Search Unity

Building from command line makes addressables revert custom bundle provider back to default

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by CodeBombQuinn, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CodeBombQuinn

CodeBombQuinn

This is a very weird bug. It's 100% reproducible from my project whenever I try to build using our command line scripts to make the build (just like our build machines do), the Asset Bundle Provider gets set to the default one instead of my custom one. Even reopening Unity after the build has finished shows the schema files as the default Asset Bundle Provider, but oddly the actual .asset file viewed in a text editor shows that it should be loading my custom provider. The main issue seems to be running a build from the command line in unity batchmode. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where this is failing yet after a few days of investigation.

I've even stripped down my static function that gets called from the command line via the -executeMethod to not even build addressables or the project. It simply just switches to Android build target (also seeing issue in iOS) and ends the build. Opening unity has the same issue as stated above where provider is set to default AssetBundleProvider.

Is there anywhere in the addressables code that would set that to the default overriding what's in the serialized .asset file?

I'm still investigating, but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Edit: Seen in Addressables 1.1.7, and also 1.2.4

Also of note is it seemed like creating the APK directly for Android from command line was working, but exporting the android project and then building from the project was causing this issue.

2. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @CodeBombQuinn that is really odd. I can't think of anywhere that would do that off the top of my head. If you don't mind filing a bug and posting the case number it's definitely something we can look into.