Search Unity

Question Building a model train test track through a point cloud

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Farid29, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Farid29

Farid29

Hy, Im completely new in Unity so unfortunaley my knowledge isnt that high. In Order of my Bachelor work I should create a "digital twin" of a model train test track room from our university in Unity. Therefore I already set up a 3D Scan and transmit it in unity, so I have now a whole visualization of the room and the tracks through point cloud, see pictures. My question is, can I build a track in unity identically structured on the point cloud scan to let drive a lokomotive? Because right now I can not really click or define the point cloud, its just there. It would be great for example to define that part as a straight.

Thank you very much

Regards

Attached Files:

2. burningmime

burningmime

If you just want something that looks the same but isn't actually generated from the 3D data; that's possible to build manually in Blender/Maya/ProBuilder/C4D/whatever. Import your point cloud and spend a few hours getting the track to be close through denial and error; it'll just take patience.

If your project/assignment is about using the point cloud to generate the mesh automatically, that's a MUCH harder problem and an area of active research, especially in the medical and AI fields. You will need to do some independent research into algorithms that do that (eg marching cubes) or talk to your professor. The algorithms themselves are complex enough, but the real tricky part is often data cleanup.