Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a home staging/managing asset online apps (sort of a Map editor for serious gaming)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spounyboy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. spounyboy

spounyboy

Hi,
    I'm currently exploring the possibility to build a home staging app for web browser.
    Here are my goals :
    - being able to import in the apps 3D model of house/office/buildings
    - importing (drag and drop) furniture from a library that can be completed by importing new asset when ever we want
    - the object placed in the scene should place themselves on top of any other asset (a chair would be on the floor but a computer should automatically place itself on a desk if droped on it.
    - being able to chance textures and material on any asset
    - changing the general lighting and add local lighting
    - being able to create instances of any scene for personal home staging (protected by a password and an ID
    - switching from a top or 3/4 view to FPS view for imersion
    - add links to the comercial pages of the furniture used in the scene.

What I don't need :
    - timeline
    - interaction between furniture other then placement

In shorts I would like to build something like the game The Sims but without the sims or any gaming experience, in a way something like a Map Editor for CS:Go or Arma and be able to move around.
    the goal is to replace my use of Archilogic, an online platform for home-staging, by my own app.

My question here is how hard (and long) can it be, I did all the basic tutorial and I'm a 3D graphist artist.
    I can't really find any module for managing asset in-game.
    I think that once I sorted the asset manager in-game it should be easy to put that together.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to do it, what to start with or the time it should take me to achieve those goals.

Thanks for reading me

Any comments is appreciate

PEACE

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

How long it may take, is hard to say. For someone experienced probably week to few weeks full time.
    For yourself with near zero programming experience, may take easily many months.

What you are asking is feasible.
    You need combine drag and drop functionality, with some form o inventory. Nothing unusual in games. So plenty examples out there.

One thing is unclear to me, how the space/room/office is generated. Is just suppose to be loaded predefined model. Or 3d scan/point cloud etc.

Rest is just basics of 3d game. Like movement and camera rotation. Cinemachine may be good use here.

Regarding securing asset and password, the best solution is online database and user accounts. Depending what level of security and accessibility we talking about.

Just to add, probably for colliders, you would be better use combinations of mesh and box colliders.

zombiegorilla and frosted like this.
  3. frosted

frosted

I'd add to that time. There are a lot of little details in that description.

A prototype could be done in a week, professional grade polish will take much much longer. I would expect a good quality finish on that to take a couple months for an experienced dev. There's a ton of supporting ui panels, toolbars, world indicators, etc.

If it's not user facing and you can get away with rough edges, then somewhere inbetween.

zombiegorilla and Antypodish like this.