Search Unity

Build variants with Addressbless

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by slimshader, Mar 26, 2020.

1. slimshader

slimshader

Hi,

I thing I got a grasp on Addressables (they are not easy;)) but I stil don't know how to replace our current workflow with them. Our case:

- Same app executable is used for different versions of the application.
    - Applications starts and looks for asset bundles in StreamingAssets
    - Based on asset bundles available it presents the available content (and functionality) to the user
    - The Editor project contains all the assets for all the final versions of the app and just have related assets bundled in specific ABs (we follow strict rules as what the AB must contain to have full "feature" bundled).
    - This setup allows to deploy same app for different clients only with different set of ABs

now with Addressables I am not sure how to replicate that behavior (dynamic check for available content) as it all seems to start with catalogs which define app content sources "statically" (IIUC).

So my questions:
    1) How to solve this problem with Addressables?
    2) Is there a way to automate this workflow with Addresables? For example cooked assets not only go to specific target platform directory but also to specific variant, so say Windows/VariantA, Windows/VariantB

2. slimshader

slimshader

bump. TLDR: How to distribute different Addressables with different builds and check availability oat run-time