Search Unity

Feedback BuildContentUpdate take too much time as no effect of increment build

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by MarsZhouCN, Aug 21, 2019.

1. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Hi guys,
    I am working on addressables , and I have meet some issue about build.
    I wish I can build my addressables assets incremently , I think that 'AddressableAssetSettings.BuildPlayerContent();' means build all again without incremently build , and I think I can use 'ContentUpdateScript.BuildContentUpdate(AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.Settings, path);' for incremently build, with will take less time after first build.
    But I found that I have token the same time when I used 'BuildContentUpdate' even if I have built for twice or more times.
    I have tried to do the follow steps copy from sources codes before using BuildContentUpdate but it seems the same, no effect .
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  var settings = AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.Settings;
    2. var buildPath = ContentUpdateScript.GetContentStateDataPath(false);
    3. var modifiedEntries = ContentUpdateScript.GatherModifiedEntries(settings, buildPath);
    4. ContentUpdateScript.CreateContentUpdateGroup(settings, modifiedEntries, "Content Update");

2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

That's interesting. I'd try and profile the build and see where the time is spent, if that's possible. I am curious, because my local version of addressables has some performance fixes that may or may not affect your use case.

3. HugoClip

HugoClip

As far as I know BuildContentUpdate takes the same time as BuildPlayerContent as they use almost the same code.
    I could be wrong tho, @unity_bill ?

4. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

I have tried and found out that it spend all the time on BuildPlayerContent .

5. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Me too.

6. androshchuk-vladyslav

androshchuk-vladyslav

Like code is the same. 1 to 1. It just get info about version from .bin file before build.

7. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

The build cache should help with the bits that have not changed though. Unless of course we're comparing a cached build with a cached update, or a build and an update where everything's been touched. That's why I suggested profiling the internals.

unity_bill likes this.
  8. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

I think it 's because of that I packed bundles using their suffix, which means I will pack all the prefabs into one group.
    I have tried to set the group pack mode to 'PackSeparately' , but ' IOException: Win32 IO returned 234.' will be occur. which means the bundle file path is too long .

9. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

10. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@unity_bill Any idea on what's going on there? We'd prefer incremental builds rather than having to wait forever every time we make a slight content change.

IS_Twyker likes this.