Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

building 3D objects With 2D sprites and no 3d model

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by jmfp92, Dec 9, 2018.

1. jmfp92

jmfp92

I have been kicking around the idea of going to 3D but If I did I would much prefer continuing to work with sprites. Mainly because I am a one man crew and just do not have the time to learn blender on top of continuously learning unity. In theory, I could mathematically place each sprite representing a part of an object in the world to line up perfectly and "look" like it's one complete object via script but that just doesn't seem like it's the most appropriate approach.

I'd like to know if there are any suggestions or software I can use or maybe plugins I could use to achieve this maybe make something like this more easily with just a sprite sheet and no actual 3d model before I even attempt it.

If there is still any confusion, in short I want a faster way to take multiple say "64 x 64" 2d sprites and rotate them and configure them around the axis to make the illusion of a 3d object

2. jmfp92

jmfp92

Was wondering if pro builder was probably what I wanted

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Pro Builder is just another 3D modeling package like Blender. It might be easier/faster for you to learn though, since that's your main concern.

Edit: You might be interested in this article: http://www.like100bears.com/writing/2d-3d-in-gamemaker-studio . It's for Game Maker Studio, but the concept is transferable. Basically, you can sort-of make a 3D object in sprites by making several layers and drawing them on top of each other. You can use a parallax effect to offset each layer as the object moves to make the object look 3D. This will require some programming in order to display it properly.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. jmfp92

jmfp92

Thank you his was helpful but not entirely the effect I needed, I wanted to do something in a full 3d space like minecraft but I don't want to use voxels because cubes everywhere for everything is just ugly to me so I have been watching a few probuilder videos and think this is probably what I wanted. Thank you for your help though