Search Unity

Question Building for Linux ARM

Discussion in 'HMI & Embedded Systems' started by Kobix, Oct 3, 2019.

1. zavavov

zavavov

2. RSC_Games

RSC_Games

I've been thinking of workarounds for building for ARM. Unity, from what I know, supports the Universal Windows Platform. Assuming that WINE is available for ARM Linux, you should be able to build for Windows ARM64 and then run it in WINE.

Disclaimer: This is a projection and I do not know whether it works yet. My RPi 4 is still in the mail and I'm waiting to test this.

3. zavavov

zavavov

It sounds good for private project, but if I want to recommend some device for my software to customers, then it is not the best solution. Now it is hobby project, but it will be for lot of railway modellers for control their trains from PC/Android/iOS/Mac and RPi is missing. There would be good own HW and adding some own modules for control like control wheel or some buttons.

Thanks for interesting idea.

4. hamerg

hamerg

+1 for Linux/ARM. Need it now for a project requiring niche hardware.

You know x86/x64 is doomed in the long term, so get on it please.

5. siddharthpreetham09

siddharthpreetham09

+1
    Really feel like ARM64 support would be very useful for Linux.

6. heathmitchell27

heathmitchell27

Sadly, Wine doesn't support UWP. Also the Switch runs Horizon OS which isn't Linux, though it is arm64 and there's an unofficial port of Linux and Android (I'm typing from Android on my Switch now)

7. pmelo

pmelo

I'm sorry that came across damaging to your field of AI. That was not the intention. I'm glad the platform served your purposes.
    I haven't done any large ML training myself, but I have worked with these boards from software development standpoint, and this is an example of what I meant by them being designed for inference (see screenshot).

The SDK and tools are so great that allows them to be used for training, which is even a bigger achievement imho, in terms of software tooling / pipeline.
    So, indeed, benefits like portability and not requiring a whole rig can't be ignored.
    Whether a jetson board outperforms an Nvidia RTX graphics card in ML training? Well, I wouldn't bet on that. ML Inference? Sure, it gets pretty close, and in many cases, if you compare to older graphics cards it outperforms them, indeed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    deus0 likes this.
  8. triLight

triLight

Logged in after a really long time and give my two cents.
    Unity needs to get in on this. Especially for raspberry pi and SBCs.

deus0 likes this.
  9. thelghome

thelghome

The alternative would be installing Win10 Arm on Raspberry Pi, Unity Editor works well, and I tested it with our plugin FMETP STREAM too. But if Unity can offer native support, that would be a boom~!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  10. Gillissie

Gillissie

+1 for Raspberry Pi build target support. I don't need to run Unity editor on the Raspberry Pi, I just need a build target. I do all my development on a Mac, and currently build for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android all from the Mac.

deus0 likes this.
  11. CoolJosh3k

CoolJosh3k

+1

Would be interested in why Unity won't do this. Is it just no one cares enough?

deus0 likes this.
  12. rallyDuke

rallyDuke

+1 would be really great - any updates on this?

13. rallyDuke

rallyDuke

Any news on this?

14. TheGamery

TheGamery

News just announced Russia is releasing a mass produced domestic ARM Linux PC.

deus0 likes this.
  15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We have no plans of supporting Linux on ARM.

16. Just_Mofy

Just_Mofy

I find this very disappointing. As I have a work related project that I was planning on prototyping in Unity, I will now have to do this in another engine.

Edit: 13,000 views on this thread. Seems popular.

deus0 likes this.
  17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

If you have a legitimate business case for something like this, I suggest contacting Unity sales and telling them about it. Unfortunately writing about it on the forums doesn't help here.

18. unity_kIW5vB8P_ITvmw

unity_kIW5vB8P_ITvmw

+1 ARM32/64 build.

Android and LinuxARM can use GPU from Nvidia and AMD. (mini-pcie supported)
    But android performance poor, and linux standalone base is better now.
    So, i hope Unity support build Linux ARM build.

deus0 likes this.
  19. deus0

deus0

+1 ARM32/64 build.

Lol, it's not a sales pitch, we are just expressing our views! I do think there is a lot of business opportunities in this market though. While 'it doesn't help' and it doesn't get us anywhere, it does make us feel better to express our views.

So I found this https://github.com/hiulit/Unofficial-Godot-Engine-Raspberry-Pi
    But it won't be as powerful as Unity Engine unfortunately. But for simple games, it should be fine!

20. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Has that changed in 2021.2? This screenshot of the platform constraints for an assembly definition seems to suggest so:

deus0 and dustinkerstein like this.
  21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No. Embedded Linux is a separate build target aimed at industrial applications. It's not related to Linux Standalone.

22. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Dang. Is there anywhere I can read a little about that, at least? I'm nonetheless curious.

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We have a page about the "Unity Industrial Collection" product here: https://unity.com/products/unity-industrial-collection. EmbeddedLinux build target is part of the offering: it's a way to run HMI software on specialized devices (think dashboards, HUDs, etc)

pmelo and JesseSTG like this.
  24. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

25. deus0

deus0

Does this mean it'll run on a raspberry pi :O

26. DevDunk

DevDunk

27. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

I know it was said that it doesn't mean anything to post here but I'm going to throw my +1 in anyway. I used to want this just to putz around trying to get games to run on the jankiest SBC setups possible but it's not like that anymore. It isn't just hobbyists and Chromebook users running ARM on Desktops/Laptops anymore.

Most of the new generation EC2 instances from Amazon are ARM based (with GCP, and Azure following it up), Apple has ditched x86 entirely, Microsoft is building their own ARM based chips for their surface lineup, and handheld PCs are becoming a big deal and ARM would help them out a lot. I'm not saying that x86 is dying or dead or anything like that but it's also a bad bet to assume ARM is irrelevant and we don't need it. Being able to support standalone Linux ARM and Windows ARM is a good idea.

Edit: I don't want to sound standoffish, just making a case, I really do appreciate that unity has popped in from time to time on this thread to give an update.

Edit 2: Having some more time to look at it, I peeked a bit more at what Redmond is doing. Microsoft is definitely not backing down from ARM (and now they have the LIVA QC710 devkit). I also saw that WinForms, WPF, and UWP apps are now all supported natively so work is definitely being put in by Microsoft. Lastly, if competition is a better motivator, Unreal does have this capability (ARM64 Linux and Windows). Not that I'm going to run off to them but just putting it out there. Really hoping you guys can get a solution for this.

Edit 3: Updated that handheld PCs are a real thing now and ARM could help with battery life for gamers on the go.

Edit 4: It is now March of 23. Everything I said above still applies and ARM is just as relevant as ever. I have been given an ARM Windows Samsung laptop to do testing on through work as part of the software I write there. It's here, it's a thing and the performance if you go through the translation layer is AWFUL. Even if it was just ARM Linux, that at least would allow us to target it for the dedicated servers we build. Lastly, to bring up competition again, Godot 4 is out, it's here right now and I can not only export to Linux ARM, but I can run the editor on Linux ARM. See you all when I add another edit at the end of the year asking for RISCV too :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    JesseSTG and DevDunk like this.
  28. tellamon

tellamon

+1
    (RPi and Jetson series)

29. gundelsw

gundelsw

one more request for linux + arm support

30. Otavio_Soato

Otavio_Soato

31. unity_4DD4F45340EE06C53894

unity_4DD4F45340EE06C53894

pls i want to host mirror server build on linux arm and i cant :C

32. zyhe

zyhe

Any update on this?

33. ughost123

ughost123

+1 ARM LINUX support

JuanGuzmanH likes this.
  34. kisspityu8998

kisspityu8998

Unreal Engine 5 got ARM Linux support, what are you waiting for Unity?????

JuanGuzmanH likes this.
  35. JuanGuzmanH

JuanGuzmanH

+1 linux ARM support

HiMann likes this.
  36. HiMann

HiMann

I am a researcher in the AI/robotics field. There is an increase in state of the art robotics applications that NEED a photorealistic simulation, and turned to Unity, as opposed to e.g ROS/Gazebo. Some examples, for drones simulation alone:
    https://github.com/uzh-rpg/flightmare
    https://github.com/mit-aera/FlightGoggles
    Here is another project that has a simulation component with the purpose of being run on a portable robot (embedded machines):
    https://github.com/knowrob/knowrob

Now, along with many of the reasons presented before (raspberry pi ubiquity, chip shortage, etc), the Nvidia Jetson family of boards became a really interesting and competitive platform for robotics applications, since it has Vulkan support and would be perfect for this use-case scenario.

The next generation of robotics applications can be unleashed by this.

+1 for linux ARM support!

deus0, pmelo and TylerCode_ like this.
  37. Max-Bot

Max-Bot

38. dedwardschultz13

dedwardschultz13

39. zhengyi73

zhengyi73

40. pmelo

pmelo

I agree. Whereas the business opportunities in this market might be not as standard procedure as it is with regular games in Mobile/PC/Consoles, I work developing apps and games for Museum & Heritage, and these clients often have tight budgets on computers dedicated to run the software we develop. They're usually like kiosks with industrial grade computers behind each interactive screen.

Having the option to deploy to linux embedded devices will significantly reduce deployment costs, their energy bill will most likely be smaller too, and produce less heat compared to regular computers.

I don't work at unity, so here's my three ideas after reading about this new industrial collection for 2 minutes (which I haven't tried yet, so pardon me if I'm wrong here, just my thoughts):

• I think this HMI will later become a general-purpose ARM Linux target platform. It kinda makes sense to start with businesses paying for support to their specific use cases when making a compiler to deploy to custom hardware like AR/VR glasses (many of which would run their own linux distro made for their embedded ARM hardware), but soon enough they will realise this is sturdy and generic enough to offer as a open target platform. Just like the history of TextMeshPro.
    • Another idea (not directly on Unity, though), is that RPI could improve its support for hardware acceleration and graphic drivers' linkage for better support of webgl, .wasm, which Unity can deploy to, and these could be relatively easily wrapped around a standalone chromium based browser to run as if it was a standalone application. But then, performance is severely impacted in a system with already limited resources in performance.

I managed to open a bare-bones unity project in my ubuntu rpi 4b+ through webgl in the chromium browser, but it stopped working after launching it a couple times, and most of the games I tried from itch.io and play.unity.com did not load at all, and the one or two that loaded were very slow, barely playable, despite being apparently super simple.

• Lastly, perhaps the general purpose arm linux target platform that we're begging for will come integrated / tied to the under development Project Tiny at some point. That would be cool. It's contrained, blazing fast, and would be a great candidate project for hosting support for such target platform as embedded arm linux (raspberry pi / jetson).

deus0 likes this.
  41. pivot_RyomaShibata

pivot_RyomaShibata

42. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, we have experimented with it before. That is a twitter of a Unity employee.

Just getting it to compile/launch a simple project is about 5% of the way to supporting an additional platform in Unity. I explained it quite well here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/any...port-for-arm-linux.296976/page-2#post-8143835

deus0 and pivot_RyomaShibata like this.
  43. ZenUnity

ZenUnity

+1 Linux ARM Support

PolyCrusher and deus0 like this.
  44. deus0

deus0

I just want to add, based on the pi4, the firefly and the pi5 when it comes out. The pi4 is very popular with gaming. The firefly with its octcore chip has the power to run more high end games. I think arm linux is the future of gaming, especially with the electricity price increases. The cost of living doubled in a year, not to mention gpu prices. A pi5 tho? That's doable for the common wages.
    I also recommend people checking out box64 to translate x86 to arm!

TylerCode_ likes this.
  45. kooltyme1

kooltyme1

+5 BRUTHA, my mom, dad, brother, me, and dog all want this, where tf is linux arm support, this some bs

46. TCROC

TCROC

47. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

I know, I KNOW you guys are tired of hearing about this. I just want to respond and ask honestly. Why not just do what you guys did for Linux Editor? I mean it's been a thing for a long while, but support was "unofficial". Like "Hey, you can export to Linux ARM, but it isn't ready for prime time, we might throw it away later, and we won't help you if you have problems but it's there."

48. Atangames

Atangames

+1 linux + arm support

49. Raezroth

Raezroth

Linux aarch64 isn't hard to do and a lot of the dependencies Unity uses is available on Linux ARM. You could try running Unity Hub/Editor through FEX or Box86/64 or Waydroid (anbox alternative, way better), But that is not a reliable method. Unity is the only platform refusing linux aarch64 support even when their engine runs well on low end arm cpus. This is isolating a growing community and will hurt Unity in the long run. THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING THIS FOR YEARS, UNITY YOU SHOULD BE GOOD GUYS AND LISTEN. Especially with the rise in singleboard computer users and projects like the Pinephones, Librem 5, and Halium ported devices, it would be a huge step forward to support linux aarch64.

As a daily driver of the Pinephones (if you don't know is a convergence device), this would be a huge warm welcome in the community.

LetmeDwight likes this.
  50. dlorddd

dlorddd

+1, Linux ARM would be much appreciated