Search Unity

Building leaves empty folder

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Hale_88, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Hale_88

Hale_88

Hey guys,

So I have my game up and running on the windows phone 8 store and I want to port it over to windows store. So I have the same project and I change the build settings to windows store app. I also have Visual Studios 2012 express for windows 8 installed. When I click the build and select a folder two small black boxes pop up as if it was building and then it beeps at me. I then check the folder that I was attempting to build to and nothing exist in the folder.

Anybody know why this is happening?

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

3. Hale_88

Hale_88

4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Have looked in the log of the editor? Perhaps build failed for some reason, you should see something there telling you the reason.

5. Hale_88

Hale_88

I have checked the log editor and it shows nothing. It's honestly as if nothing is happening when I press the build button

6. k00ksta

k00ksta

Are you using any 3rd Party Add-on's .. For one Collider Gen for instance? I notice if there are build warnings sometimes it wont build the Windows Store app's.

7. Hale_88

Hale_88

I am using NGUI but that's it and NGUI works on windows phone 8 so I would be very surprised if it didn't work for Windows Store

8. Hale_88

Hale_88

Here is a video that shows what I am doing. Quality is still low but you can see the basic problems

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  9. Hale_88

Hale_88

Just thought I would bump this as I still am having this problem and can't figure it out.

Some more information for you guys, I am using a sony vaio pro 13 running windows 8.1 with the new i7 processor and the intel graphics card. Also I have to force Unity to run in DX11 mode or else when I boot up any graphics it crashes. Maybe that is wrecking something?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  10. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Could you attach Editor.log?

Also maybe you're building to path which have spaces in it, though this shouldn't be a problem, you never know.

11. Hale_88

Hale_88

12. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

The error is right in the log file:

Code (csharp):
    1. error CS0006: Metadata file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\Windows.winmd' could not be found
    You do not have the Windows 8 SDK installed. I know for certain that it can be installed side by side with Windows 8.1. Download it from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852363.aspx and install that, then try again and it should build for you.

13. Hale_88

Hale_88

Hey Kyle,

I have installed the link you sent me up I am still having problems with the build, two balck boxes pop up quickly now instead of just one. It still has an empty folder. I have attached the editor logs again

View attachment $Editor3.txt View attachment $Editor2.txt View attachment $Editor1.txt View attachment $Editor4.txt View attachment $Editor5.txt

14. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

I've got good news and bad news for you.

The good news is that installing the Windows 8 SDK fixed it for you! Hooray!

The bad news is that now that it is able to *try* to build, you are getting proper errors.

Have you looked at the console before in Unity? Go to Window -> Console, it will show errors that come up as you try to build. These errors will come up in your console. As well as any error while running / testing the game - you really cant live without the Console window.

Basically your problem is now that you are using classes (hashtable) that are unsupported with Windows 8 store. There are plenty of other posts in this forum about it which you can look through, or you can wait till Unity 4.3 comes out (soon) which I believe fixes the issue of Hashtables automagically for you.

-Kyle

15. Hale_88

Hale_88

Oh I see, its the hashtables in iTween now that are breaking it.

Thank you very much for your Kyle!