Search Unity

Question Building and hosting a new multiplayer map each day

Discussion in 'Game Server Hosting' started by erdmannjacob0, Apr 7, 2023.

1. erdmannjacob0

erdmannjacob0

Hello all,
    I need to be able to update all the servers I am hosting with a new procedurally generated map at midnight each night. I have all the generation written, I just have to manually initiate it right now. Is there a good way to automate this across all the servers so that each server uses the same map.

2. JTovey

JTovey

Unity Technologies

Hi there! There are a few different options here, depending on how you are handling the map creation.

If you are using procedural generation then it might be worth using a seed to generate your map, that way you can tell all of your servers to use the same seed, and they should generate the same map. You could either do this by having the servers periodically query an API endpoint that you host and update for the seed to use or by updating their configuration files on our side and then restarting the servers. Relevant docs for this can be found here:

If you are baking the world file into your game server build, then you would likely need to do a nightly build. At present, the only way to do this programmatically is to use the docker image upload system, though we have a CLI on the roadmap (I can't give an ETA for this sadly) which could help here. You can find docs on the upload process here:

I hope that this helps you to resolve your issue!

Alexis_UGS and larah3d like this.