Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Building Pc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ncchieh, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ncchieh

ncchieh

Hi, I considering to build a PC for developing games in unity 3D and will be using adobe premiere for video editing. Beside developing games, I will also using this PC for playing games and maybe streaming games in 1080p 60fps.

The list of software I will be using:
    - unity 3D
    - Adobe Premiere
    - Visual Studio
    - OBS

My other spec will probably be
    - Adata XPG SX6000 PRO 512GB
    - GTX 1660TI / RTX 2060
    - 2x8 GB ddr4 3200MHZ ram (maybe ADATA SPECTRIX D41)
    (for other hardware like case, cooler, power supply will be consider later after I done choosing important parts)

Now my question come, is Intel Core I5 8400 / Intel Core I5 9400F / AMD ryzen 5 2600(x) able to perform all these requirement ? If able, which one will be better choice ?

If all these not able to perform all these requirement, please help me provide some better CPU to perform all these requirement smoothly but for the price don't exceed 300 usd.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You should state your total budged, because it is critical factor.
    Even case, cooler, and power supply shouldn't be taken out of equation.
    It defines, what you can put inside. Also in potential future extension capabilities. Like extra drives, or PCI devices.
    You don't want get cheap on motherboard either.
    Make sure, you build computer to last, if you don't expect replacing it in next 2 years.
    Another factor is, which often is overlooked, is noise, which computer can make (fans for example).

3. ncchieh

ncchieh

My budget will be around 1000 usd.
    I remove the case, cooler and power supply from question is because I want to make sure which type of CPU I will be using then I only can select a suitable motherboard, after I select a motherboard, then I only can choose a power supply and case for my motherboard.
    For future extension, i probably will only upgrade CPU and GPU, for m.2 slot, 1 or 2 is enough for me, and I will add another 1TB HDD which I take from my previous PC, but I hope there will be at least 2 slot for me to put SATA drive.
    I will use the motherboard until the motherboard cannot cannot support Intel I7 8th gen, cause I will be using the selected CPU until my process is out of its control.
    For the noise part, I can accept it as long as not loud like droping a glass.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unless you're in a country where the prices are abnormally high for AMD the Intel i5s are basically the worst CPUs (in terms of dollars to performance) you could purchase. In fact in the United States the i9-9900K is the only processor that is worth considering. If you don't buy that you're buying an AMD Ryzen because everything else is just flat out worse.

My recommendation is an AMD Ryzen 2700X if you feel you can't afford the Ryzen 3700X, but understand that when it comes to professional workloads there is no such thing as having a processor that is too powerful. Unity has tasks (like lightmapping) that it performs that will literally take as much as you can throw at them.

ShilohGames likes this.
  5. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am afraid, i9-9900K maybe beyond OPs Budget. Or would need to cheap on other components.
    Of suggested alternatives, AMD Ryzen 2700X seems more in the requirement pricing brackets.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

In that price range I'd go with a Ryzen 3600, but you should be able to squeeze a 3700X into your $1k budget even though it is just a bit above your $300 CPU price range. Ryzen 3600 is $200.

ShilohGames likes this.
  7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

This is currently very true. If somebody is currently considering an Intel part other than the Intel i9-9900K, then they should buy an AMD instead.

8. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You are likely correct that the i9-9900K is outside the OP's budget. The point Ryiah is making is that the Intel chips are not currently worth considering in most budget constrained builds. The Intel i9-9900K is still worth considering for people who want to build an expensive best possible gaming PC. At any price point below that, Intel is simply not competitive at this time. If somebody wants to spend $100-$300 for a CPU, AMD is currently the obvious choice.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah and Antypodish like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There are very few exceptions to this. The biggest one I can think of from the OP's list of software is If you're going to be doing a lot of Adobe Premiere, an Intel CPU with "QuickSync" and enabling hardware encoding in Premiere can be a significant performance boost for certain tasks compared to CPU's without that feature. If 2/3 of my work on this computer was in Premiere, I'd probably go with Intel for this reason even if I would be getting lower price to performance for most everything else I do.

That said, I'm going to guess that the OP's use of Premiere is not going to be most of the work done on this PC, so I'd go with AMD at this time (specifically Zen 2).

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

What about considering buying better CPU now and some low end GPU, to replace GPU later?

11. ncchieh

ncchieh

I think I will not be using Premiere too frequent, mostly using Unity for 80% of my work on this PC, if AMD able to afford my usage, I will go for AMD instead.
    The reason I asking for Intel CPU is because my teacher say Intel have better optimization on software rather than AMD

12. ncchieh

ncchieh

I think I might increase my budget to about 1200usd for more selection on CPU and GPU

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, there is some truth behind the statement that there are more optimizations for Intel than for AMD, but at the same time an optimization won't make a massive difference in performance and they definitely won't make up for the loss in cores and threads that comes with choosing anything other than the i9-9900K.

Just as an example look at the following benchmarks for rendering. The i9-9700K is one tier below the i9-9900K ($365) yet it's outperformed by the 2700X ($240) but if that isn't impressive enough consider that the 2700 ($185) is only 200 MHz slower stock but can be overclocked to make up that difference. That's almost half the price for higher performance.

By the way if you look at the top of the charts you'll notice that the 3900X is completely destroying the i9-9900K so even if you bought the best affordable Intel CPU you will still lose to AMD in everything other than gaming and weird edge cases like Premier.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/9

https://www.newegg.com/core-i7-9th-gen-intel-core-i7-9700k/p/N82E16819117958
    https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Wraith-Cooler/dp/B07B428M7F/
    https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Wraith-Cooler/dp/B07B41717Z/

Finally if none of this is sufficient information for you to swear off of Intel's i5s check out this benchmark. The i5-9600K (6 core/6 thread) loses to the Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core/12 thread). The Ryzen 5 1600 is half the price of the i5-9600K.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-9600k-processor-review,13.html

https://www.newegg.com/core-i5-9th-gen-intel-core-i5-9600k/p/N82E16819117959
    https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600/p/N82E16819113435

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    AndersMalmgren likes this.
  14. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

But even with Premiere, that Intel specific feature is only a benefit when exporting a video. While editing a video, that Intel specific feature does not help. When I use Premiere, I actually spend a lot more time in the editing stage than in the exporting stage.

15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

The 3900x and 3950x has dual the amount
    L3 cache, I would save up to get either of those. I'm getting the 3950x when it releases in a couple of weeks. Will be fun to see the performance gain when baking light from my 2700x :)

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The 3900X is half his entire budget for the PC though....

angrypenguin and Antypodish like this.
  17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yepp, so wait another month and save up.

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

Did I advised you already, to look a bit further than your own garden? World is much bigger than that ...

angrypenguin likes this.
  19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I'm just saying, in our field double the amount of L3 cache is a huge perfomance gain. I would wait and save up if I cant shell out the difference.

edit: My 2700x runs this bench in 10 seconds flat (warm build), will be interesting to see how the 3950x peformances. https://www.hanselman.com/blog/Buil...C30ThePartsListForMyNewComputerIronHeart.aspx

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Probably nowhere near the gain going from no computer to a computer. Or going from an old one to a new one. ;)

Ryiah and Martin_H like this.