Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Building levels with Maya and Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by kellygravelyn, May 23, 2011.

1. kellygravelyn

kellygravelyn

I have a copy of Maya 2011 that I plan to use to make assets for a game I want to build in Unity. The game is a first person perspective and takes place entirely indoors which means I have to build rooms and hallways and such. So my question is which approach is generally considered "easier" or "best" when it comes to Unity and Maya:

1) Model each of the Unity scenes in Maya, each consisting of multiple rooms and hallways. Then simply put each of these in a scene with the logic.
    2) Model rooms and hallways in Maya, then build each level in Unity from these building blocks.

My main thoughts on this are that #2 would be easier from the Maya perspective, but might be harder to line everything up in Unity. Has anyone used Maya with Unity to build indoor levels and have any advice for this undertaking? Any resources I should read to help me out on this one?

Thanks!

2. larvantholos

larvantholos

Theres no reason you can't do it all in maya, just make sure you set your scale up correctly. I do mine in max, but thats just a program workflow choice, you can create a modular rooms for your fps game, and instance all the secondary geometry, which unity supports for optimization on the fly.

3. makan

makan

Yea you can't do all of the modeling on Maya, you should make your prefabs with maya and place the on unity....

4. kellygravelyn

kellygravelyn

Sounds like creating rooms/hallways individually and compositing in Unity is the recommended approach. Probably also makes it easier to rearrange levels as I playtest and revise the game.

Thanks!