Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Build VR Games for Mac without eGPU with Vive?

Discussion in 'VR on macOS Preview' started by GuardHei, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GuardHei

GuardHei

I get some vr game ideas recently and want to make demos on my mac device using Htc Vive, which is a MacBook Pro 2017 with 16g ram, i7 quad core and gpu of Radeon Pro 560. I have updated the os to Mojave. But after searching for information, I get confused. It seems that I need to buy an extra eGPU to develop VR applications for Htc Vive through Thunderbolt 3. However, I noticed that this eGPU is used to increase the rendering performance. Therefore, if my vr application does not have a heavy graphic task, can I develop Htc Vive VR games on mac without using an eGPU? Or it would be an expensive budge list to develop VR on mac and for demos I don't want to invest a lot.

(Sorry for my poor english.

2. ICTSoEasy

ICTSoEasy

I've not gone onto anything demanding yet but I've had VR working on my MBP (2018).
    My method:
    1. Install Unity
    2. Install Steam
    3. Install SteamVR in Steam
    4. Install SteamVR Plugin in Unity
    5. Plug your Vive in and get going

3. Polff

Polff

You can certainly develop for VR on mac, but testing is going to be difficult.
    If you're fine with developing with the Unity XR Interaction Toolkit, you could use my VR Simulator from the asset store for testing without a headset. (I've even published some vouchers in the forum thread to get it for free ;) )

unityunity