 I'm having these errors
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/Carcassonne.cs(37,23): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/Carcassonne.cs(37,40): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/Carcassonne.cs(43,23): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/Carcassonne.cs(303,30): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/CarcassonneQuarter.cs(10,17): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/CarcassonneQuarter.cs(16,12): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/CarcassonneQuarter.cs(33,17): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'
    Assets/BuildR2/Examples/Scripts/Carcassonne/CarcassonneRoadNetworkPoint.cs(10,12): error CS0104: `Vector2Int' is an ambiguous reference between `UnityEngine.Vector2Int' and `BuildR2.Vector2Int'

Unity2017.2

It's only in the examples, so no problem, just to let you know.

8. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Thanks for the report shredingskin(?!), I'll fix that in the next release, I just forgot to keep those examples in the BuildR2 namespace...

9. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Okay - dropped a new update

2.14 30th November 2017
    Added Interactive preview for facades
    Improved Interactive Preview for everything that uses it
    Added Opening Frames to Wall Sections
    Added chimney generator
    Additional work to Carcassonne example
    Added facade library to building so you can drag and drop in Building editor without the project library
    Fixed issue with complex quick polyoffset not calculating correct offsets
    Fixed slow project browser due to icon generation, indexing and loading.
    Fixed conflict in Carcassonne example between UnityEngine.Vector2Int and BuildR2.Vector2Int
    Fixed gap at the top of Wall Section bays
    Fixed Wallsection preview size for relative designs
    Fixed submesh allocation and I hope I've put that to bed now!
    Fixed how grid snapping works for interior generation so it takes into account wall anchors

lundon likes this.
  10. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

And here is the latest on the Carcassonne example.

docsavage likes this.
  11. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

New release - just bug fixing and tidying up

2.15 14th December 2017
    Fixed Dormer window generation
    Fixed issue with buildings losing volume and floorplan linkages
    Fixed issue with interior walls not generating correctly

docsavage likes this.
  12. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

2018 Roadmap
    So I decided to make my TODO list for BuildR for next year and then thought it might make sense to publish it for you all to see. There are no timescales for these - but I've giving over power to you people so you can signal boost things you want and obviously add thing to it if there are other things to you want to see in BuildR next year.

Roof Improvements
    Add ridge geom
    Add facia board / verges
    Add chimney placemenbt
    Re-add Gambriel
    Add Spire
    Add Lean-to
    Add Saw Tooth (initial 4 point version)
    Add dormer generation to other roof types

Wall Section Improvements
    Add model mode - replace all geom
    Add model placement ad-hoc
    Add keystone placement
    Add balcony inset mode
    Add underside mode for bay windows
    Right click a wall section to create a facade design
    Add lintel to arched openings

Facade Design Improvements
    Add model placement ad-hoc

Carcassonne
    Texture roads
    Add more geom for roads - curbs, gutter
    Add square features - wells, monuments, markets
    Create basic LOD/Level loader
    Work on a slimline - low res low detail mode
    Generate high detail for close to subject
    Subject is just a script - could be attached to a camera

Genesis
    Interior generation
    OBB subdivision
    Path finding and door placement
    100% Generation mode - define texutres and that's it

Surfaces
    Make sure the surface creation shortcuts only work with textures/materials
    Work on a shader for giving an interior box room
    Horzontal pattern lines for aligning brickwork with wall sections/openings

Export
    Option to combine exported mesh into single mesh - miught need to consider using Raw Mesh Data so 65+ not an issue

Add mesh data output into settings. Submeshes, triangles, verticies etc data visible in inspector

13. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

14. HEATH3N

HEATH3N

So can we only create buildings through the editor? There's no documentation regarding runtime creation.

15. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi Heath3n,
    I'm currently updating all the documentation and there is a dearth of online docs for runtime generation. There are a few examples provided in the BuildR2 asset.
    It's also an ongoing and rapidly expanding option in BuildR. The next item on my list will be procedurally generating interiors, both in editor and runtime.
    Any questions don't hesitate to ask or email.

antoripa likes this.
  16. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Just dropped a new version for 2017.1 that contains a Mapbox integration

antoripa likes this.
  17. maxray

maxray

Hi, Could you add some functionality:
    1. Snap point mode when editing floorplan and room points selection;
    2. Floorplan file and saving;
    3. Roof overhang the gable wall and window in gable;
    4. Ridge of roof;

18. maxray

maxray

And underside materials of overhanging roof

jasperstocker likes this.
  19. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hey Maxray,
    thanks for your feedback.
    1.What kind of mode were you thinking? Currently it snaps to both Unity units and the external volume anchor points.
    2. What would be the case for this? It would be a fair amount of work and I'm not sure it's worth it right now, but maybe I'm missing something :) Would you want to just copy floorplans across floors? Maybe that could be done easily
    3. Yes - I'll make sure these are on the list
    4. On the list - should be around in the near future.
    5. Sure - makes sense.

20. maxray

maxray

Hi Jasper,
    I think the closest point and align and parallel and perpendicular snap mode could be added, it's extremely useful.
    And the floorplan template file can be shared in multiple type of buildings, that's the point of saving.
    That's okay when you should do it, depends on your plan, I'm waiting for new updates always :).
    Amazing product !

21. maxray

maxray

Waiting for your interior generator, I need it recently, thanks a lot.

22. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Cool - while I have your attention - what are you looking for from it? Anything specific before I take the plunge later this week?
    My plan was to make a basic subdivide process to create a number of rooms - then generate a graph to link them so we can place doors and make everything accessible. Then placement of stairs to allow access across floors. Now's the time to bend my plans though! :D

23. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I'm also working on updating all the documentation. I'm working mostly on documenting the current interface and tutorials for various things (two runtime generation articles already up!). I need to document the way Mapity and Mapbox are integrated so far. Any requests for specific things now would be more likely to happen while I'm already in the seventh circle of documentation hell XD

24. maxray

maxray

I have researched some thesis about floorplan generation,
    "A Novel Algorithm for Real-time Procedural Generation of Building Floor Plans", based on Squarified Treemap, the difficult point is to place the corridor area;
    "A CONSTRAINED GROWTH METHOD FOR PROCEDURAL FLOOR PLAN GENERATION", by Ricardo Lopes, I think it's more flexible and smarter than others, you should think about it;
    "Generating Consistent Buildings: A Semantic Approach for Integrating Procedural Techniques", more advanced;
    "Computer-Generated Residential Building Layouts", based on machine learning, the most advanced;
    Maybe you can implement the best of these as a new second plugin, future work, :)

25. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Thanks for the links maxray, they are some really nice papers.
    They mostly deal with perpendicular designs which is something I'd need to augment as BuildR supports all manner of shapes - but I've always been a fan of the final one - buildings the layout based on that simple graph.
    All exciting stuff. For now there will be a simple sub divisional algorithm which we can build on top of (I hope!)

26. maxray

maxray

Good, waiting... :)

27. maxray

maxray

And one more thing, floor ledge outside the wall and wall pillar and concaved balcony, the most important aspect of building appearance.

28. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Could you post some pictures - I'm not entirely sure on the features you're describing...
    First one sounds like the string course (already in)?
    Second I'm not too sure what that means..?
    Third is a simple balcony generator?
    All good feedback! I love hearing, discussing requests and features. (I'm a sucker for more features)

29. maxray

maxray

Wall Pillars could be in middle of wall. example.jpg example.jpg example.jpg Example2.jpg

30. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Ah - yes.
    Wall pillars seem similar to quoins which is a definite must have soon
    Concave balconies would be awesome too! I'll add them to the list.

hopeful likes this.
  31. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I'll create a tutorial about the floor ledges or string course. It's an option in the facade design.

antoripa likes this.
  32. maxray

maxray

So great, hope your product will be a shining star of asset store

33. furkan4156

furkan4156

@maxray What is this program ?

34. maxray

maxray

Building Generator, a plugin of S2 Game Engine on steam

35. maxray

maxray

@jasperstocker When will you release new version with interior generator? :)

36. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

It's still in the works :D

37. lolclol

lolclol

Hi, does your plugin able to generate or create this kind of building ?

Attached Files:

38. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I would have to say yes and no.
    There aren't many pictures of that building I could find but the main structure of the building, inside and out should be easy to create.
    The two things that may be more tricky are;
    1. Supporting columns - there currently isn't a system in place for generating these. It's on my list but not sure when that would be added. Every time a feature is suggested though means I increase it's priority!
    2. Landscaping - I've not considered building a system to deal with landscaping aspects of building design yet and I don't intend to this year certainly as it would be a large system to implement by itself.

Hope that helps.

Jasper

39. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Would anyone cry if I dropped Substance support in the next version?
    Unity are dropping it in 2018.x and I'm not in the mood to have a lot messy classes full of compiler conditions...

40. hopeful

hopeful

I would be using substance, but I would be using an updated Unity too. Not sure how substance is going to work in the future.

41. andonsky

andonsky

Hi Jasper sorry to butt in, but could you take a minute to answer some support questions at the Camera Path 3 forums, or is this asset deprecated?

42. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Jeez! You should email if you really want to get my attention within 24 hours - the forums are not famous for their reliability...

43. lolclol

lolclol

ok thanks for replying mate.

44. andonsky

andonsky

Sorry jasper, I sent an email but never got a response perhaps it ended up in SPAM. Emails are also not famous for their reliability I guess. :)

45. shredingskin

shredingskin

Substances are great, but I think that most people would just export the bitmaps and use the standard shader (specially for buildings not generated at runtime).

46. shredingskin

shredingskin

Using unity 2017.4.1 I'm not able to create any new facade/surface/etc:
    Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'BeginsWithCaseInsensitive(pathName, AssetDatabase::kAssetsPathWithSlash) || BeginsWithCaseInsensitive(pathName, AssetDatabase::kPackagesMountPointWithSlash)'
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:GenerateUniqueAssetPath(String)
    BuildR2.AssetCreator:GeneratePath(String, String) (at Assets/BuildR2/Internal/Scripts/Utils/AssetCreator.cs:30)
    BuildR2.Surface:CreateSurface() (at Assets/BuildR2/Internal/Scripts/Surface.cs:381)
    BuildR2.Surface:MenuCreateNewSurface() (at Assets/BuildR2/Internal/Scripts/Surface.cs:393)
    ------------------------------
    Ignoring asset refresh of AssetsBuildR2 because the file or its directory couldn't be found!
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset(Object, String)
    BuildR2.Surface:CreateSurface() (at Assets/BuildR2/Internal/Scripts/Surface.cs:381)
    BuildR2.Surface:MenuCreateNewSurface() (at Assets/BuildR2/Internal/Scripts/Surface.cs:393)
    Ignoring asset refresh of AssetsBuildR2/Surfaces because the folder it is in has not been imported yet!
    -------------------------------
    -------------------------------
    Ignoring asset refresh of AssetsBuildR2/Surfaces/newSurface 3.asset because the folder it is in has not been imported yet!

47. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Thanks for the error log, I'll check that out and get a fix sorted...

48. maxray

maxray

Questions:
    1. Genesis generated buildings is not full filled in plot with zero shape offset. Why? How to fix it?
    屏幕截图(1).png a.png

49. maxray

maxray

2. Genesis can not generate one building contains multiple volumes like this, could you add this function after?
    屏幕截图(2).png

50. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hey MaxRay,
    I'll take a look into the not filling generation. What's the plot values look like?
    Multiple volumes should be possible by clicking the "Add Base Volume" button in the building constraint editor.