Search Unity

Build Target Android is not supported, switch to Windows or Exit Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SanjayBhambhu, Feb 6, 2019.

1. SanjayBhambhu

SanjayBhambhu

I am working on a game for android, and I have the Android module downloaded and setup and was doing test builds every day, but ever since 2018.3.* updates, every next day when I open my project in unity I am presented with a small window with this line "Build Target Android is not supported, switch to Windows Standalone or Exit Unity?", and there are two buttons on the bottom "Switch Target" and "Exit Unity".
    • Even If I press "Exit Unity", the build target is set to Windows Standalone the next time I open my project.
    • If I press "Exit Unity", and install and android module and open my project again the build target is set to Windows Standalone for my project.
    • If I open the project as it is, I see these type of options,
    aaa.PNG

Notice that it says no android module selected, though there is option to "Switch Platform" there.
    In this case if I press the "Switch Platform" button I am stuck in this screen.

sss.PNG

If I install the Android module, I am able to work on my project correctly, for the day, but the next day again I have to face this.

Please help as installing android module and changing the build target to Android everyday is very much time consuming.

Thank You

melogsy and ina like this.
  2. dominykasm

dominykasm

Unity Technologies

3. newtype1124

newtype1124

I have the same problem. Work hard unity. This is really stressful

4. SanjayBhambhu

SanjayBhambhu

Updated to 2018.3.6f1, to still see the same "Switch Target" window, and now it is taking me hours to switch to Windows platform, just so I can switch to Android platform again.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Aseemy

Aseemy

I faced the same issue on Unity 2018.3.6f1 today. It was showing that both IOS and Android modules not installed. Reinstalled the Android module (did not install IOS again) and restarted the project, and both IOS and Android modules now available again.

Same thing happened to me but it didnt spend hours to switch platform as i have enabled the Cache Server. please read about it here. Very helpful for mobile devs who have to switch platforms frequently.

6. harryblack

harryblack

I have been getting this for sometime now. I install Android module every time and it seems to work fine and then in a few days again, it shows up.
    It is happening right now after 3-4 days of working normally.
    It seems as if the android module gets uninstalled on its own or somehow becomes undetectable by unity. Is there a way to correct this?

Rdev likes this.
  7. harryblack

harryblack

After I repeatedly tried to get into Unity by exitting it, it got me through and in build settings I am seeing android module intact but in console I see this error

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildWindowExtension.GetBuildPlayerWindow () (at <e1c3953b4cf040ddb1400046b1c34897>:0)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildWindowExtension.RepaintTargetList () (at <e1c3953b4cf040ddb1400046b1c34897>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:200)

8. woosungwon

woosungwon

This issue appears to occur when you install a 2018.3.x or earlier version and update it multiple times to a higher version.

It also occurs at 2018.3.8f1.
    This problem occurs 100% after rebooting Windows.

I installed the same version on both my laptop and desktop.
    The problem only occurs on the desktop.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Unity at this time and installing the Android support module will not fix the problem.

When you run Unity, first open a blank project, change the project to Android, then open the wrok project and open it normally. It is a way to shorten the time.

I hope this issue will be resolved soon.

9. sarebots2

sarebots2

I'm facing the same problem, every time I restart Unity, it can't detect android module. I have to reinstall the android module by running "UnitySetup-Android-Support-for-Editor-2018.3.8f1.exe" or switch to standalone, open project, switch back to android (Even then the build option is greyed out in build settings, but the build and run option from file menu works, make sure the unity icon is next to android in build settings)

10. alap18

alap18

This worked for me: opening a blank project, switching to Android and then opening up my work project.

11. Jianyong_Luo_2014

Jianyong_Luo_2014

anyone has final solution on this? This occurs with unity 2018.3.8.

12. charlesntt

charlesntt

Is the same for me, updated Unity, 2018.3.8 e it continues. The modules already instaled. I need to open in standalone e close the project, after this I re-open e switch platform works, but is tedius do the same thing all the time.

13. ekaralar

ekaralar

Having the same problem with 2018.3.8 for IOS.
    Any solution Unity?

melogsy likes this.
  14. tjPark

tjPark

Before you select your project,
    select "Learn" Tab, then back to "Project" tab and select your project.
    This solved me the problem. (osx Mojave, 2018.3.6f1)

pujanparikh2209, JJ-OBA, ina and 2 others like this.
  15. romantic_dream2008

romantic_dream2008

same here Unity_2018.3.7f1

16. Qasim337

Qasim337

This happened with Unity 2018.3.5, I updated to Unity 2018.3.8, but after few days, happening again.

If I close the error window, create a new project and open the old project from File menu, it works fine without having to reinstall plugin and switch platform

17. Its4u

Its4u

This works for me. Thanks

This issue still happens in Unity 2018.3.9

18. nikescar

nikescar

This has been happening to me on every version of 2018.3. The difference for me is it only happens after a Unity crash.

ina likes this.
  19. pikychu

pikychu

unity 2018.3.10f1 same here

20. tmongy

tmongy

Thanks that worked!

21. dchakrabarty

dchakrabarty

After upgrading Mac to Mojave 14.10.4, the same happened with me. I did the same thing after reading your post and strangely it worked!

ina and Waynecai123 like this.
  22. ina

ina

This solved it for me for the iOS module for Mojave

23. trooper

trooper

I'm speechless, worked on Windows 10.

24. Crz-t

Crz-t

Thx,Works for me !

25. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Have you set the path to the Android SDK under Preferences/External Tools? I suspect everyone here has, but had to ask.

26. Aseemy

Aseemy

Yes, I have. Cant say for others but they probably have as it used to work but stops later.

27. KaOzz

KaOzz

That worked for me! Thanks.

28. tnluan

tnluan

Thanks, you saved me!

29. akshayg6590

akshayg6590

This worked!!

30. unity_moN7x4zmQZyK8w

unity_moN7x4zmQZyK8w

hi
    If you work without Android studio , you must install Android sdk & Jdk And from the section Edit>Preferences>External>tools Manually install in Unity.
    better is install Android Studio then you can take output of unity

31. TerrenceRao

TerrenceRao

Same Problem in (Osx mojave ,unity 2018.3.14f1)
    And This solved me the problem. Thanks

32. pujanparikh2209

pujanparikh2209

god. works 100%

33. artanist

artanist

I use 2018.4.1 and the problem is still there. Didn't try the workaround, but thanks in advance !

34. peter171

peter171

2018.4.2f1 same here

35. unnamed7

unnamed7

This worked for Win10!

36. popyoung

popyoung

I reset the path to the Android SDK under Preferences/External Tools and problem fixed

37. JonPQ

JonPQ

I have this problem also with Unity hub 2019.1.9 pro license...
    installed 2019 with droid and iOS support checked. (I also already have android studio installed and previous version of unity 5.6.3p3 installed without Hub) I opened opened project once (selecting Android mode in hub before opening) that worked, but it showed "free" hud, not Pro unity dark Hud, so clicked on "Manage License"... logged in. went back to unity. unity crashed... So I re-launched 2019 from hub. hub now insists I am not licensed to load it in Android mode... even though I am. and already logged in, and It still shows I have droid and ios build support installed.
    If I do as it says, and switch/load in PC standalone mode, now I cannot change to Android mode in settings. I cannot edit any SDK/JDK info as the slots are missing from build settings.
    The "learn" tab trick above does not work.
    restart doesn't work.
    deleting Library folder doesn't work

any other ideas please ? thanks
    Should I just dump Hub and do a manual install and setup ?

follow up...
    following day, everything just worked. Assuming unity was having license server issues yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  38. paranoidAndroid

paranoidAndroid

Im also getting this on 2018.4.3f1, For some reason it says no android target found, then switches to Standalone, takes around 2 hours to import then I have to switch it back to Android then wait another 2 hours.

Its a serious issue that really halts development.

I tried using the cache system, but this always errors out and I have to reimport everything again anyway.. it takes longer as it tries to use the cache before failing.

Be nice to see things like this fixed before new shiny features are created.

39. Sompol_Rznet

Sompol_Rznet

40. Keisanwanko

Keisanwanko

Same thing happened on me. I'm using Win10 and Unity 2018 4.4f1 (64-bit), LTS version.
    Enabling local cache server from Edit > Preferences seems like settling this problem .. as for now ..

Sompol_Rznet likes this.