Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a racing track

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by redghost, Jul 16, 2007.

1. redghost

redghost

Hi, I don't have much experience in graphic design but I would like your opinion on how I could design a simple track for a racing game. A thought that I had was to try and make the parts of the track separately (straights, corners, bridges etc.) and then import them in Unity, duplicate them as many times is needed and contsract the whole track in unity.

the think is that I don't know how to do that exactly. I mean, which objects to use, how to manipulate them an morphing them. I can have access in Maya.

I want something simple just to try a "music racing" idea I have.

Anyone has any idea of what could I do and how to begin with?

thanx!!!

2. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi,
    try making the initial shape in Ilustrator or Inkskape (the outline), then send it to Maya and make sigle track, separate your elemnts according with your needs, fences, grass, sand, ect... and give it the appropiate polycount, then you are able to make changes on the fly within maya and see it on your unity project as it gets saved.
    Try to make your own textures in photoshop or the Gimp and start codding.

good luck

3. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Agree with Joe. Simply create the outline of the track using Illustrator or Lineform or whatever vector drawing tool makes you happy, import that into Maya, and away you go. It's how I'm going to create the tracks for a game I'm working on that is an homage to Carabonde (aka Pitch Car).

4. redghost

redghost

Alright,

but I'm a little crappy with that I think!!! :?

I created a simple square shape that represents something like a road in Illustrator (first time I used it!haha) and then I imported in Maya and... now what??? I ended up having two squary frames (the road's edges) and cannot transform it in a 3d object. Any help would be appreciated!!

Attached Files:

5. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

The Illustrator files gives you a path to follow, replicate it it in the usual way with polygons, it takes some time but you get an accurated track instead of use bevel tools or nurbs to poly change, you get more control on the number of polys and the acuracy.

good luck

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Or can't you simply vertically extrude the wide vector path you created?

7. redghost

redghost

thanx! I will try it and I will let you know!