Search Unity

build support program for retro console

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lyokoguerier_unity, Aug 27, 2019.

1. lyokoguerier_unity

lyokoguerier_unity

Hello everyone

I have a question

can I program under unity3D kind of native plugin to apply the SDK hombrew of the net like the SDK PSX

and call it via script that I programmed to complicate the game of the editor Unity3D in PSX or other platform retro?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not completely positive if this is what you're asking, but you can't create builds for unsupported platforms using plugins.

At most you might be able to create an editor extension that allows you to convert the scene layout in Unity into a format that can be interpreted by the unsupported platform's SDK, but that's not at all the same as creating a game in Unity the normal way and would take more effort than it's generally worth.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. lyokoguerier_unity

lyokoguerier_unity

Thank you for your help

what i noticed, i can program on the psx platform like he did a guy for wii case

https://code.google.com/archive/p/wire3d/wikis/Unity3DExporter.wiki

1- I want to know what I can program to export in the PSX SDK?

2-is there any other way than the native plugin? for the unity3D case

3- Is this native plugin method more time-efficient than going straight into the PSX SDK?

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity natively supported the Wii. Unity has not and never will support the original Playstation, a console that came out more than a decade before the Wii.

6. lyokoguerier_unity

lyokoguerier_unity

thanks for the advance

but I see that Ryiah said that I can do this in his post

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Getting the unity export a scene into something potentially readable the sdk isn't the same as exporting a game, it is a long way off. Unless the goal is the point itself (like sticking Doom on a fridge) the effort is far greater than what the results will yield. If the goal is to make a game for the PSX, then just write in using the sdk and C++ and whatever tools were used for that purpose. There really is no point in adding Unity into the mix. They aren't compatible, and the effort to make them compatible is significantly, massively more effort than just writing the game native.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. kdgalla

kdgalla

No, what Ryiah was describing is more like using Unity as something like a "level editor" for a game that you'd write in the PSX's SDK.

9. lyokoguerier_unity

lyokoguerier_unity

thank you for your support

my idea is that I program the platform once and I use the editor unity3D to realize my games as it is done for the recent console platform

how should I proceed? is there any tutorial in the net for this programing ?

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

To be honest, you would have more luck 3d printing retro casings, fitting modern consoles, and using modern programming tools, to sell final products.

Is better than trying wear snow skis, when going for a swim :)

If you aim go back in days, you most likely will be expected to read lots of documentations. You may find however, some sparse hobbyist snippets. Don't know how hard, or easy will be to find such.

You should probably look git repositories to start of. Then do web search. I suggest also try different search engines, not only google, as results may differ by far. Then you may get some info you require.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Normally I don't like these kinds of replies, but in this case I'm making an exception because I kinda agree.

If you're not technically minded enough to be able to make a PSX game using SDKs you can find online to play on a modded console, you're certainly not technically minded enough to implement a level between Unity and the SDKs. If you want to make a game that adheres to reproducing the manifestations of the PSX's technical limitations, you can just do that and make it a game on modern platforms.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This is one of those cases where the simple fact you're asking this question says you're not up to the task. Like if someone asks "Can I build a rocket to go to the moon?" Well technically it is possible to build such a rocket, but the fact you're asking means the answer is an obvious "no." No one who actually is capable of building such a thing would ask such an overly general question.

The task ahead would be basically reverse engineering a Unity project to convert it to a form the SDK(s) for the old PSX need. If this was something which you could do within a reasonable time frame (still likely years), you'd already know exactly what to do. You'll need years building up the relevant expertise, then likely years building your exporter/importer, and then now that you're likely close to a decade into your project you're finally at a point to start working on your game. It is just silly really.

That's the way I see it at least. If adding old retro platforms was a rather trivial task, Unity would have done it already.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    SparrowGS and Ryiah like this.
  13. kdgalla

kdgalla

Speaking of technically minded, wasn't the PSX still in that era where you had to be pretty handy with raw assembly language to get anything to actually work? The hardware limitations of the PSX would be stifling crippling by today's standards. Trying to shoe-horn modern engine like Unity into that tiny profile would probably just cause more trouble than actually help.

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The PSX basically has a PlayStation 2 built in, and the PlayStation 2 had a whopping 32MB of RAM. It also uses a proprietary MIPS based CPU with its own instruction set that doesn't resemble anything Unity can actually build for, and the CPU was never used in any non-PlayStation products.

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

The colloquial term for the original Playstation is PSX. Nobody is talking about the video recorder based off the PS2 that only released in Japan, cost a thousand goddamn dollars that nobody even bought.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  16. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

17. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well that means just 2MB of RAM then, but at least the CPU was used in a handful of other products. Still nothing Unity comes close to building for though.

18. lyokoguerier_unity

lyokoguerier_unity

so how to start for powers to code this plugin? for a good start?

19. Amon

Amon

You're not reading what people are telling you, are you?