Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question Build size increase when updating to IAP 4.2+

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by karyll, Sep 2, 2022.

1. karyll

karyll

Hi,

Due to Google Play Billing Library 4.0 being enforced, I have updated to from IAP 4.1.3 to IAP 4.4.0. I understand that now the Analytics library is being added to my project as a dependency. In my case this comes with a 5MB increase in build size(see file sizes before and after update). The previous version (4.1.3) was just ~1MB in my build, and now I get 5MB of extra stuff that I don't need. On top of that, I have also an Instant version of my game, and the challenge there is to be under 15 MB core size. Before updating my build sizes were ~14MB, and after update I'm above 16MB which will prevent me from rolling out future updates.

Is there a way to get rid of the new Analytics from my build and just stick with the IAP?

Installed version size compare
    upload_2022-9-2_16-5-53.png

Instant version size compare
    upload_2022-9-2_16-3-50.png
    upload_2022-9-2_16-7-26.png

Attached Files:

2. HamzaSheikh3334

HamzaSheikh3334

Sorry cause it's irrelevant but does IAP 4.4.0 solves the google play billing version 4 error only play console. and also mention your unity version. your response is highly appreciated. Thank you :)

3. karyll

karyll

I did not go productive with 4.4.0, I rolled back to 4.1.3, so I do not know about the play console message. In theory it should dissapear.

I'm on 2020.3.33

4. HamzaSheikh3334

HamzaSheikh3334

it worked for me but not my admob ads aren't showing up.. i guess it would be an sdk issue :(

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

The size increase is expected, we have additional core dependencies . You need Unity IAP 4.4.0 or above to avoid the message from Google.

6. karyll

karyll

Thanks Jeff for clarifying.

7. comixplay

comixplay

Hi Jeff,
    Is there anything we can edit/remove/tweak ourselves to avoid those few megabytes?

karyll likes this.
  8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately I don't believe so at this time, but I've mentioned the issue to the engineering team.

karyll likes this.
  9. karyll

karyll

hopes intensify... :)

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Can you share your manifest.json? Perhaps we can find an unneeded package or dependency to keep you under 15Mb

11. karyll

karyll

Here it is. I added the "txt" extension so it can be uploaded here.

Attached Files:

12. GamerixTech

GamerixTech

Hi Jeff, Even we are concerned about the increase in 5MB build size due to IAP 4.4.0+ upgrade . Any reduction in size is highly appreciated.

Dasp and karyll like this.
  13. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

We have added IAP 4.4.0+ and it has increased our size by 5.5 mb. I am amazed why such a small package is taking so much size.

Does unity even test before publishing package? Is the size aspect even taken into consideration?

Overall the package size should be reduced, on top of that there should be an option to choose purchasing platform if anyone chooses only 1 platform then it should reduce the size even further.

Dasp and karyll like this.
  14. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

Hi Jeff,

Any help regarding how we can reduce the size with latest IAP 4.4.0+ plugin?

Earlier it used to take less than a mb but now it is taking 5.5+ mb in build size.

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

I've mentioned it to the team a couple of times now. So far, it is looking like expected behavior with the current dependencies. I'll keep trying!

16. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

Thanks for the reponse. Meanwhile is there anything else we can do to reduce size manually ?

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Not to my knowledge, sorry.

abdullahdar likes this.
  18. karyll

karyll

Jeff, I've been browsing through the discussions on this sub-forum and correct me if I'm wrong, but all these extra dependencies are added so that revenue is reported via the new Analytics?

19. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

Hi Jeff,

I can see that 4.5.0 has been released, has the issue been addressed in it?'

Also is that any page/forum where we can check to see if there are any updates about this issue ?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  20. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

There are currently no plans to address the size that I am aware of.

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

IAP has always required Analytics, it is how we are able to provide the package for free. Analytics allows you to track user engagement in your game, and allows us to gather usage metrics to better improve our product. This may help https://docs.unity.com/analytics/UnityAnalytics.html

22. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

Thanks for the response

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  23. comixplay

comixplay

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for checking this, I’m not sure how this thread didn’t get more responses.

We spend literally weeks of work trying to shave a few KB from the build, by optimizing code, graphic assets, using special algorithms just so we can remove certain libraries and even not adding new features that will take too much space,

And then all of a sudden we get this mandatory 4-5 MB increase just to force us to use Unity Analytics.

From this thread (Q: Why does the IAP SDK depend on the UGS Analytics SDK?)
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/faq-for-iap-4-2-and-adoption-of-ugs-analytics.1327011/
    It seems that it was done for “ C# compilation expediency and performance efficiency”,
    Honestly, we would do fine without this efficiency, instead, we could add tons of new features to the game that will cost 4-5 MB

I’m not really sure what are our options, we can try and learn how to implement IAP with native code, it’s something we never had to deal with because Unity covered those parts so far...

abdullahdar likes this.
  24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

In full transparency, we include Analytics as a dependency so we can offer IAP for free. We are able to gather anonymous usage information to help improve our platform. I've mentioned the file size increase to engineering.

abdullahdar likes this.
  25. team_jolly_rogers

team_jolly_rogers

@JeffDUnity3D Any update form the engineering team? Build increase around 5.1 mb. We can add many features and assets in this 5 mb. Which is taken by IAP plugin. Please update about the issue.

aqibb4t likes this.
  26. agorain

agorain

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Unfortunately, this issue is not being addressed at the moment but is under discussions.

karyll likes this.
  27. comixplay

comixplay

Hi agorain,
    Is there any way to implement IAP without the unity package? (and preferably without resorting to native code)
    Google used to have their own implementation, but it doesn't support Google Play Billing 4
    https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/unity
    And I guess most asset store assets use Unity IAP behind the scenes.

karyll likes this.
  28. agorain

agorain

Unity Technologies

Hi @comixplay
    You could do it by yourself meaning coding your own IAP layer or you could also check what the asset store could offer as an alternative.

Most of them wrap our sdk, but you might find some who don't seem to use it at a first look.

29. karyll

karyll

I'm using EasyIAP in my project and that's just a wrapper.

@comixplay if you do find alternatives, please share :)

agorain likes this.
  30. amir_unity912

amir_unity912

Updating to IAP package 4.4.1 increased my generated symbols file by around 500mb - even after stripping and rezipping, I'm still at 330mb (an increase of 90mb from previous build) which is above store limit. Any solution?

31. hsgaminators

hsgaminators

Attached Files:

32. abdullahdar

abdullahdar

In symbols folder, delete all the files with extension : dbg.so
    Zip the remaining, this will decrease your symbols size. We do the same when i have this issue.

33. team_jolly_rogers

team_jolly_rogers

How long we have to wait for this?
    Play console requirement is to update all games IAP 4+. And it is increasing build size of all games. This is not fare at all.

34. agorain

agorain

Unity Technologies

team_jolly_rogers and karyll like this.
  35. team_jolly_rogers

team_jolly_rogers

36. Ozzy

Ozzy

Unfortunately this makes android instant games impossible as it makes even an empty project's build go past the 15.7mb limit

37. karyll

karyll

I removed IAP's altogether from my instant build. Instead of the purchase workflow I just pop up a message "please install the game". It's stupid and it's sad, but it's better than not being able to update the game at all.

team_jolly_rogers and Ozzy like this.