Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Build Steps view (beta)

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by victorw, Jan 29, 2019.

1. victorw

victorw

Next time you're looking at the Full Log of a project which has been built recently on a 2017+ Unity version, you might notice something new - the Build Steps view! This is based on the new Unity Build Reports feature in the editor. You might find it a useful way to find out which errors and warnings were generated during the build. It can also be used to identify places where the build is taking an excessive amount of time.

That said, it does have a lot of limitations and there's plenty of room for us to improve it. The build steps are currently exactly the same as the build report generated by the Unity Editor - it doesn't include any of the additional steps that might be required by UCB such as cloning your repo. We are looking into adding those as a high priority however.

If you discover any cases where you want to view the build steps but they are not being generated, it would be great if you could report them here so that I can investigate them and keep improving the quality of this feature. You won't get any build steps if your build fails due to a C# compilation error, this is because compilation errors prevent us from executing the code that outputs the build steps for UCB consumption.

If you come across any other scenarios where you're surprised that the build steps aren't being generated then I would be happy to look into them - in most failure cases I do expect that you should be able to see build steps but there may be unexpected UCB issues preventing them from being saved correctly. Also please feel free to let me know if you see any other anomalies in your build steps.

2. iMer

iMer

I feel like the UCB steps are definitely needed to outline where all the time is going, at least in our case

3. dri_richard

dri_richard

Any progress on these extra steps? The import time would be really useful to see.